Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monitor to use as TV

• 18-11-2009 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I'm looking to get a new 22/24 inch HD PC monitor but want to also use it to watch TV. I have Sky plus and multiroom so ideally would like to connect a "magic eye" to the monitor so I can watch TV from the second Sky box in the other room.

Any suggestions on what I should go for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Does the Sky box offer HDMI out? If so, you can get a HDMI to DVI convertor, which will let you plug the video stream into the monitor (assuming the monitor has DVI in, which it should). However, you'll still have an issue with audio that'll need to be sorted separately (HDMI carries audio, DVI doesn't).

You could also consider getting a monitor with a HDMI input. I'd suggest this if you haven't already got the monitor. (The one I've linked also accepts SCART, so you don't need to have HDMI out on the Sky box.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ive done the research, and frankly youre almost always better off using a TV to use as a monitor. So much less hardware headache involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mistercrow

Thanks guys. I am now thinking I might get an AV transmitter of some kind to wirelessly do the Sky thing. Does the same apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

have you a pc monitor with remote controlled volume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

SIMPLER TO ATTACH A video sender to the sky box cost 60euro argos and buy a tv 21inch adverts.ie50euro.I DONT think a magic eye works on a vga pc monitor cost it outputs video signal uhf channel 36.I SUPPOSE you could run svideo or rgb to the monitor if it has svideo or rgb interface,thats very unlikely.OR JUST Use magic eye to the tv.Powercity have lcd tvs with uhf/vhf in and vga in 150euro,www.powercity.ie,but the vga pc res is max 1024x768.

• Advertisement

Thanks Gamer. Yeah was thinking of getting a TV but the resolution was putting me off. I will still be using the screen mainly for computing to want to make sure the display is decent.

mukki wrote: »
    have you a pc monitor with remote controlled volume?

Haven't bought the monitor yet. Is that something I need to ensure?

WELL you can buy an lcd tv with uhf and with vga in but you,d need to check the pc resolution carefully as it may only support 1024x768 ,refresh rate 60mhz, ie my hdtv only supports50/ 60mhz refresh rate thru vga.
    I find 1024 res is fine for web browsing and youtube.ON SOME TVS 75MHZ could damage the tube.
    Prbly better to buy a 1080p tv not 1080i.
    I VE SEEN pc MONITORS with svideo and vga in .
    IF you buy a tv first read the manual, re pc recommended resolutions and refresh rate from vga/dvi.

This tv in powercity has pc vga max pc res 1360x768 max pc refresh rate 60megahertz.
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-11
    model 22pfl3404 philips lcd 284 euro.
    SEE HERE manual download 1meg, http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=22PFL3404D/12&slg=en&scy=IE

Advertisement