Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5970 on hws, some new AMDs and the GT240

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Looks like i'll be keeping the 5870's they are pissing all over the 5970 at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Anti wrote: »
    Looks like i'll be keeping the 5870's they are pissing all over the 5970 at the moment.
    CF the 5970s :)

Still bad price/performance from them. Hopefully a new driver release will sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

BadCharlie wrote: »
    I have no problem with your 4890 statment only that the price range between the two is alot more then €20 as i just got my cards for 118 each. So your paying for the extra 30% increase in power so it does not look as good as u make it out to be.

have a look at the bargain alerts thread man. 4890s for €140.
    But from what i have seen it beats the 5850 in 75% of the games i looked at and even beats the 5870 in some titles. It all depends on the programing of the game and how well it scales "which In some games the 5750 scales close to 100%". In other games when the programing is poor like crysis & Anno to name two titles the 5750 does not scale well.

Crysis is the most GPU based game of all those benchmarks in that review you linked. If you're talking sheer performance, there isn't a better benchmark than Crysis. Same for the 3DMark score. In terms of raw numerical calculations a single 5850 beats 5750x2 (2088 GFLOPS vs. 2016 according to wiki).

On the other hand the games where the 5750x2 wins out aren't half has intensive. You're talking high frame rates anyway, above 60. The issue there afaik as I know would be memory bandwidth limitations (anyone else confirm?). As in the internal memory bus of the card can't supply the textures and skins to the cores fast enough. But that would only be an issue after you've already achieved high frame rates.

So there you have it. If you want to play games all day long with 'out dated tech' as you call it the 5750x2 is the set-up to go for. But add in more numerical complexity (like space screen ambient occlusion *shudders*) and you'll slowly start to see the 5850 edge it.
    Your post is not total garbage but its far from the truth/facts either.

how the f*ck was it when everything I said had facts/figures to back me up?
    Still bad price/performance from them. Hopefully a new driver release will sort it.

it's because they are under-clocked. they brought down the cores to 5850 speeds to comply with some power regulation thingy (at least, that's what tom's said), but the cards themselves are designed to run at 5870 speeds and can be easily clocked up.

the anandtech article had some probs bumping up the core speeds to 5870 spec

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

kaimera wrote: »
    the anandtech article had some probs bumping up the core speeds to 5870 spec

hmmm, I know Tom's were saying that they got theirs stable well above and beyond 5870 spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Most likely a driver issuse. or it MIGHT me because Running 2 GPUs off a single slot rather than off two slots is not the best idea in the world ;P
    Only if you take back the old crotchety comment, im only 26 :(

NEVAR! I'm 22 and also an old crotchety man set in my ways :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

The major selling point for this card is the fact it has enabled Crossfire Eyefinity.

Good news is some time in Q1. I say when the GT300 cards start coming out, ATI will release the drivers to enable Crossfire Eyefinity on all 5800/5900 Cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

If it's ok with the mods can I ask you guys what cards you wouldn't mind seeing Peats stock. I see mention of the HD4770 and HD5750 here, two cards which we don't currently stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

If it's ok with the mods can I ask you guys what cards you wouldn't mind seeing Peats stock. I see mention of the HD4770 and HD5750 here, two cards which we don't currently stock.

More 5850 stock :pac:

Burgo wrote: »
    More 5850 stock :pac:

Heh heh it's ordered, just the disti's are having a hard time getting hold of it.

+1 for moar 5850s :D

i think everyone is having a hard time getting them at the moment. Such a popular card, as it shoudl be for the price/performance. I haven't seen anything similar to this since the 9800pro !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Crysis:

U only have to look at the graph to see that crossfire scales very very poorly on that game.

Just take a look at 5850 (38) on its own, then its crossfire score (49).

Now look at GTX285 (35) on its own, then in SLI score (57). Hell it even beats the 5870 in crossfire. How can a card one on one it can not beat the 5850 or 5870 but as soon as u put it into SLI it not only catches up but ends up beating the two ATI cards.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5750-review-crossfirex/16

This is my point from my very first post. They can scale very well in crossfire. The 5750 will not beat cards on its own but when add another card its great. The only draw back is that you hope that crossfire will scale well in each game which it does not. We know crysis is a green team game and ATI have a-lot of catching up to do which they prob wont now in this game.

