Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N95 problems connecting to internet from home wifi

• 18-11-2009 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all,

Hopefully some one can point me in the right direction on this.
    Am having problems connecting to internet on wifi at home.
    The phone pick up the router but keeps giving me a message saying
    "Web:No gateway reply" after maybe 10-15 sec.
    Had been woring fine until recently. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

Fixing this is something like this procedure:

settings-connection-destinations-internet-[highlight your network]-options-edit-options-advanced settings-ip4 settings

Then you'll see a screen.
    a) manually assign the phone an IP address. Make this really high like 192.168.1.100 so it won't clash with the DHCP addresses generated by your router. When I say high it's the "100" bit I mean as high. Also with some routers you may have to go 192.168.2.100.
    I've never seen a router that didn't use 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.2.xxx but it IS possible.
    If you're in trouble, check out the way your router does it with someone who knows..

b) Default gateway. This would be 192.168.1.1 or whatever system your router uses. The bottom line is to make the last number 1. ie xxx.xxx.xxx.1

c) Change the DNS addresses to either the ones supplied by your ISP or the openDNS addresses. The OpenDNS addresses are 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220

It's because a lot of routers don't "expect" anything other than a MS/Mac/Linux PC, so you have to do some of the work normally done automatically for them.

There are a lot of reasons why this can present as a problem happen suddenly. It's not really worthwhile figuring it out as even if you find the cause you often can't do anything about it.

I'm working from memory here, you may have to figure out some of the steps around what I wrote. If you're stuck, post back as to what step you're stuck on. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The no gateway reply error is normally a difference of the WEP or the WPA. Or if you have mac filtering in your router, and you haven't entered the phone mac address into the router settings. To find out your phones mac address, enter
    *#62209526#, you can remember it by *#MAC0WLAN# ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 glebe

Tried all of the above guys, still no luck.
    Have messed about with various other settings and
    still nothing. Any other ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

glebe wrote: »
    Tried all of the above guys, still no luck.
    Have messed about with various other settings and
    still nothing. Any other ideas.

Has to be something simple your just missing. Turn off the wireless security on the router, it might help you. Or post your router model if you need some more help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I get the same message both on an N95 and an E71 when I'm far from the router. OP, does it happen when you are close by to the router?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

Glebe this is a known issue with a lot of routers, what you're describing. Even what Jimmy is describing in the post above me.

[The reason it doesn't happen when you're close is because when you're far away you break connection temporarily and the DHCP screws up in reassigning presuming that you're a PC]

It's possible you have a different problem, but please double check for your own sake.

I am presuming that your wireless security settings are correct, because you sound like you wouldn't make that wrong, but the other settings are fiddly, particularly if you're not quite sure how to configure your router.

If you type in http://192.168.1.1/ into Internet Explorer (Or Safari if it's an Apple machine) what happens? Do you get a page all about your router?

If you don't, try http://192.168.2.1

Please make sure that it is IE if it's a Microsoft machine or Safari if it's an Apple, just to remove any other complications. Any browser SHOULD work, but then again, so should any phone!

Life's not always the way it should be!

Anyway, sorry if this is partonising you.
    I have OFTEN made mistakes in router configurations.
    If you do a couple in a month, you do them blindfolded.
    If you don't do one in a while, I personally make silly mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hi all,

Hopefully some one can point me in the right direction on this.
    Am having problems connecting to internet on wifi at home.
    The phone pick up the router but keeps giving me a message saying
    "Web:No gateway reply" after maybe 10-15 sec.
    Had been woring fine until recently. Any ideas?

A few things spring to mind

1) Does the router work properly with a laptop/other device?

2) Can you go to the router home page on the laptop and change settings/configuration? (don't actually do anything, just checking)

If it is working fine, then at least you know the problem is with the phone.

3) In the router settings, can you see the number of connected devices? If so, does the phone show up as being connected? (you may have to refresh a few times)

4) As Davy said above, do you have Mac filtering on? If so, switch it off for now

And finally, if all else fails, turn off all security settings and see will the phone connect.

One other thing - do you have any other wireless devices, such as cordless phones/TV senders/etc. that may be interfering with the WiFi signal? This caused me a lot of grief a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 glebe

Still no luck guys with this.
    I have a feeling its the security settings on the router.
    Cant get into the router as its telling me I have wrong
    username and password even though they should be both default ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Still no luck guys with this.
    I have a feeling its the security settings on the router.
    Cant get into the router as its telling me I have wrong
    username and password even though they should be both default ones.

There is usually a recessed button at the back/bottom of a router that you can press with a paperclip to reset it.

Advertisement