Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i find out who owns a business

Options
  • 18-11-2009 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

what to go to the top with a complaint about a local business how to i get the information without contacting the business itself. i heard of a register is it what i look in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

try the c.r.o.
    www.cro.ie

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Depends what the company is? A limited company will be listed in the Companies Registration Office (as shown above) A smaller business might take a little more work to track down the owner, but there are ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

If you're checking the CRO, make sure you select the option to check both company and business names

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I usually use solocheck its a bit more expensive than the cro but its presented better and easier to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MadMickeyMonk

The CRO is the best and all you have to do is buy a copy of an accounts return and it will have a list of directors and md on it. 2.50 is all per document

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Lorelei

only works if a registered company. Registered businesses do not need to fill in returns.
    However by law the business owneres name, vat number and business address have to be shown on invoices, orders and letterheads.
    Should be on there if not possibly evading tax report to revenue those guys are great at finding people they have more power than the gards

Lorelei wrote: »
    only works if a registered company. Registered businesses do not need to fill in returns.
    However by law the business owneres name, vat number and business address have to be shown on invoices, orders and letterheads.
    Should be on there if not possibly evading tax report to revenue those guys are great at finding people they have more power than the gards

A VAT invoice must show the name, address and VAT number of the supplier.
    If the business isn't VAT registered, AFAIK the invoice just needs the business name and address, but not necessarily the owner name.

I'm pretty sure there's no requirement to show the owner's name on orders or letterheads.

However, the business name should still be registered at the CRO.

If a sole trader is trading under a name other than his own then he must show
    name and t/a as, otherwise his name must be shown,
    CRO registration only required if trading under a business name.

Lorelei wrote: »
    If a sole trader is trading under a name other than his own then he must show
    name and t/a as, otherwise his name must be shown,
    CRO registration only required if trading under a business name.

Apologies, was just coming back to correct this, you're right.
    (Although I presume they are trading under a business name since the OP is trying to find the owner name)

• Advertisement

Sounds that way,

Advertisement