Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop onto TV

• 18-11-2009 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭

Please help !

I have a Samsung LCD tv and I am trying to put my laptop on it via a VGA cable and it will not work, I have tried this on 2 laptops and still the same.

I am getting out of range on the tv ?

any suggestion ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Try to reduce screen resolution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Remo

tried it.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Check the refresh rate, probably 50 Hz or 60Hz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

Have you pressed the fn button with the right function button to display it? The function button changes with each model. As far as I can remember f8 is dell and f4 is hp?

The picture on the function button is a rectangle with a bar on either side.

Once it's connected you can either add the tv screen as a second monitor through settings or us it as the main monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

If the TV is stating 'out of range', it sounds like the laptop is sending the signal all right, but the TV can't sync with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ricjoe

See here http://www.geckoandfly.com/2009/10/14/connect-laptop-computer-to-tv-with-s-video-dvi-and-hdmi/
    set refresh rate 60mhz resolution 1024x768 or 720x576 set graphics adaptor to pal tv .
    OR READ tv manual pc vga in settings reccomended .EVEN hdtvs have maybe 3
    resolutions 4vga input.Google pc to tv vga setup.SEE
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4797221_connect-pc-vga-tv.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Remo

thanks a mil lads .... tried all this . no luck

TRY set refresh rate to 50,or 6o megahrtz,dowload powerstrip program,install it.
    Reboot ,read this http://members.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60147794

my hdtv 1080i hd accepts only 60megahrtz max,thru vga .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Remo wrote: »
    Please help !

I have a Samsung LCD tv and I am trying to put my laptop on it via a VGA cable and it will not work, I have tried this on 2 laptops and still the same.

I am getting out of range on the tv ?

any suggestion ?

thanks

Hey!

I have a Samsung LCD tv too and I have had this same problem! I did some online research on it and found out that it's actually a common problem with Samsung LCD tvs.

What I found in my case was:

1) 99% of the time, it just would not work - with two of the Dell (Vista) laptops in my house.
    2) It always worked with our Dell desktop (XP)
    3) It always works with my brother's Toshiba (Vista) laptop.

Since I got rid of Vista on my laptop recently and installed XP instead, it NOW began to work on my Dell laptop. However, after only a handful of times, it stopped working again.

I have however found a method that has been successful for me so far. Start with the tv turned off and the laptop turned off (or on standby), and the VGA cable not connected to either.

1) Plug the VGA cable into the laptop and then the tv
    2) Turn on the laptop
    3) Turn on the tv
    4) Select the "PC" source on the tv

I have found this to work for me every time since I started doing it last week. I hope it works for you. As I said, it appears this is a common fault with the Samsung tvs.

P.S. If that exact method does not work, try this slightly alternative method:

2) Turn on the laptop
    3) Turn on the tv, ensuring the source that comes on when you turn on the tv is NOT the "PC" source. i.e. when you turn on the tv, the source that comes on first needs to be HDMI, Ext1 or Ext2 in order for this to work.
    4) Select the "PC" source on the tv

Good luck!

• Advertisement

P.S. Did you know you can buy a VGA-Scart cable? You can get them on eBay for under a tenner. Just make sure the VGA end is "female" and NOT male.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

eskimo wrote: »
    .........VGA-Scart cable?

Can't understand anyone using a vga cable on a Hi-Def tv, hdmi is the obvious choice. As for scart, WTF?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

squod wrote: »
    Can't understand anyone using a vga cable on a Hi-Def tv, hdmi is the obvious choice. As for scart, WTF?
    Not all laptops have HDMI and vga is fine for the resolutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

VGA is fine if you have a decent cable. On a crappy cable you get flickery scan lines. No reason for it not to work though. Especially if the TV has a VGA port.

squod wrote: »

If you have a VGA cable, as would normally be used in desktop computers, you can connect it to any tv that has a VGA socket and use the tv as a monitor with your computer. It works perfectly, and the resolution on my 42" HD tv when used with the VGA cable and with the computer is incredible.

Is it that you don't understand why somebody would use a VGA cable rather than purchasing a new HDMI cable? Well there are many possible reasons. But for a start, why would someone do that when they already have a VGA cable that works perfectly for what they want it for?

As for your confusion regarding the VGA-Scart cable: a VGA-scart cable gives you the ability to connect a computer (whose only video output is VGA) to a television (whose only video input is scart.)

Any more questions then just ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

TRY Pressing,av,av,av,av,av until you see pc picture,press fn plus f4 ,or f5 or f6,f7,f8,f9 to turn on vga out.
    see IF YOU HAVE a function key with square tv symbol on it.TRY plugging the laptop into a vga pc monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

If you have a VGA cable, as would normally be used in desktop computers, you can connect it to any tv that has a VGA socket and use the tv as a monitor with your computer. It works perfectly, and the resolution on my 42" HD tv when used with the VGA cable and with the computer is incredible.

Is it that you don't understand why somebody would use a VGA cable rather than purchasing a new HDMI cable? Well there are many possible reasons. But for a start, why would someone do that when they already have a VGA cable that works perfectly for what they want it for?

As for your confusion regarding the VGA-Scart cable: a VGA-scart cable gives you the ability to connect a computer (whose only video output is VGA) to a television (whose only video input is scart.)

Any more questions then just ask!

Eh, no. Using a scart to connect to a Hi-Hef TV is a nonsense. As for using a vga cable, well the very idea makes me shudder. Use the HDMI port that's what it's there for. DVI to HDMI at least.

WITH all respect that is simply wrong,if you use the correct resolution and refresh rate 60megahertz, eg 1024x768 then you will get a perfect display thru vga equal to hdmi quality.MOST hdtvs have only 3 recommended safe resolutions for pc vga use,720x756 .READ THE TV manual re vga/ pc input .ITS handy to use hdmi for media player s/dvds or 360/ps3 consoles.
    IF i was buying a new laptop i,d get one with hdmi out.
    YOU can use svideo from laptop,fine for videos,dvds, youtube,use res 720x576/ 60mhz, see www.svideo.com
    not good for reading webtxt, for longer than a few minutes.You can buy a vgato scart cable 60euro on ebay,it uses 720x576 resolution only.

I USED adaptor cable vga to dvi,then dvi to hdmi to connect to a hdtv that has no vga in,but if you use too high or /incorrent resolution you,ll damage the tv tube.
    SEE here re vga to dvi
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055034927

Advertisement