Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick easy receipe

Options
  • 18-11-2009 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I'm looking for something quick and easy that i can cook that will feed about 8-10 people. I'm going to be fairly busy that evening so i dont want something that will take ages, i could make lasange but it takes too long (especially since i cook it from scratch) anyone any other ideas? cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

fajitas, AND they can serve themselves....

(esp good for fussy bunnies who dont like some things in teh wrap but do like others...)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

Why dont you do a big pot of chili? Takes about 25 mins to cook (prob a bit longer with the quantity you'll need) and all you have to do is stick some boil in bag rices in boiling water. Stick some spudz in the oven in foill for an hour and maybe some garlic bread.

Serve it in huge bows, let people help themselves.. Then they have the choice of rice or baked potatoes, and some garlic bread on the side.
    Whole thing should take you half an hour to prep and get cooking..
    Eazy Peezy!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Lasagne will only take 15 mins to prep and 25 to cook.

Prob the fastest other than pasta with simple sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

olaola wrote: »
    Lasagne will only take 15 mins to prep and 25 to cook.

Prob the fastest other than pasta with simple sauce.
    with the lasagna i make it takes a lot longer than that, mainly because you need to simmer the bolognise for a good while to let it all cook down and i dont have time for that and i dont like using jars etc.

@jeege - do you have a receipe for the chilli or would you just use a jar of chilli from the supermarket? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

Chicken pasta bake. Takes about 15 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to bake. Step 1 cheat and buy a cooked chicken!

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/8077/chicken+and+cheese+pasta+bake

• Advertisement

I use the Schwartz packet mix. One packet to one good pound mince to one can tomatoes. If you are feeding 8 - 10, I would get 5 packs to be sure, maybe do it in 2 seperate pans to save cooking time. You will also need about half a tin of kidney beans per pack. Sounds abit messy but I promise it's so easy and tastes great!! You dont need to add ggarlic or season or anything.. the packet mix is gorgeous, and Im fussy about my food!!!

Robin132 wrote: »
    with the lasagna i make it takes a lot longer than that, mainly because you need to simmer the bolognise for a good while to let it all cook down and i dont have time for that and i dont like using jars etc.

I never use jars - doesn't take me that long! Use tomato paste along with tinned tomates. It's all going to cook in the oven anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

cheers guys

Cottage pie is another quick one - takes as long to prep as cooking the spuds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i find chilli takes longer to cook than bolaginaise (min four hours).
    quick food would probably not be tomato sauce based

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Chicken savoyarde - make it the day before and pop in the oven on the night. Serve it with boiled salad spuds and a big bowl of green leaves. A brilliant party piece and unusual enough to have your guests talking about it for days.

Rereading the original post. assemble the lasagne on the day before, but dont pop it in the oven. then cover with tinfoil on the day, and cook till the inside is hot, then whip off the tinfoil to brown the cheese

That's how i serve lasagne to guests, no wash-up to be done while they watch, it all looks very effortless and clean.

A good side-dish is garlic doughballs. Good for sharing. Make a white yeast bread as normal (again, you can let it rise in teh fridge, so you could prepare it before you go to work, and then shape it when you get home) make golfball size balls of dough, flour the outside lightly and put into an oven dish, put them near but not touching, let proove on teh counter for a halfhour or so. Then pop into the oven and let cook. when they look nearly done, brush with garlic butter and sprinkle on some rosemary and let to cook fora bit longer til they're nice and golden on top. the floured balls touch but dont fuse during cooking, making it very easy to share.

Tree wrote: »
    i find chilli takes longer to cook than bolaginaise (min four hours).
    quick food would probably not be tomato sauce based
    The Chilli takes about 25 mins to cook, just fry the mince and simmer it with the sauce for about 20 mins..

I think it's the homemade tomato sauces that take a couple of hours to simmer..

Advertisement