Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convert DVD to an AVI file

• 18-11-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

First up, not looking to do anything illegal here.
    I have a large collection of DVD's (mostly kids movies) and the kids are destroying them. Before they all get scratched I'd like to convert them into avi files so I can play them on my TV using a PC to TV link.

Can anyone recommend a software program that will do that for me. Looking for something not too pricey that wont take more than the actual movie running time to convert.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

smart ripper , to rip the vob to a single file on your system and simple divx to covert to avi . both free .

use these most of the time , very easy use and nothing tricky.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/smartripper.cfm

http://simpledivx.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I tried smart ripper but it took 5 hours and then only produced 3 tiny vob files. Not sure what I did wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Strange it took so long , what spec system are you running.

also attached a doc on how to setup smart ripper to speed up and create one single vob file for a dvd

Thanks for the help. I am on VISTA but the memory is very low. May try it on my work machine.
    I have your instructions and will try again over the weekend.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

DVD to AVI/DivX/XviD software directory.

Have a look here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/dvd-to-avi-divx-xvid

• Advertisement

Just because something is 'Free', doesn't mean it isn't on a par, or even better, than pay-for-software. Don't dismiss the free software..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Actually, this is in the FAQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Before they all get scratched I'd like to convert them into avi files so I can play them on my TV using a PC to TV link.
    Part 6 of the Computer/Tech FAQ mentions DVDShrink. That app hasn't been updated for a while so I use DVDFab (free version) instead for ripping onto the HDD.

Once ive got the DVD onto my HDD, I use Handbrake to convert to a MKV with x264 video, and AC3 audio (same as on the DVD). The single-pass CRF at about 60-61% works great, and even though x264 takes longer, its still quick because its only a single-pass encode (with Xvid, you pretty much need a 2-pass encode if you want to get good results).

With x264 you have a choice of settings depending on how much compression you want (and how long the encode takes). But even the lowest setting (basline) looks a lot better than Xvid size-for-size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Don't forget if you're doing this on a Windows machine you will need something like AnyDVD as well as your ripper of choice. I use Handbrake - nice and simple and never fails me.

• Advertisement

Thanks All.
    1. Am using Smart Ripper to get the DVD onto my PC (takes about 20 mins).
    2. I then use Auto GK to convert it to an AVI - takes 2 - 3 hours.
    Works fine. Just wondering if I can speed up the second part. Could it be down to memory on my machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Just wondering if I can speed up the second part. Could it be down to memory on my machine?

What's your CPU?

T2080 1.73 ghz.
    It as ACER 5570Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Khannie wrote: »

Heard this is good. Also i have used eRightSoft Super for this task loads of times and its great.

Good grief, Super, totally forgot about that, I always thought the ultra minimal look of the website came across as a bit dodgy, which is why I avoided it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Joeface wrote: »
    smart ripper , to rip the vob to a single file on your system and simple divx to covert to avi . both free .

use these most of the time , very easy use and nothing tricky.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/smartripper.cfm

http://simpledivx.org/
    From above link....:mad: This software is no longer available, this page is stored for archival puposes only.

On 1st of January, 2006, a new copyright legislation came into force in Finland that made it illegal to distribute tools that allow circumvention of technical copy protections. The legislation was approved by Finnish parliament and was based on European Union Copyright Directive, a law that each EU member state has to implement to their national legislations.

As AfterDawn Ltd is a company located in Finland, we have to obey the new copyright legislation and therefor, the software you were searching for, is no longer available. For more details on options we tried to find, how the law changed our site and more, please read this article.

Advertisement