Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rules you would change if you could...

• 18-11-2009 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭

i'm sure this has been done before, but i'm bored in work, and thought this might bring up some interesting points of view...

personally, i'll go for the obvious one, the offside rule. the interfering with play lark still comes across as pretty pointless when it comes down to it. if you're too lazy/stupid/smartarse-is to get onside you deserve to be penalised. i'm all for leeway, but people get ridiculous.

any others?

or have there been rule changes, like the offside rule, which have p*ssed you off?

video refs?

anyway, discuss...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd make a rule that professional players can get done for foul throws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Red card automatically for simulation. Pisses me off no end. Can't ever watch a Chelsea match without 5 or 6 minutes of the game consumed by Drogba's "injuries".

Video technology. We need it. Too many teams have been awarded unfair penalties and we need it. Human error is the difference between a team getting relegated and a team staying up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Xavi6 wrote: »
    +1

Here in youth level I got done countless times for foul throws, but all the big players get away with it. Everyone in fact, I'd say the majority of throw ins in a match are fouls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I like the new offside rules personally. I know they've taken some time to deal work in, but I think they are working well.

I would like to see the instant introduction of goal line technology. If the ball goes out of play, the ref should get a buzzer in his ear. Simple, effective, no time issues.

I want to see the introduction of post-match video analysis of dives, resulting in 5 game bans should the dive be definate. No marginal decisions, no mistakes, but in cases of clear outright diving, a 5 card ban, irrespective of the effect it had on the game.

I want to see the introduction of 2 additional referees, opposite each linesman. They would serve as additional eyes, and hopefully would as refs should, only gives fouls when they actually see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Being forced off the pitch because you were seen for two seconds by a physio is ridiculous. Especially when the player misses a set-piece that came about as part of the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Play goes on regardless of someone being injured similar to the way rugby is. Physios come on and treat the player on the pitch while play goes on around them. I realise this is drastic and not the best solution but it's a thousand times better than cnuts rolling around on the ground when there is clearly nothing wrong with them, breaking up the flow of the game. That carry on really sickens my poo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I'd like to bring in a rule that substitutions can't be made in injury time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

smashing call actually.

f*cking hate seeing so many of them.

when did this stop becoming a rule?

i'll blame Sky. don't know why, bit it's the easiest thing to do. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

One rule I like in Gah that could come over to soccer is a free kick where the ball lands for late challenges. If the ball continues on into the box, the free kick will be on the edge of the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Draupnir wrote: »
    I'd like to bring in a rule that substitutions can't be made in injury time.

what about injuries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

If you mouth to the Ref once a free, twice a yellow card three times sent off. Its the second worse thing in the sport after the blind eye given to diving.

Its making the game into a cheaters paradise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

event wrote: »
    what about injuries?

They'd be allowed for injuries, genuine injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Asking the ref to book another player or even doing that stupid yellow card gesture with your hands should get you a yellow card yourself - if that's not already the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

That_Guy wrote: »
    Red card automatically for simulation. Pisses me off no end. Can't ever watch a Chelsea match without 5 or 6 minutes of the game consumed by Drogba's "injuries".

Video technology. We need it. Too many teams have been awarded unfair penalties and we need it. Human error is the difference between a team getting relegated and a team staying up.

And how can you tell if it is genuine of simulation? This surely will lead to players getting punished for simulation when they were genuinely hurt. It doesn't take a crunching tackle for you to get hurt in football. I think play should go on while they are being treated. Then they won't be so quick to stay down conveniently as the other team counter attack.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This joke of a rule that you can obstruct a player when the ball is rolling over your end line. The defending player imo is fouling the player as he makes no attempt to play the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

yeah but then ya give rise to another form of cheating. Players mysteriously carrying injuries near the final whistle. Just to waste time and bring on a substitute.

I'd like to see a ref watch the game in the stand and be hooked up to 2 referees on the field. He will analyse all the key decisions like penalties and diving outside and inside the box.

Players will be yellow carded for diving outside the box or simulation (hate that word) and red carded for diving inside the box.

However bare in mind rules of the game need to be universal. And the above ive mentioned will be hard to enforce in lower leagues and other countries where there is not as many cameras in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

This joke of a rule that you can obstruct a player when the ball is rolling over your end line. The defending player imo is fouling the player as he makes no attempt to play the ball.

+1 sometimes that crap goes on for 10 feet before the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd like to see the away goal rule done away with.

I'd also like to stop see the phsyical aspect of the game being pushed out. When I played football, if you were running parallel with an opponent, you could use your shoulder to nudge him, and it wasnt a foul.

Its horrid seeing shoulder to shoulder challenges, players diving, and free kicks giving against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

No, there the defender has possession of the ball, even though he doesn't touch it. Do you expect the defender to just step aside?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

No, there the defender has possession of the ball, even though he doesn't touch it. Do you expect the defender to just step aside?

No. I expect him to play the ball. If a midfielder does it in the middle of the park, is it a free? Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

No indirect free kicks inside the penalty box.
    All such freekicks to be direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Ball advanced 10 yards in respect of free kicks for dissent
    (20 yards if dissent from Man U players/manager:p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

No. I expect him to play the ball. If a midfielder does it in the middle of the park, is it a free? Yes.

No it's not. When in possession of the ball you can shield the ball with your body right?

They key is 'in possession of the ball' here. What you're referring to is people simply obstructing others while maybe 'closer to the ball' but not actually in possession. There hardly ever seems to be a problem with the distinction here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

oldyouth wrote: »
    Ball advanced 10 yards in respect of free kicks for dissent
    (20 yards if dissent from Man U players/manager:p)
    i'd change that - ball can be moved anywhere within a 10yard radius. Much better for the attacking team, much more of a deterrent for the defending side (would only do so in instances of deliberately holding up the free and encroaching on the free before it is taken). I don't think it should be done for dissent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

sure how do you determine if its a genuine injury or not, players would just fake it

eh, its not a rule you can obstruct a player if its rolling out AFAIK. Its the refs interpretation of it, they all let it go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

As others have mentioned yellow card for arguring with the ref.

Also, less protection for keepers. At the moment if you even attempt to jump with a keeper, 90% of the time it'll result in a free out even though the attacker has done nothing wrong. You should be able to challenge the keeper when he's going for a high ball.

event wrote: »
    sure how do you determine if its a genuine injury or not, players would just fake it

eh, its not a rule you can obstruct a player if its rolling out AFAIK. Its the refs interpretation of it, they all let it go
    Tbh it is not the biggest rule that needs changing! Just something small that annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

matrim wrote: »
    As others have mentioned yellow card for arguring with the ref.

Also, less protection for keepers. At the moment if you even attempt to jump with a keeper, 90% of the time it'll result in a free out even though the attacker has done nothing wrong. You should be able to challenge the keeper when he's going for a high ball.

Wihtout sidetracking the thread, as a goalkeeper I have to say this attitude of keepers being overprotected annoys the fck out of me, typical Andy Gray nonsense.

When we are jumping for the ball because our hands are above our head we are hugely vulnerable to opposition players shoulders, hands and elbows.
    The slightest bit of contact will take you out of the trajectory of your jump, anything more than a slight contact can literally twist your body into an arc and you fall on your back, neck or forehead. This is why its discouraged by being a declared a foul.

Test it out with a safety mat. Jump like a centre forward with your arms at their natural level, get someone to push you in the stomach with moderate force - you will land on your feet.
    Then jump like a keeper, arms outstretched above your head and get someone to push you in the stomach with moderate force at the max height of your jump. You will land on a random part of your body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Foul throws, for definite.

Make offside simple again, none of this interfering with play bollox, every player is on the pitch to interfere with play, it's their job!

If that can't be done, then extend the 18 yard line to the sidelines, and if you are in an offside position beyond there, then you are offside, no question, leave the "interfering" stuff to outside there, between halfway and the 18 yard line.

Leave the sub keeper outside the regulation subs.

Introduce a ten minute sin bin for 2 "technical" yellow cards (backchat etc), this means two things.

a. player is immediately punished
    b. no more ridiculous sendings off.

Immediate sanction for asking for a player to be booked.

Retrospective bannings for diving, there is already retrospective banning for serious foul play.

Remove the "the ref has already dealt with it" guff.

