Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eyefinity - holy crap!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

lmimmfn wrote: »
    youre not supposed to tilt your head to the peripheral screens, e.g. if playing CoD4 tilting your head to see a guy is pointless as he must be on the centre screen for you to shoot him, you can see him out of the corner of your eye and turn your character to bring him to the centre screen.
    The ideal setup for 3 screens is having your regular PC setup and plonking a screen either side of your main screen.

You misunderstood me, I dont tilt my head, its the side screens which are at an angle - giving the peripheral vision effect. However, I dont think you appreciate what 90 inches of screen 1.5 feet from your face is like... its far from ideal!!

My point is simple, to get such a setup going which you could play comfortably is more trouble than its worth...

So, do I start shifting around another desk to put my monitors on, leaving the room in even more bloody disarray... *or* turn on the tv/projector & amp and sit back... hmmm...

Well you enjoy your eyefinity, its not for me - not atm anyway.

This is pretty much the distance between my eyeballs on the monitors (ok the shot makes it look a lil closer than it actually is, but you get the idea). Plus im highlighting the painfully bad boarders (broken space) Id be putting up with.... with the other options I have at hand, why on earth would I endure this!?

boarderonapple30s.jpg

(Apologies for the image quality, had to use a phone to take pic - my 'real' camera wouldnt take such a close shot, the pic on the previous page was taken from about 16 feet away)

So my advice to anyone bothering with eyefinity is, be sure you get the right monitors for the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Dude, for dual montors... you don't put them like that, you put them side by side horizontally.

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Dude, for dual montors... you don't put them like that, you put them side by side horizontally.

Pass, waaaay too much hassle and the boarders are equally as big also. Plus Im leaving my side rig without a display and robbing my bf's main rig screen.... all to have 3 big ass lob sided screens on my desk? Ugh....

No thank you.

Novelty over.

The end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

wait till the OLED screens get bigger, I think they're supposed to be mailable, like a piece of cloth. you could wrap it around your position without the hindrance of bevels (or bezels or whatever they're called).

they're only very small at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcAm3KihFho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

Thanks for that link RE OLED, pretty cool tech coming down the line.

If i didn't know better, I'd say the Matrix is coming faster than we expected or maybe a mix of Dollhouse, Matrix, Star gate and star trek who knows :) e.g. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-chip-brain-implants-control,9131.html

There was an eyefinity challenge in Dallas a few days ago run by Hardocp and AMD:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/11/19/eyefinity_challenge_in_dallas_tx

Anyone doing anything like this in Ireland? It needs to be seen I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

CrinkElite wrote: »
    wait till the OLED screens get bigger, I think they're supposed to be mailable, like a piece of cloth. you could wrap it around your position without the hindrance of bevels (or bezels or whatever they're called).

they're only very small at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcAm3KihFho

It will be a good few years before the price of OLEDs come down.

I know. cool though.

zappb wrote: »
    Thanks for that link RE OLED, pretty cool tech coming down the line.

If i didn't know better, I'd say the Matrix is coming faster than we expected or maybe a mix of Dollhouse, Matrix, Star gate and star trek who knows :) e.g. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-chip-brain-implants-control,9131.html

Disgraceful.

yea real ghost in the shell brain hacking stuff eh?

The article seems more of a joke than really news, but things are definitely moving in that direction.

• Advertisement

Some of the comments are very funny from that toms article
    Why put a chip in the brain? Isn't it better to take the brain out and plugged it in a socket inside a huge chip that's part of a huge gold robot? It's like you get a new body that never rusts? Steve Austin the Bionic Man couldn't hold a candle up to you because you'd be worth 6 Billion.
    "I think [implanting chips into human brains] is well within the scope of possibility.""
    ==>and I THINK you are an IDIOT!
    What a bunch of luddites. I would love to be able to control a computer with my brain. I would also love to run my personality on a computer (immortality anyone?)
    If you can't handle the future, stay out of the way of those who can!
    Moore's law states that CPU speeds double every two years. So either you get left with a P4 chip whilst everyone else is running Dual Cores or you get your head ripped open for an upgrade every 2 years. Hmmm? also liked the comment about generation 1 - first adopters may not have required TRIM support and stuck playing tetris
    yeah don't forget too if you buy an amd product itnel wil shut down your body functions LOL
    the quotes and corresponding flame war is well worth the 20 mins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Some of the comments are very funny from that toms article

"The question is, Can we run Crysis?"

Effluo, help me bring this back to relate to eyefinity again (sorry thread is off topic officially) GO READ THOSE COMMENTS!

eh...imagine controlling 3 monitors with just your brain plug in a few hdmi cables, one in each ear and where would you put the other one?

There was an eyefinity challenge in Dallas a few days ago run by Hardocp and AMD:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/11/19/eyefinity_challenge_in_dallas_tx

Anyone doing anything like this in Ireland? It needs to be seen I think.

Well I have seen it! And I can say with great certainty that if you think this is cool, then as of this very moment, its past your bed time :p

THIS is far more fun and far less hassle (Altho I dont have it on a wrap-around myself (that would be nice), just a flat screen).

Where did you get the screen to do that!? And yes, i'm up in 6 hours so will you please keep this thread company for the rest of the night,

Big deal. I modded by brain and put in an e8400. So far am having some stability issues and pissing my pants every time I try to overclock.
    Quote :
    If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. That's all I'll say here. Put it this way though, it'd be nice if there were an easy way to make the rest of the world smarter and change most people's way of thinking, at least where I live.

Change the way people think? WTF. That's worse than "not saying anything nice"

Where did you get the screen to do that!? And yes, i'm up in 6 hours so will you please keep this thread company for the rest of the night,

Ehm, the screen is about the lest technical item in this room o.O its a blank canvas with a lil pulley :eek:

What's the deal with projectors?
    Like don't they have generally very low resolutions and so you wouldn't need an amazing gpu or two to run games on it?

