Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic insulation top-up. Help

Options
  • 18-11-2009 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I'm topping up existing domestic attic insulation by an additional 200mm .

I dont want to use glass fibre insulation and currently considering Termafleece insulation rolls (60% natural wool).

I was wondering if any one has used or heard any reviews of this product before or weather there is a cheaper (natural) product available on the market (other than loose fill beads etc).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

the traditional fibre glass, yellow insulation, is not on the mrket anymore.

the replacement by the company, knauf, is a mineral fibre. Its brown in colour, easy to handle and easy to work with.

it doesnt sag or ''dissapear'' like your old yellow insulation.

270mm is the building regs for regular mineral insulation.

leave down the old stuff and put new over.

best way on a horizontal ceiling is
    100/150 between the joists. and then cross this with 200/150 to cover over the timber joists. this will reduce thermal bridging.

if you need to make a storage/walkway. look at possibly putting 4x2's running opposite and put the insulation in between with chipboard ontop.

mind cables/pipes etc and leave easy acess and mind around lights below - recessed lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 saffron yellow

Irelandhouse,

Many thanks. Thats exactly what I've done though used 200mm of rockwool with 90 degree cross-over between 100mm rolls, 4x2s and chip board on top.

Just finishing the job now and one question.... I have carfully pulled all wiring above the new 200mm insulation. Is there a problem from a safety perspective if I enclose the wiring by laying chip board on top? Ie the wiring is lying in what little space there is between the top of insulation and the chip board? I have screwed chip board down so I can get at wiring easily in the future.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

the traditional fibre glass, yellow insulation, is not on the mrket anymore.

Are you sure? ISOVER MoyPlus is readily available (bright yellow fibre glass) in many builder's providers
    http://www.moyisover.ie/SiteContent/view.do?navId=22
    the replacement by the company, knauf, is a mineral fibre.
    Knauff's range of DIY insulating rolls (Space blanket, Space roll, Space loft roll) are all glass mineral wool (ie fibre glass). They're treated to make them less itchy which may explain the colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ferret

Hi

I have a slightly different situation and may post a new thread yet.

Anyway I laid 100mm rockwool between the joist of my attic on top of the original blown insulation, before laying a chipboard floor for storage. THe storage is full of junk as in most houses. It is not a complete floor as it is a Dormer roof space above the bedrooms.

I am considering in upping the insulation and was wondering if I can lay a second layer of flooring with an integrated insulation layer on top. This would be easier than removing the accumulated junk from the attic and lifting the flooring to put cellulose insulation between. The non floored area can be improved with additional rockwool.

Can anyone else looked at this solution and what boarding with integrated insulation is available. It would need to support the storage and light use. It is not possible to stand up in this attic.

Advertisement