I will stick with my 5750x2 and i have showing that it more then holds a candle to the 5850.

You only have to look at the review sites to see this.

At the moment i think the best cheap buys are 4870, It can run nearly every game at high settings at 19x12. Then you have the 4890. A very nice card and worth the extra 10-20 euro imho.

They you have the new stuff 5850/5870/5970

The 5770 is not a bad card but in Crossfire as pointed out. Just do your best on price and all should be ok.

Blazher wrote: »
    At the moment i think the best cheap buys are 4870, It can run nearly every game at high settings at 19x12. Then you have the 4890. A very nice card and worth the extra 10-20 euro imho.

They you have the new stuff 5850/5870/5970

The 5770 is not a bad card but in Crossfire as pointed out. Just do your best on price and all should be ok.

Hmnn at the moment we have the HD4870 and the HD4890 in stock but the prices aren't great for you lot I think, €164.99 and €184.99. I'll keep looking and see if I can find them cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Put me down for a 5850 as well !!!

Put some pressure on your distributor

Put me down for a 5850 as well !!!

Put some pressure on your distributor

There is such low stock I can't guarantee you anything. Folks who put a deposit down get the first look in I'm afraid, which is kinda fair to be honest. If you did want one you would need to put a deposit on one or hope that we get a load of stock...... which doesn't look likely anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

There is such low stock I can't guarantee you anything. Folks who put a deposit down get the first look in I'm afraid, which is kinda fair to be honest. If you did want one you would need to put a deposit on one or hope that we get a load of stock...... which doesn't look likely anytime soon.

I went through the process and placed an order online. Does this count?

• Advertisement

I went through the process and placed an order online. Does this count?

Hey there,

You would be next inline once we don't have any deposits that were paid for by cash. When you place an order online you aren't charged until the item goes to the postal bay so those folk who have paid cash upfront are first inline and then folk such as yourself.

Hmnn at the moment we have the HD4870 and the HD4890 in stock but the prices aren't great for you lot I think, €164.99 and €184.99. I'll keep looking and see if I can find them cheaper.

Thats the problem, You can get a 4870 as cheap as 118 online. And a 4890 for 150ish.

But i am sure people wouldn't mind paying a little more maybe 5% to be able to walk in and get it the same day. I know i would pay 5% for that.

Blazher wrote: »
    Thats the problem, You can get a 4870 as cheap as 118 online. And a 4890 for 150ish.

But i am sure people wouldn't mind paying a little more maybe 5% to be able to walk in and get it the same day. I know i would pay 5% for that.

I agree that they are alot more expensive compared to online but it's not like we have our prices intentionally high, they are in fact at staff prices as we make little money on CPU/GPU. They are high as a result of our buy price.

When those units above go we will hopefully have some cheaper models available.

Liam,

I know from speaking to you, That peats is not what it was a few year ago.

You are doing what you can.

Lets hope you can do more.

Cheers

PS:: Don't forget the next 58xx is mine :D

5970 just landed on komplett. and its sold out already :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

They say they have on left at €713 which is truly abysmal considering they are only €575 in peats, a bricks and mortar store

Who have 0 stock, and god know's when they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Effluo wrote: »
    They say they have on left at €713 which is truly abysmal considering they are only €575 in peats, a bricks and mortar store

You weren't expecting a good price on that card from Komplett were you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I was just making the point, not supposing anything.

How about you go suppose some €1,000 i5 builds for someone who wants to browse online using internet explorer and the occasional word doc. Maybe you could stick a 5850 in there too in fear anything else might be outdated:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Effluo wrote: »
    I was just making the point, not supposing anything.

How about you go suppose some €1,000 i5 builds for someone who wants to browse online using internet explorer and the occasional word doc. Maybe you could stick a 5850 in there too in fear anything else might be outdated:rolleyes:
    Damn right you should. That 5850 will last that guy 10 years! :pac:

Advertisement