I'm just thinking here about what my ideal setup would be. Imagine having three projectors in eyefinity, Gaming with a cinema screen!

Also how good can projectors be, the only ones i've ever seen working are those at regular presentations and college...

you must show me how to set that up..

I thought they were already implanting silicon?
    I always knew this was coming.

I always had an idea to pass on the Billions of TB's of information from us to are children.

A child would never have to do the same school we already did.

Why should we learn and relearn the same things every generation.

If you ask me it's a Major setback in the progression of are future.

Million of combine years have bean Wasted learning what we already know.

Effluo wrote: »

I'm just thinking here about what my ideal setup would be. Imagine having three projectors in eyefinity, Gaming with a cinema screen!

Thats's a good idea.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Effluo wrote: »
    What's the deal with projectors?
    Like don't they have generally very low resolutions and so you wouldn't need an amazing gpu or two to run games on it?

Also how good can projectors be, the only ones i've ever seen working are those at regular presentations and college...

Projectors are like monitors in a way. You can get crap low res ones or much better much higher res ones.

• Advertisement

wouldn't that mean three relatively low resolution projectors(ie. cheap) turned on their side maybe(if possible) would give you a nice high-res picture?

power draw would be ridiculous I'd imagine.

CrinkElite wrote: »
    wouldn't that mean three relatively low resolution projectors(ie. cheap) turned on their side maybe(if possible) would give you a nice high-res picture?

power draw would be ridiculous I'd imagine.

Well it seems that the cheaper ones are usually a res of 800*600

So the res of three would be 2400*600.

That's bad isn't it?

Oh and turned on it's side they would be
    1800*800

Which isn't so bad. You could run games at that res from a 5770 pretty well!
    Would look savage too...

It'd be a nightmareto manage tho, you'd have to project from behind in reverse. you'd need acres of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

swirlser wrote: »
    This is pretty much the distance between my eyeballs on the monitors (ok the shot makes it look a lil closer than it actually is, but you get the idea). Plus im highlighting the painfully bad boarders (broken space) Id be putting up with.... with the other options I have at hand, why on earth would I endure this!?
    From your pic you should have 1 screen behind the other reducing the bevel by 1/2, my bevel is around 1.6cm

From your pic you should have 1 screen behind the other reducing the bevel by 1/2, my bevel is around 1.6cm

For some reason you dont seem like to reading entire posts... Any one of my points as to why Eyefinity is not an option for me at this time is valid. The fact that I feel its just too much hassle, the fact that Id be leaving other machines without a display, the fact id have to reorganise the room to get the monitors at an adequate distance, the fact ive various other means to get that lovely immersive gaming experience happening without fiddling with multiple displays.... take your pick

Having the side monitors behind the centre monitor to reduce that boarder is unacceptable. If someone tried to sell me a car and there was a very slight bump or noise of some sort, only very occasionally but ofc 'you would get used to that in no time!' ............ *I dont ever want to get used to that, ever. Ever* Thats where I stand on the issue

I did say Eyefinity could be fun if your using the right monitors, clearly in my case, this isnt so.

But good for you, youve managed 1.6cms. Post some pics, show us all how its meant to be done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Have you ever used 3 monitors before?

If not, then you have no idea if you would like it or not.

For some reason you dont seem like to reading entire posts... Any one of my points as to why Eyefinity is not an option for me at this time is valid. The fact that I feel its just too much hassle, the fact that Id be leaving other machines without a display, the fact id have to reorganise the room to get the monitors at an adequate distance, the fact ive various other means to get that lovely immersive gaming experience happening without fiddling with multiple displays.... take your pick

Having the side monitors behind the centre monitor to reduce that boarder is unacceptable. If someone tried to sell me a car and there was a very slight bump or noise of some sort, only very occasionally but ofc 'you would get used to that in no time!' ............ *I dont ever want to get used to that, ever. Ever* Thats where I stand on the issue

I did say Eyefinity could be fun if your using the right monitors, clearly in my case, this isnt so.

But good for you, youve managed 1.6cms. Post some pics, show us all how its meant to be done :)
    i didnt anything regarding the whole posts only that the setup should have one screen behind the other to reduce the bevel size, thats all, some dont like it some do.
    I use my setup for software developement and most of the time i have 2 screens on anyway, it cost me 80euro in total to have a 3 screen display. You cannot have the same FOV with any 32" or 40" or whatever, thats no different from playing Grid or whatever on my 40" which frankly sucks in comparison to a 3 screen setup where you basically see most of what you would normally see driving a car, a 40" or whatever will just give you a blown up view of the centre screen in a 3 screen setup.

Not liking one screen behind the other is completely your own choice, you cant have it all though, if you really want the best setup there are semi circular screens with multiple DP inputs available for 10K EURO and more, otherwise theres the anamorphic screens which cost a fortune also.

Ive posted a vid link of my setup in the first page, course my setup is only cheapy :), here it is again, i only did it for the laugh, but i cant go back now so will be getting more 22" screens in the future or go all 24" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlp0-pbijjM
    Btw im not using eyefinity in that setup, just softTH, also the left screen wasnt aligned properly in that vid as it was just a first quick setup.

Ive posted a vid link of my setup in the first page, course my setup is only cheapy

Well if that works for you, great.

Im more than happy with the tv/projector option for racing games and such.

• Advertisement

Well if that works for you, great.

Im more than happy with the tv/projector option for racing games and such.
    exactly, at the end of the day it boils down to what you like, i think its quite cool, i also like projector gaming, moreso for consoles though, prob from the old wipeout days :)

Advertisement