Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor mobile internet on HTC Hero or any other mobile/PDA

• 18-11-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

For those of you on Meteor, is the 3g network any good? How is coverage in the greater Dublin area (city centre, southside - Dublin 2,4,6,8 and northside Dublin 15 and Dublin 7 mainly)?

I like the look of the HTC Hero but it means switching network provider... don't want to do it if the meteor network is crap.

Any honest opinions appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Also interested in this... Dublin 16 in particular. o2 had to cancel my contract as I cant even make calls at home, let alone get 3G. Judging by people in the house on other networks, meteor is the only network with enough signal to make a call... Just glad this happened when meteor actually have a decent handset that may stand up somewhat to the 3GS. (which is what Im currently using)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Am using hero in co. Dublin, d15, d13 and limerick city + county. Find them excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Am using hero in co. Dublin, d15, d13 and limerick city + county. Find them excellent.

I've found the HSDPA very good any time I've used it. But EDGE is more than adequate speed for browsing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

Great stuff lads. Reckon I'll pick one up tomorrow so!

I read on many sites about the problem of the HTC default SMS app not going to sleep after texting, and this eats up battery life. Have either of you found this? Did you install HandCent to get around it? Or have you been lucky enough to not have the problem on the handset?? Not that this will stop me from buying it, once I know there is a workaround.

Here's one description of the problem...
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/29/workaround-for-htc-hero-battery-life-issues-discovered/

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Bluefoam wrote: »

I use my Hero in Castleknock and Sandyford, both areas provide excellent high speed coverage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Collumbo wrote: »
    Great stuff lads. Reckon I'll pick one up tomorrow so!

I read on many sites about the problem of the HTC default SMS app not going to sleep after texting, and this eats up battery life. Have either of you found this? Did you install HandCent to get around it? Or have you been lucky enough to not have the problem on the handset?? Not that this will stop me from buying it, once I know there is a workaround.

Here's one description of the problem...
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/29/workaround-for-htc-hero-battery-life-issues-discovered/

Old firmware, the phones from Meteor are not suffering this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

T-Square wrote: »
    Old firmware, the phones from Meteor are not suffering this problem.

excellent - thanks for that info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Superp handset (not using it too long yet but I really like it!!).
    I find coverage to be great too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

living in the backarse of nowhere in Longford, web browsing via EDGE, works great. Greatly optimized. Never have a problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement