Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Care / Veterinary Evening Courses??

Options
  • 18-11-2009 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello All, does anyone know of anywhere in Dublin that I can do a Veterinary Nurse or worst case Animal Care evening course??
    I have been searching high and low and all are fulltime or day courses?

Thanks in Adavnce!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

What do you mean worst case animal care?

If you want to get into veterinary nursing, surely some kind of animal care qualification will look good.

I don't think there are any. I've searched colleges all over the country for a course in animal care, veterinary nursing. They are all full time day courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Leanan Sidhe

If you are willing to travel there is an animal welfare course in Gorey Community College starting in September at night. You can find the details here:

www.GoreyAdultEd.ie

Thats the only one that I have heard of that runs at nightime. Hope it helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shellymassey

Hi Lisa, I mean worst case because best case would be an actually veterinary qualification and I have already got some qualifications in animal care/training and equine studies.

Leanan Sidhe - I'll have a look at that thanks

I think at some point Im just going to have to bite the bullet,give up the day job and head back to college, scary but am determined :-D

Ya, i'm in the same situation. Want to do veterinary nursing. I did a distance learning course in animal care already. Its not recognised but its worth a whole lot more to me. And it will at least show my interest when looking for work at a vet's.
    Have you considered moving? There is an animal care course in st.john's central college in cork. You can go on to do veterinary nursing in the second year and its recognised by the veterinary council of ireland. You mentioned that you wanted a part time course too. Well there is work experience once a week involved for the course. I'm not sure if that helps.
    The course is very popular. So much so they are only taking aplications for the course until april 2010. I applied for next year already!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cheeeesecake

I've been trying to find somewhere that does a part time Veterninary Nursing course, but I can only find full time.

University College Dublin and Athlone Institute of Technology both do a BSc in Veterniary Nursing, but they are both 3 year courses.

You could try and get in touch with the Veterniary Council of Ireland and see if they can give you some advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

lisajane wrote: »
    Ya, i'm in the same situation. Want to do veterinary nursing. I did a distance learning course in animal care already.

Sorry just wondering where you done this distance learning course? I have been looking everywhere but keep coming to dead ends, would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sorry just wondering where you done this distance learning course? I have been looking everywhere but keep coming to dead ends, would be much appreciated. Thanks

I done the course with Barony college in Scotland. Here's the link to the course:
    http://www.barony.ac.uk/Courses/CourseDetails.aspx?pid=74&ppid=35&cid=72

The reason why i choosed Barony college was because its an agricultural college. There are alot of distance learning courses but i wouldn't want to a course that claims you'll end up with a diploma at the end of it.

Another reason for choosing it was i able to pay for the course by each unit i did. I usually did 2units at a time and took me a little over a year to complete the whole course.

I found it brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

Just looking it up now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lolabug

I done the course with Barony college in Scotland. Here's the link to the course:
    http://www.barony.ac.uk/Courses/CourseDetails.aspx?pid=74&ppid=35&cid=72

Just emailed this college for more info on the course. Have you been working with animals since? Is the college good? I am hoping to do a veterinary nursing course too but don't want to go back for 4 years to UCD. Wouldn't be able to afford it.
    Any idea if there's a distance learning course you can do while employed for your work experience with a veterinary practice? Really regretting not doing it while it was still a diploma in UCD as you didn't have to be in college full time when it was like that.

lolabug wrote: »
    Just emailed this college for more info on the course. Have you been working with animals since? Is the college good? I am hoping to do a veterinary nursing course too but don't want to go back for 4 years to UCD. Wouldn't be able to afford it.
    Any idea if there's a distance learning course you can do while employed for your work experience with a veterinary practice? Really regretting not doing it while it was still a diploma in UCD as you didn't have to be in college full time when it was like that.

I have been working at a shelter for the past few months. Its only once a week but its something. Its a start.

Have you checked out st john's college in cork city? It has a veterinary nursing course and its recognised by the veterinary council of ireland. Its a 2 year course. Its FETAC awarded. The only fees you do have is a €600 registration fee that includes trips away, grooming kits etc. And living expenses. Beats university fees, I hope so anyway cause i applied to do the course.
    Im not sure about distance learning courses while employed at a vet practice. I have searched high and low and couldn't find anything.

I was going to suggest the UK for you. There used to be alot of RCVS vet nursing courses similar to the diploma that was offfered by UCD. You only spend a few weeks a year in college. There was talk about changing the whole structure of the UK RCVS courses and making them full time.

Not much help to you, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lolabug

Have you checked out st john's college in cork city? It has a veterinary nursing course and its recognised by the veterinary council of ireland. Its a 2 year course. Its FETAC awarded. The only fees you do have is a €600 registration fee that includes trips away, grooming kits etc. And living expenses. Beats university fees, I hope so anyway cause i applied to do the course.

I just moved back from Cork a year ago so lazy about moving again but def its the easiest option if I can't get a distance learning one. Have you applied to start in Sept? My friend is doing the animal welfare course there at the mo and loves it so I'd say you'll like it.
    Thanks for your help. Will keep trawling through the internet to see if I can find anything.

Advertisement