Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a gun safe

Options
  • 18-11-2009 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Have to fit my safe to a SOLID STRUCTURE.Only prob is,my house has stud partition walls.Any ideas,or is this the wrong forum? DIY maybe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Any possibility of placing it against an outside wall or a chimney?
    Solid concrete floor?
    If you really must attach it to a partition wall, run threaded bars all the way through and use spreader plates on the other side of the wall.
    Ideally, weld the bars to the plates and keep the nuts concealed inside the safe.

Make it so that anyone trying to pull out the safe has to take a good chunk of wall with them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Superwarm house.Floors timber,only block part of chimney is in sitting room.Dont think her indoors would be too impressed with that! ha ha ha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There must be a solid wall. Internal walls may be partition but the external walls (whether plastered or studed inside) have to be solid. If not go with Rovi's advice.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

You're stuck with making the thing as awkward as possible then.
    As I already said, bind it into the fabric of the building as much as possible (bolts completely through walls, spreader plates, etc), and make a specific effort to conceal it completely too.

It might be an idea to talk to your local Garda Crime Prevention Officer too, they'll have lots of experience of this sort of thing, and will be able to advise on what will be acceptable to your local Superintendent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Have you an attic space where the chimney goes out through the roof?

• Advertisement

Good point.Its possible,but would be a bit of a pain climbing a ladder into attic every time i wanted gun,ha ha ha

Here you go:
    http://www.stira.com/

Lots of people have their gunsafe in the attic bolted to the chimney, don't dismiss the idea out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You could always screw a sheet of 3/4 or 1" ply to the wall and then fix the safe to the ply. Hide it as well as best you can.make it hard to get any kind of purchase against the edges of the safe.
    Some of the new Mastic adhesives are great for sealing and bonding TEC7 is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

All of your external Walls Must contain concrete somewhere within them, and the chances are they are slabbed with plaster board. In this case you've two options:

1). Cut a square in the plasterboard to the shape of the safe, therefore allowing you to put the safe against the concrete wall and bolt it to it. In my opinion, drastic as it may sound, this is the securest option.

2). Purchase a length of threaded bar, 8mm preferably, along with a few 8mm stud fixers (red heads as they are known). They operate by expanding when pushed into an appropriatley sized hole and the threaded rod being screwed into them. Basically what you need to do is drill through the plasterboard and into the concrete,
    screw a red-head onto a piece of threaded rod that is long enough to protrude through the plasterboard and into the safe and push it into the hole drilled into the concrete. Tighten the threaded rod with a vice grips at the tip. When you have all the threaded rods into the wall push your safe onto them and bolt it down. You may need to cut the end of the rod off because you more than likely will have damaged it with the vice grips, so make sure you leave plenty of length on the rod. Downside to this method is that it may be possible to pry the safe of the wall by bursting the plasterboard either side, but there'd be a hell of a lot of effort involved.

E. Fudd wrote: »
    All of your external Walls Must contain concrete somewhere within them,
    The OP stated: "Superwarm house", so I suspect he's dealing with this sort of house:
    http://www.century.ie/cent/warm.asp

Timber frame houses don't have much in the way of concrete walls, often just the chimney will be concrete or brick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

All of your external Walls Must contain concrete somewhere within them, and the chances are they are slabbed with plaster board.

2). Purchase a length of threaded bar, 8mm preferably, along with a few 8mm stud fixers (red heads as they are known). They operate by expanding when pushed into an appropriatley sized hole and the threaded rod being screwed into them. Basically what you need to do is drill through the plasterboard and into the concrete,
    screw a red-head onto a piece of threaded rod that is long enough to protrude through the plasterboard and into the safe and push it into the hole drilled into the concrete. Tighten the threaded rod with 2 8mm nuts tightened against each other

My house has no block at all, anywhere.The only concrete is the GF slab.

Cheers guys. Have enough options there to be going on with;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Lads you need to think outside the blocks :p

There's also the floor. OP says it's timber so either it's a suspended floor with a subfloor (concrete) or a concrete slab with battens and floor boards (still concrete but not as deep).

In either case the gun safe can be installed flat and fixed to the sub floor (completely concealed under the floor) or slightly recessed into the floor in a concealed place like a wardrobe etc.

rrpc wrote: »
    Lads you need to think outside the blocks :p

There's also the floor.
    Ahem!:
    Rovi wrote: »
    Solid concrete floor?

:D

You went into more detail though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Rovi wrote: »
    You went into more detail though. :)
    No, I did spot that Rovi, I just wasn't sure if you were still in a vertical plane (bolting floor to floor) so I expanded it a bit.

The puns are atrocious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rola

Dont know if this helps but if you have a dormer or 1and half sytle house the space between the internal wall and the eves upstairs is often used for storage. If you have this try fixing your safe to the floor joists( bolt trough the side of safe onto side of floor joist) you are then fixing to part of the structure of the house. if this works let me know because i a looking to buy safe and plan on fixing this way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Have to fit my safe to a SOLID STRUCTURE.Only prob is,my house has stud partition walls.Any ideas,or is this the wrong forum? DIY maybe?

