Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Leaving Cert

Options
  • 18-11-2009 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I am in first year undergrad in UCD but I want to switch course to physiotheraphy....but I don't have enough points (525) for it...( I got 505).

I did seven subjects in the leavin and the best six are Chem,Physic,Bio,maths,applied maths and geography...
    English doesn't counted cos it's ordinary level..

If I repeat the leaving cert, would I have to do English again? Also, Geography has a project write up to do but how can I do this?

Thanks,
    Steven

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

bloodmager wrote: »
    If I repeat the leaving cert, would I have to do English again?

You would only have to do english again for matriculation purposes if you were applying for medicine.

Find out if you need a foreign language for any new courses you are applying for

I don't know about Geography project. If you are applying for trinity college dublin you could have a shot at the geology exam in the trinity matriculation exam usually held in april

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Medstudent

No you won't have to do the english again. The geography project depends on where you repeat, sometimes the teachers dont mind if you use the one you did before but it might be better to do the on they're doing that year cause you'll be more likely to do much better!! definitely repeat though. . . if you get your points it'll be the best thing ever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Could you continute the year as it is and apply to transfer to first year physio next year instead of repeating? Might be a bit less hassle for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bloodmager

Could you continute the year as it is and apply to transfer to first year physio next year instead of repeating? Might be a bit less hassle for you.

I am not allowed to transfer because I don't have enough points for physio. I only got 505 in 2009 leavin exam but requires 525 this year.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I am not allowed to transfer because I don't have enough points for physio. I only got 505 in 2009 leavin exam but requires 525 this year.:(

Are you sure that points requirements still apply when you've completed a year though? In some places they don't, but end of year exam grades do.

• Advertisement

Are you sure that points requirements still apply when you've completed a year though? In some places they don't, but end of year exam grades do.

I have sent an e-mail asking about this case. I got a reply and they told me that I couldn't combine a year degree with the leaving cert. I meet the matriculation regulation but not the entry point requirement......that's the sad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

You'd almost scrape RCSI with that, no?

If you ARE repeating, I'd advise you to try get an A1 in Higher Level maths, if possible, and you'll get an extra 40 points in UL.
    (An A1 in maths there counts as 140 points, it's class.)

bythewoods wrote: »
    You'd almost scrape RCSI with that, no?

If you ARE repeating, I'd advise you to try get an A1 in Higher Level maths, if possible, and you'll get an extra 40 points in UL.
    (An A1 in maths there counts as 140 points, it's class.)

Yes I just nearly touch the point requirement in RSCI, but I just want to be safe here, since college pick students who get higher point... I have never thought of UL because it needs even higher point then any other college! I thought I can get an A2 in maths for my leavin but I got B1...I don't know if I can get A1 in it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

If you really really want it and time isn't an issue, ie. parents retiring, you should look into Carlow IT. I know they do a two year level 7 course there specifically tailored towards therapys. When you complete it, with honours, you can then transfer to Scotland to do physiotherapy or occupational therapy. I know 3 people who have gone into physiotherapy this way. One of them got 430 in the leaving and knew that the points in limerick and dublin wete totally unattainable for him so he went to Carlow and now he works in Limerick as a physio! There's a backdoor for everything! If you repeat your leaving you should keep it in mind as a safety net on your CAO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Yes I just nearly touch the point requirement in RSCI, but I just want to be safe here, since college pick students who get higher point... I have never thought of UL because it needs even higher point then any other college! I thought I can get an A2 in maths for my leavin but I got B1...I don't know if I can get A1 in it :D

You get 35 extra for A2, 30 for B1 etc!

• Advertisement
Advertisement