Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salvage yard media system

Options
  • 18-11-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭

Basicly im wondering how the following will run, because its small and neat i will use as a media center.most of it was gonig into the bin but hey i will do my bit to aid recycling :)

Dell GX270, 3.0Ghz P4 , 2Ghz DDR, 500sata drive. 128mb AGP GFX card .

so I will be kindly helping my self to one of the Windows 7 disks instores :) 32bit .Since it is a lower spec , I wondering how it will handle Windows 7 or should I just stick XP on it.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/35019650/aview/DellGx270.jpg

Comments

My uncle is running Windows 7 32-bit on a Dimension 5000, same CPU and RAM as yourself, and it runs perfectly fine. What type of graphics card is in yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Joeface

Card is ATi 9250 128mb

That should be ok I'd say, he has an X300. Not sure how well Windows 7 works with AGP though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tried out 7 on a 2.4Ghz with 4x128DDR and a 128MB AGP.

Graphics card just about keeps up, its a little slow, but its fine as a surfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Joeface

short update
    it installed win7 and runs fine

had to use vista driver for gfx card

and now need to swap heatsink for fan version as the fanless doesn't cut it with the 3ghz cpu and win7 running

so im getting there .must order the remote this weekend

• Advertisement
Advertisement