Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

License application

Options
  • 18-11-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

• Just a quick one,or a few
    • License extended to end Feb 2010,do i apply now?
    • Also have an air rifle license,but gun gave me jip a couple of times,so got a replacement.Local garda only amended old license in order for me to collect new gun.Does this go under the "like for like" section on the new application?
    • does application have to be done with garda,or just do it myself and send it in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

License extended to end Feb 2010,do i apply now?

You can apply from 1st December for this one.

Also have an air rifle license,but gun gave me jip a couple of times,so got a replacement.Local garda only amended old license in order for me to collect new gun.Does this go under the "like for like" section on the new application?

All applications are being treated as new applications - so the air rifle will be going in as this.

does application have to be done with garda,or just do it myself and send it in?

It can be done by yourself - but if you have any questions - I'm sure someone here in the know would be able to help - that or a chat with your FO might help.

Hope this helps - best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

I understand that they are "applications" and not "renewals",but they are applications for existing firearms. I have a shotgun and an air rifle. The shotgun should be no prob as ive had it licensed "in the previous 3 years", But my grey area is that ,technically,the air rifle is unlicensed,but do i apply as "a new" application or "substitution of firearm".Which brings me to my next point,Do you only need character referees when making a new application?

technically,the air rifle is unlicensed,but do i apply as "a new" application or "substitution of firearm".Which brings me to my next point,Do you only need character referees when making a new application?

Ok first part

"Local garda only amended old license in order for me to collect new gun"

This amendment is in essence the licence for your air rifle - therefore you will be applying for a new licence for that. Open to correction here tho. Anyone????

Part 2.

Section 2.3 of the form - Character Referees (c) To be completed in all cases other than 'substitution' of firearm.

so yes - referees are needed.

LB6 wrote: »
    Ok first part

This amendment is in essence the licence for your air rifle - therefore you will be applying for a new licence for that. Open to correction here tho. Anyone????

Part 2.

Section 2.3 of the form - Character Referees (c) To be completed in all cases other than 'substitution' of firearm.

So,let me get this! If you have a gun and are "substituting" it,you dont need a referee.yet,if you have a gun and are"renewing"it,you do?

So,let me get this! If you have a gun and are "substituting" it,you dont need a referee.yet,if you have a gun and are"renewing"it,you do?

OK

Tis like this - Renewing is not the word being used - every application whether you have held firearms before or not - is a NEW application - so yes the referees are needed, so this is what you will be using as you currently are in posession of an amended old version licence for the air rifle.

Once you have that licence (the new variety) and if you want to change one piece for another at a later date, then you need to go through the form again and only fill in the spots for substituting one for the other - in that case - you don't need to fill in the referees.

or is all that as clear as dirty water?????? :D

• Advertisement

OK

Tis like this - Renewing is not the word being used - every application whether you have held firearms before or not - is a NEW application - so yes the referees are needed, so this is what you will be using as you currently are in posession of an amended old version licence for the air rifle.

Once you have that licence (the new variety) and if you want to change one piece for another at a later date, then you need to go through the form again and only fill in the spots for substituting one for the other - in that case - you don't need to fill in the referees.

or is all that as clear as dirty water?????? :D
    Thats all fine and dandy.Got 2 firearm ext certs,one which should be straight forward,but the one for air rifle has old guns serial no. on it. i.e. ive substituted it already but its not on record seemingly.I know "renewal" is not the word being used,but lets be honest,thats all it is.Was nothing stopping gardai from revoking licenses before.So, am i not substituting ?

P.S. Section 3.1 Record details of your existing firearm if you are merely renewing the certificate for it!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

every application whether you have held firearms before or not - is a NEW application

This has been stated all over the place - is it legally the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

civdef wrote: »
    This has been stated all over the place - is it legally the case?

It was always the case. It was always an 'application' for a renewal on the 'prescribed form' which obviously isn't limited.

Thats all fine and dandy.Got 2 firearm ext certs,one which should be straight forward,but the one for air rifle has old guns serial no. on it. i.e. ive substituted it already but its not on record seemingly.I know "renewal" is not the word being used,but lets be honest,thats all it is.Was nothing stopping gardai from revoking licenses before.So, am i not substituting ?

Ah sheesh - ok and therein lies a problem
    When you had your substitution done on the old system - they "should" have put the new rifle number on the licence. Your best bet now is to go back to the station and show them that it's missing and ask them to rectify it both on the paper and on record.

