Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where To Get ISO400 HP5 Film in Dublin

• 18-11-2009 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anywhere I could get ISO HP5 black and white film in Dublin. Preferably on the north side of Dublin, but any information on where it is available would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

gunns usually have it - give them a ring on 478 1226

• Registered Users Posts: 1 art-tour

as above. definitely gunns. this is the best shop in dublin if we are talking about film photography :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

Hall's on Talbot street might have it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Pretty sure Boots stock HP5, at least in 35mm, as do some of the fujifilm shops - it's probably the most widely available B&W film. Gunn's will be much cheaper though, I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Thanks for the speedy responses people, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Pretty sure Boots stock HP5, at least in 35mm, as do some of the fujifilm shops - it's probably the most widely available B&W film. Gunn's will be much cheaper though, I reckon.

Ive been in a few boots shops recently and they dont have that in stock.

I got some in Gunns a few weeks ago and Im prob getting more there tomorrow, its a really good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I've seen HP5 in Boots, but I work in a fujifilm lab and the only one we stock is Neopan 400. Give Gunne's the business tbh. I'm dropping in 6 rolls of 120 to them tomorrow :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never been happy with the neopan 400 i've had processed in gunns - they use a developer (rodinal, i think) which doesn't suit neopan, it comes out too contrasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

i've never been happy with the neopan 400 i've had processed in gunns - they use a developer (rodinal, i think) which doesn't suit neopan, it comes out too contrasty.

I'm guessing you could probably ask them to use something specific, it'd probably cost more though. But really you know what the solution to this is. Anyone committed to shooting B&W should do their own development. Choosing the appropriate developer and development method has about as much of an impact on the final image as the film and the shooting conditions. You ideally need to have the entire process firmly under your own control, or at least have a handle on exactly what your lab is doing so you know how it'll effect the negative.

And besides, doing film-only development is fun and easy :D

DaireQuinlain, I'm going to highjack this thread slightly. I saw your post here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/diy_color/discuss/72157622069025648/ completely by chance. I bought the Fuji Hunt kit this afternoon and I'm baffled as to how best to split up the chemicals to use in my hand tanks. Any advice?

• Advertisement

DaireQuinlain, I'm going to highjack this thread slightly. I saw your post here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/diy_color/discuss/72157622069025648/ completely by chance. I bought the Fuji Hunt kit this afternoon and I'm baffled as to how best to split up the chemicals to use in my hand tanks. Any advice?

ahHa, obviously you didn't google for my name quite enough, I think I describe it at length somewhere.

Basically I make up 500ml at a time. So I just divide the quantities needed by 10. Its at this point that I'd suggest you get into some pharmacy and get a 'dosage syringe' or 'measuring syringe' which allow you to measure very small amounts of liquids with reasonable accuracy. You'll need this because one of the dev components needs 4ml IIRC to be added, another needs 9ml or something to make up to 500ml of developer solution.

I make up that 500ml of developer and use it , then stick it into 500ml mineral water bottles. Best thing short of glass to put it into apparently, PET is well nigh indestructible. Similarly with the bleach, fix, and stabiliser. So at the end of a dev session I have 4 bottles of variously hued (and carefully annotated) chemicals. I use them for maybe 3 or 4 films over the course of as many weeks then toss them. To re-use I just stick them into a water bath at about 60c until the developer at least gets to the right temperature and use away.

Doing it this way you get 10x500ml batches out of the fuji hunt chemicals, which does me a year or so by the last count.

One more thing though, I have that tetenal stuff (I forget what its called, protectant ?) that you spray into half full chemical bottles to displace the air. I always use that on any chemicals I use then close, and I've never had a problem with expired chems. Apparently its just a mix of butane and propane though, so you could probably just get some in a hardware store and stick some appropriate nozzle on it. Just don't smoke whilst using it :eek:

Cheers Daire, great advice. When i saw it made a 5L batch I was wondering if I should just divide up the chems, but I wasn't sure how low I was safe to go. Looking forward to trying this out :D

Cheers Daire, great advice. When i saw it made a 5L batch I was wondering if I should just divide up the chems, but I wasn't sure how low I was safe to go. Looking forward to trying this out :D

Just as a brief note of clarification, I don't make up all 10 batches in one go, I make one 500ml lot as I need it, leaving all the rest of the chemicals in their respective bottles. I've heard of people making up everything in one go and then decanting into seperate 500ml batches but I figure the constituent chemicals are probably best left in isolation until its time to actually use them.

Yeah, I assumed that. According to the leaflet that came with the chems they'll only last 4-8 weeks (depending on the chemical) once mixed.

Advertisement