Johnny even if your house is a timber frame house it will most likely have a solid concrete ground floor, bolt it to that somewhere and you should be fine, You can also bolt it to the timber frame wall, use a stud finder to find the studs and bolt into one of them. If its a two story house the chimney will also be blockwork on the first floor so there is another possible location for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,359 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ezridax wrote: »
    There must be a solid wall. Internal walls may be partition but the external walls (whether plastered or studed inside) have to be solid. If not go with Rovi's advice.
    All of your external Walls Must contain concrete somewhere within them, and the chances are they are slabbed with plaster board. In this case you've two options:

Lol,
    Lets hope your shooting is better than your construction knowledge.

OP, Chimney (in attic, mine is in attic party wall) or floor. (party wall might be an option you overlooked, but you may not have one)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Care to elaborate. What is wrong asking does he not have a solid wall in the entire house?:confused:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Care to elaborate. What is wrong asking does he not have a solid wall in the entire house?:confused:
    I read it as a statement of fact, like E.Fudd's

On reading again, you probably meant for an air of disbelieve to come accross, I missed it.
    Apologies, maybe this ? would of prevented, ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

OP if you house is a timber frame construct then find the internal vertical studs and fix safe directly to them using 100mm X 8mm frame fixing screws with a washer if the heads are small you can get them with an oversized posidrive head ,which would be better
    you might be able to line one of the holes up with the horizontal noggins as the studs will be too far apart to hit two vertical ones you can get a little stud finder in an goo hard ware
    if you take some of the advise given earlier you might create a bridge between the outside and inner walls and allow dampness to penetrate
    also if you fix to floor becareful there are no heating pipes in the area
    you will need a very good drill to fix them frame screws and you might have to create a pilot hole in the timber first
    any one trying to steal your safe will have a bit of ajob on their hands

4gun wrote: »
    any one trying to steal your safe will have a bit of ajob on their hands

I reckon it would take all of 2 mins to remove that safe.

fixing to a stud is not an option. A hammer to expose the stud, and a saw in the stud would have the thing out in seconds.
    The safe might be securely fixed to the stud, but the stud doesn't have to stay in the house

Mellor wrote: »
    I reckon it would take all of 2 mins to remove that safe.

fixing to a stud is not an option. A hammer to expose the stud, and a saw in the stud would have the thing out in seconds.
    The safe might be securely fixed to the stud, but the stud doesn't have to stay in the house
    So the threaded bars would be out the window too? A hammer to expose the bars and a hacksaw for the bars. No party wall,detatched house and the chimney is on the outside of house. Why couldnt i have been the third little pig? ha ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

Here is your final option, find a room or closet down stairs where you want to locate the safe.
    Now build a 4in solid wall from floor to celing have have the safe fixed to this, then plaster the wall nice tidy job and gaps around the safe will be sealed with plaster so it will be hard to pry it off your new solid block wall;)

Ha ha ha,and what will i fix THE WALL to,the plasterboard?ha ha ha

Ha ha ha,and what will i fix THE WALL to,the plasterboard?ha ha ha

you can laugh at what you want, if you had a 4in partion wall in a standard house what would that be fixed to.

i will give you a bit of time to think of that one ha ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The Irish Concrete Federation could seize on this as yet another example of how "concrete built is better built". :)

Most safes I've seen have holes for bolts in the bottom, a few anchor bolts into the sub floor and jobs's a good 'un, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

johnner1 wrote: »
    Here is your final option, find a room or closet down stairs where you want to locate the safe.
    Now build a 4in solid wall from floor to celing have have the safe fixed to this, then plaster the wall nice tidy job and gaps around the safe will be sealed with plaster so it will be hard to pry it off your new solid block wall;)

Thats more or less what I did but I already had a solid wall. I put a stud partition across the end of a corridor with a door and five lever mortice lock. This gave me a cupboard about four foot square with it's own zone on the alarm system. Before going to these lengths it might be a good idea to run your plans past the CPO, I found mine very helpful.

If you're talking about a standard house with 2 skins of blocks with a cavity in the middle,then the inner wall is tied to the outer with wall ties. and before you say it(whats the outer wall attached to?),a house has walls,corners etc.,which make it a stable structure,its not just a single wall

Who said anything about a single wall,i said a room or a closet and build a 4inch solid wall you have to use your brains from there on, i never said one wall either you would line the room from floor to ceiling that would make it a stable structure.
    And here i am trying to help i often wonder.

• Advertisement

johnner1 wrote: »
    you can laugh at what you want, if you had a 4in partion wall in a standard house what would that be fixed to.

i will give you a bit of time to think of that one ha ha ha.
    Its fixed to the wall which is incorporated into the structure.I think theres a big difference fixing a partition wall to a block wall than vice versa.You could pull a plasterboard partition away from a block wall and equally imo,you could pull a block wall away from plasterboard.If the block didnt give,the plasterboard certainly would

Advertisement