Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facing your fears

• 18-11-2009 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭

I personally am terrified of heights and my
    friends/family keep saying I should face my
    fears.

That ever actually work for anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Arsonist wrote: »
    and remember if the parachute doesnt work to hold up your arm with your watch on in case any body wants it

Funniest thing I've seen all day:D
    But not too reassuring for the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Jokes on you I dont wear a watch! :)
    Seriously though has it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Is it alright to bring this thread back to life??

I also have a fear of heights. Well sort of...in certain situations

I've no problem going up in planes, probably because I'm seated and not going to fall anywhere as such....but ladders on the other hand... FREAK me out.

Mother tried encouraging me lately when putting the decorations up into the attic. When I say encouraging I mean practically forcing me to get over my fear of it.
    That doesn't help matters.

I suggest you try it bit by bit. Each time getting that bit higher/closer to the ledge to look down at the height you are at....or whatever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I would love to be able to face my fear of spiders, but to be honest...I think it would be an incredibly long and difficult process. ='(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

I personally am terrified of heights and my
    friends/family keep saying I should face my
    fears.

That ever actually work for anyone?

i was afraid of heights

i ended up working in an amusement park in the states one summer on the biggest roller coaster (at the time)

the guy who was training me MADE me go on it on my first day against my will.. it wasnt so bad

then on my second day i was FORCED to climb this 200 ft steel stairs to the top of the below steps to press some emergency stop buttons during the morning test runs (i am now not only not afraid of heights but i love them)

i used to love sitting at the top of these stairs on my own in the mornings enjoying the view:

i used to climb up the left hand side of this (there is stairs and phones and buttons on all the way up)

SFGAdv37.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I faced my fear this week!!! I hate water, particulaly the ocean. When I was a kid i was playing the sea and i swam into a massive plank of wood and sliced my chest open, that was the end of me and water. I even used to panic in a swimming pool if i went near the deep end.
    Well my boyfriend has been threatening to get me over my fear for years but i never thought he'd come true on it. But last thursday he booked out a pool for us and told me we were going and i can back out if i get scared once we arrive at the pool. I was so so so unbelievably nervous, but needless to say, i do trust him, so that helped.
    We arrived and i tried to back out four times before he managed to convince me to change and just sit by the edge of the pool.

Well the next two hours went very slow and involved a lot of tears but somhow he got me into the pool and even got me doing a little doggy paddle!! It was terrifying but i did it!!
    He's booked the pool for next week again, he wants me to get over the fear enough to put my head under water. Now that will be a big step for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Pantisniffer

.....two hours went very slow and involved a lot of tears but somhow he got me into the pool and even got me doing a little doggy paddle!! It was terrifying but i did it!!

Well done !;) So,.....when's the wedding day? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭neoB

I was afraid of heights too myself. But my "uncle" made me get rid of them.
    "you can't be a firefighter afraid of heights idiot" so he took me up on a roof and ladder training and I got over it. But it didn't get rid of my megalophobia :S. That I have been dealing with for ages...don't think i'll ever get rid of that. Nearly fainted holding my boys hand going through the mri scanner. Might have to take some hypnosis or something for that one!

Advertisement