Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Xmas after dinner snacks!!!

Options
  • 18-11-2009 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Anyone else find that on Xmas day even after the big dinner ya still find yourself wanting something to eat in the evening??

Could be just me, happened last year after a few glasses of wine and a few pints.....and there was nothing but a fridge full of drink and dinner stuff! So am now thinking "hhmmmm what can I have in the freezer that's handy to cook"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

Where are you going? Sure isn't the Christmas tea supposed to be dirty big turkey,ham and stuffing sandwiches followed by either a big lump of pudding and cream WITH custard or another whack of the booziest Sherry Trifle on the planet?

Failing that fried ham and eggs.

And chocolate brazils. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

washiskin wrote: »
    Where are you going? Sure isn't the Christmas tea supposed to be dirty big turkey,ham and stuffing sandwiches followed by either a big lump of pudding and cream WITH custard or another whack of the booziest Sherry Trifle on the planet?

Failing that fried ham and eggs.

And chocolate brazils. :cool:

Ohh well it's easy I am not a turkey fan nor much of a ham one, I just suffer the turkey on the day for dinner by covering it with gravy to the stage where the damn turkey is absorbing it! And I can't stand trifle.... the creator of last years one turned me off them for life, it looked like wat was a trifle in a bowl until a kid got at it with a great big spoon and gave it a got oul beating and stirring! Low tolerance to sugar and salt so trifle and ham is a nooo nooo for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

ok.
    Well Delia has a lovely recipe for things called Glamorgan Sausages in the old Christmas book of hers.

They're basically a cheese and onion sausage roll. I did some for OH's pot luck lunch in work a while ago, served with a fruity relish and they went down a bomb.

What about a go of wings and dip?
    Or a really posh burger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Ohh well it's easy I am not a turkey fan nor much of a ham one, I just suffer the turkey on the day for dinner by covering it with gravy to the stage where the damn turkey is absorbing it! And I can't stand trifle.... the creator of last years one turned me off them for life, it looked like wat was a trifle in a bowl until a kid got at it with a great big spoon and gave it a got oul beating and stirring! Low tolerance to sugar and salt so trifle and ham is a nooo nooo for me

Blasphemer!!!

I have to say I love an aul Christmas Day - evening snack.... Frozen Mini sausage rolls are something that nobody ever buys, but always gets around Christmas / New Years - so you could get a few of them.

I assume you'll have the party pack (box) of King or Tayto in stock for the season?

How about some mini sausage rolls, then a cheese & onion crisp sandwich, followed by a thick slice of oxford lunch with butter... then polish off the roses & after 8's........

All washed down with a bucket of tea!

God I'm a pig :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Pfft, Christmas pudding (A sliver) with some cream, then the tin of sweets for the evening! :D Then again.. I tend to just skip dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

Paté and crackers. Carrs crackers with philadelphi and grape halves on there... Yum!!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Tins and tins of chocolates and biscuits, selection boxes, chocolate brownies with ice cream (hopefully Ben & Jerry's) and whatever other yummy desserts are there does me fine!

God, I love Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

After dinner: Can of coke with a turkey,ham,stuffing and cranberry sangitch...god I can wait :rolleyes: :D

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I always have coleslaw, potato salad, grated cheese, cranberry sauce and beetroot along with nice french bread (maybe Tiger Bread this year, 'cos I've only discovered it) to have with turkey and ham leftovers. I'm never that hungry though after snacking on junk all afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Buttery, salty, still half warm turkey sambos :p

And then hit the tin of roses, maybe dabble in a little chocolate Santa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Pull out the pre desert cheese board and a box of assorted crackers. Some grapes and any other spreads or toppings of choice. Great coz they will keep you busy for some time and plus...YUM :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

mmmmmmmmm cheeeeese {-_-}

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

More ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I get some of those packs of canapes in Marks or Dunnes, along with mince pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

the best snack after a few pints on Christmas is the left over dinner sandwich.... Best sambo of the year, I always look forward to it.... oh, and a nice cuppa tea mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I usually just spend my evening munching on those meringue nests with fresh cream and fruit!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

3280983237_7bbcc9ae7c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Oooh! Vol-au-vants. Nyom!

Here are my fave fillings:
    • Mashed banana and cream
    • Mushroom soup (thick from can) with chopped mushroom
    • Chicken soup (thick from can) with chicken bits.

You can't beat pate and crackers either ..

or Smoked salmon and Philadelphia on brown bread.

Pavlova with whipped cream and toasted almonds is a great dessert, and lemon meringue pie.

Grilled pineapple rings rolled in cinnamon. Delish!

Shortbread biscuits with clotted cream and half strawberries. Finished off with a Bailey's coffee.

I'm quite the Christmas connaisseur :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

thorbarry wrote: »
    the best snack after a few pints on Christmas is the left over dinner sandwich.... Best sambo of the year, I always look forward to it.... oh, and a nice cuppa tea mmmm

Oh god yes. Spread cranberry sauce on the slices, load up with turkey, ham, pineapple, cheesy brocolli, stuffing & mayo, and a middle slice of bread soaked in gravy.

Thank you Monica from Friends for the Christmas (Thanksgiving) Sandwich!

My boyfs family don't celebrate Christmas or make roast dinner so I bring him a sandwich every St Stephen's day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

gosh i'm drooling - have to get in some "real" butter as well for the chrimbo season:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Advertisement