Then, once that's done - you are now clear to go ahead and get your NEW licence, as you will have to attach a copy of the old substituted licence with the application.

There is nothing stopping the Gardaí removing anyone's firearm at any time. This is a completely new system and we are all being treated the same. They are getting the complete details of everyone who applies for a licence as compared to going to the desk in old times with ur passport and a couple of words here and there on a page. (In a hushed voice- yes we're subbing), but this is a completely new system for the Gardaí. They are getting the complete details of everyone who applies for a licence, including mug shots! SMILE

Don't delay in getting the old sub licence sorted. Good luck with ur FO

• Advertisement

Ok,let me see if i can make this plainer.When i got the replacement rifle,the guard did put it on the rifle licence.Basically,he crossed out the old serial no.,wrote in the new one,signed and stamped it.This was last may.I was able to pick up new gun.So,you see,it is on paper,but doesnt seem to be on record.I have the old licence and the paperwork from the dealer.Is the gun licenced or unlicenced,theres the question.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

.........This was last may..........

Did you sign the old PC20 (yellow form) when you got your license changed?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Ok,let me see if i can make this plainer.When i got the replacement rifle,the guard did put it on the rifle licence.Basically,he crossed out the old serial no.,wrote in the new one,signed and stamped it.This was last may.I was able to pick up new gun.So,you see,it is on paper,but doesnt seem to be on record.I have the old licence and the paperwork from the dealer.Is the gun licenced or unlicenced,theres the question.

Ok - that's different to what you said earlier - you have a valid piece of paper dated and stamped with a garda signature with the correct information for the new air rifle on it. Accordingly this rifle is licenced as far as you are concerned.

He shouldn't have done any of this without the substitution form being signed by you.... that part used to go to Phoenix Pk for updating the info.

You apply for the renewal on the FCA1 form but put in an FCA2 form with it to have the number changed to the proper one.

That's all. ;)

Ok first part

Part 2.

Is what i said earlier,and,no,didnt sign any substitution form.Maybe this is why we need the new system eh! So ,with all that said and done,am i applying for a new licence,substitution licence,or what? ha ha ha:confused:

right - It's a NEW one! :D

so whats a substitution then?

rrpc wrote: »
    You apply for the renewal on the FCA1 form but put in an FCA2 form with it to have the number changed to the proper one.

That's all. ;)
    But on the FCA2 form it says apply for substitution on FCA1. What is a substitution?:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Substitution is a changing of one firearm for another firearm of the same caliber, as in "like for like". This can be done on the FCA1. The FCA2 is for amending details of your license (or personal details) that are incorrect or to cancel a license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

But on the FCA2 form it says apply for substitution on FCA1. What is a substitution?:confused:

What you did when the Gardai scribbled out the details of your old firearm and wrote in the details of the new one. You were substituting one firearm for another.

Except it never got onto the pulse system, so you have to do it properly now.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    What you did when the Gardai scribbled out the details of your old firearm and wrote in the details of the new one. You were substituting one firearm for another.

Except it never got onto the pulse system, so you have to do it properly now.
    Ah,so im applying for a substitution, not a NEW one?

Ah,so im applying for a substitution, not a NEW one?
    Did you not substitute some months ago?

You have a licence and you have an extension. The extension refers to a firearm you owned some months back but changed for another identical one. Am I right so far?

The licence has the serial number of the new firearm written in by hand. Am I still correct?

If so, you have to apply for a licence on form FCA1 for the original firearm (the one you no longer have - but is referred to on your extension letter) and at the same time submit form FCA2 with the details of the different serial number.

There is another possibility which may allow you to use form FCA2 right now to update the information on PULSE to the correct serial number and then later submit FCA1 with the correct details when it's due.

That depends on when the extension for the air rifle runs out, but if you've a few months to go then I'd do that.

But if you go into your Garda Station and tell them about it, they'll help you fill out the right forms.

Can i not do this all on FCA1 at same time? Section 3.1 Firearms details and Section 3.4 Current firearm details(i.e. the firearm being replaced. P.S. live in a small village with 1 garda,if i could get hold of him,i wouldnt be here!ha ha ha

Can i not do this all on FCA1 at same time? Section 3.1 Firearms details and Section 3.4 Current firearm details(i.e. the firearm being replaced. P.S. live in a small village with 1 garda,if i could get hold of him,i wouldnt be here!ha ha ha
    Because that's what the Garda Commissioner said to do in his guidelines. Have a read of them. Ha ha ha.

They're at the top of this forum, in red. :D:D:D

Advertisement