I like that idea of two more linesmen, and also "umpires" like in the UEFA Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

keano_afc wrote: »
    One rule I like in Gah that could come over to soccer is a free kick where the ball lands for late challenges. If the ball continues on into the box, the free kick will be on the edge of the area.
    :confused:
    a free kick on the edge of the area is worse for the attacking team than a free kick 5-10 yards away from edge of area

Some form of the Old school proper offside law!!
    Des wrote: »

Make offside simple again, none of this interfering with play bollox, every player is on the pitch to interfere with play, it's their job!

Frankly In the words of Mr Shankly
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the retrospective stuff annoys the bejaysus out of me, for the reason that if 'it's been dealt with or seen', then there's 'nothing' we can do.

utter boll*x and complete laziness, laced with a good dose of cop-out, of the highest order.

keepers need to indeed stop being protected as if they're precious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Wihtout sidetracking the thread, as a goalkeeper I have to say this attitude of keepers being overprotected annoys the fck out of me, typical Andy Gray nonsense.

When we are jumping for the ball because our hands are above our head we are hugely vulnerable to opposition players shoulders, hands and elbows.
    The slightest bit of contact will take you out of the trajectory of your jump, anything more than a slight contact can literally twist your body into an arc and you fall on your back, neck or forehead. This is why its discouraged by being a declared a foul.

Test it out with a safety mat. Jump like a centre forward with your arms at their natural level, get someone to push you in the stomach with moderate force - you will land on your feet.
    Then jump like a keeper, arms outstretched above your head and get someone to push you in the stomach with moderate force at the max height of your jump. You will land on a random part of your body.

At the moment if a keeper hits a player on a high ball even if the keeper is the one at fault he gets the free in probably 95% of cases. There are plenty of examples of keepers jumping into players who are already in the air and because they miss the ball the keeper gets the free, even though the other player was there first. There are also examples of keepers hitting their own defenders and getting frees. These are the kind of things that need to be stamped out.
    If you jump with the keeper it shouldn't be a free. If you jump with the keeper and push him it should be a free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

1. I would like to see referees being allowed to award an indirect freekick for accidental handballs inside the box. I always feel these rulings are harsh when given as a defender often doesn't mean to do it. Also the ball is often not in a dangerous position when it happens so to get pretty much a guaranteed goal straight from this is harsh sometimes I feel. Plus there dosn't seem to be a set rule on this, sometimes they are given and sometimes they are not (Assou-Ekotto against Liverpool). These variable decisions cost points and I feel this rule would eliminate the harsh penalty against defenders, while still rewarding the attacking side who have been impeded.

2. Why not introduce the 'time-off rule' like in rugby? Any time a sub is made, a player goes down etc..., the referee simply calls time off and the clock stops. This would eliminate controversy like in the United City game about whether the game should have been over or not. Time-off and then once the 90 minute mark is reached, the players play untill the next whistle (whether that be a foul, an offside, or the ball going out of play) and then the game is over. This would also eliminate the effectiveness of Drogba's antics, as as soon as he hits the floor, the ref can call time-off and the oposition players know they are not being done over.

3. Goal-line technology. It's a must at this stage.

4. At the referee's discretion, he can award a freekick immediately to the opposition for players 'taking the ball into the corner'. They did away with the passback and I feel this is another timewasting method that should be eliminated.

Would anyone like to see any of these rules put in place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

No bookings for celebrating - so what if a player runs to a crowd or decides to take off his shirt to display a message. Stop nannying the game.

A video referal system at the top levels - If you are wrong you lose your referal, if right - you keep it and can challenge again. Captain gets one per game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Des wrote: »
    Leave the sub keeper outside the regulation subs.

No way. Nothing better than seeing a team lose their keeper with all the subs used and watching as the remaining ten lads run as far as they away from the gloves.

There'd be no more Phil Jagielka heroics, John O'Shea clean sheets or Niall Quinn penalty saves.

If anything there should be no sub keepers whatsoever :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I'd like to see some changes that would involve player responsibility and hopefully improving the integrity of the game, to make it more self-regulated like golf. Probably impossible....but maybe something like you can only get booked for diving if you claim for a free or a foul. If you just get up again the referee assumes you weren't looking for it and can make his own mind up as to whether it was a foul or not. Or if the ref blows for a free but the player awarded the free says it wasn't (like Robbie Fowler v Seaman) the ref can change his mind.

I'd be against changes involving more refs and video technology, purely from the point of view that it seperates the game from that played by amateurs. Ever try to play a game of american football with your friends - it's totally different to the NFL game. Human error is part of it, sometimes it goes against you, sometimes with you. It's only sport, take it if it goes against you.

Any rules to bring the sport back into it would be great. At the moment winning is so important that cheating is endemic - e.g. when I was playing, every time the ball went over the top, as defenders we claimed for off-side, regardless of whether we had any idea if it was or not. We also claimed for every corner, throw-in etc. as did the other team. Basically constantly cheating doing anything possible to gain an advantage. And there were fights every week. What's all that about?

Bring the sport back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

No way. Nothing better than seeing a team lose their keeper with all the subs used and watching as the remaining ten lads run as far as they away from the gloves.

There'd be no more Phil Jagielka heroics, John O'Shea clean sheets or Niall Quinn penalty saves.

If anything there should be no sub keepers whatsoever :pac:

When/how did that happen?! :eek:

Morzadec wrote: »
    When/how did that happen?! :eek:
    From Wiki
    His most notable game for City was 20 April 1991 when he scored early on and saved a Dean Saunders penalty as City beat Derby County 2-1, relegating Derby in the process. City goalkeeper Tony Coton had been sent off before half time for fouling Saunders to concede the penalty. At this time teams rarely, if ever, named goalkeepers as substitutes, so Quinn replaced Coton in goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

relegating Derby in the process

And as a forest fan you loved posting that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Allow cards (yellow or red) to be appealed in genuine circumstances (Fletcher in CL semi final). Punish false claims by doubling the ban.

Simple changes to offside laws
    Player has to be offside when he gets the ball as well as when played, no defence has gotten back so why stop it?
    Actually give the benefit of doubt to the forward

Start penalising holding in the area

Remove time keeping from ref

Allow the captain to question the ref, book other players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

1. I would like to see referees being allowed to award an indirect freekick for accidental handballs inside the box. I always feel these rulings are harsh when given as a defender often doesn't mean to do it. Also the ball is often not in a dangerous position when it happens so to get pretty much a guaranteed goal straight from this is harsh sometimes I feel. Plus there dosn't seem to be a set rule on this, sometimes they are given and sometimes they are not (Assou-Ekotto against Liverpool). These variable decisions cost points and I feel this rule would eliminate the harsh penalty against defenders, while still rewarding the attacking side who have been impeded.

2. Why not introduce the 'time-off rule' like in rugby? Any time a sub is made, a player goes down etc..., the referee simply calls time off and the clock stops. This would eliminate controversy like in the United City game about whether the game should have been over or not. Time-off and then once the 90 minute mark is reached, the players play untill the next whistle (whether that be a foul, an offside, or the ball going out of play) and then the game is over. This would also eliminate the effectiveness of Drogba's antics, as as soon as he hits the floor, the ref can call time-off and the oposition players know they are not being done over.

3. Goal-line technology. It's a must at this stage.
    I agree with all them.

I'd also like to see sin bins for yellow cards.

And if a player kicks the ball out because one of the opposition is injured, book him. Too many teams pretend they have an injury to slow down play. If someone is injured, the ref can stop play, no need to kick the ball out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Allow referees to carry AK 47s. Any player who cheats in anyway will be shot dead on the spot. That'll teach them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I thought it was at the refs discretion to award indirect frees inside the box already. I remember this happened years ago (aka: when I was playing) quite frequently. And while that was back in Germany I think the rules are pretty much aligned everywhere in the UEFA/FIFA zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Fewer subs, smaller bench.

Massive advantage for richer teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

gosplan wrote: »
    Fewer subs, smaller bench.

Massive advantage for richer teams.

Surely with IKEA and the likes benches aren't that expensive these days?

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

i disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Actual respect for the referee like in rugby. Only the captain of the team is allowed to speak to the referee and in a respectful manner. Automatic 5 game ban for ANY player (England players included) who breaks the rules. Same rule to apply to the manager if he approachs the referee after the final whistle or at half time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement