Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheels seized when moving off..?

• 18-11-2009 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Whenever move car off the drive each morning, the wheels seem to be seized...is the only way i can describe it. ie. its not inclined to move and I have to apply a bit of power to get it out of the jam its in. Have limited knowledge of these things but is it something to do with bearings??

This motor is at its end of life - so i'm just trying to get whatever I can out of it before its final decommissioning! Therefore, I want to spend the least amount on it as I probably won't get a return on any major repairs.
    Is this issue going to be a problem? How long before it becomes a problem I can't ignore and how much should it cost to fix? (97 opel astra).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

That sounds like a brake issue. IMO for safety reasons you shouldn’t be driving it until you get it looked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Sounds like the brake pads rusted/frozen onto the discs, which by and large isnt an issue. Just drive it and brake it hard a few times (without danger to others..) to scrub them and test them at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it's a regular occurance, it's more serious than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Reverse a little first.. You might hear them click. then off you go.. Drive on a bit and stomp on the brakes hard a few times. Sounds like they are sticking a little.. Make sure no other car is behind you when you stand on the brakes though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

When releasing the handbrake it's common enough for the rear pads to have slightly bound to the disc, freeing up with a slight thunk when moving first thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Has the car been lying up for a while???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Just the brakes binding, is it a particular wheel or all wheels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

try chocking the wheels tonight and leaving the handbrake off (or if its safe to do so, just park it in gear). No chunk in the morning , then its your handbrake sticking on and not too serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

JHMEG wrote: »
    When releasing the handbrake it's common enough for the rear pads to have slightly bound to the disc, freeing up with a slight thunk when moving first thing.

I'd doubt a 97 Astra has rear discs though, more likely they are drums.

Drums are known for sticking, happened to me with my last car, a Focus with rear drums, after alot of rain and the car parked up for the night the rear wheels would stick the next morning.

Might not be the same issue the OP is having though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I cant understand how anyone could advise to just drive on. I don’t know what the fault is no more than anyone else here simply because nobody has seen the car but fluid on shoes from a leaking wheel cyl can cause this symptom. That, if it is the case, would put the car in a dangerous condition

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I cant understand how anyone could advise to just drive on. I don’t know what the fault is no more than anyone else here simply because nobody has seen the car but fluid on shoes from a leaking wheel cyl can cause this symptom. That, if it is the case, would put the car in a dangerous condition

What he said.

I have a Combo that was doing the same thing. Being an idle bastard I ignored it for a while. When I did pull off the hubs the linings were knackered and that is why they were sticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

It's also possible the lining has come off the brake shoe and is lodging between the drum and the shoe... Either way, you need to get it looked at before you drive the car again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Happens to my 08 car all the time
    Drum back brakes
    wash the car and leave it overnight..= Nrakes stuckk
    Remember the 70's and the 80's
    mostly drum brakes on the back.. it was a regular sight to see someone with a lump hammer freeing up the back brakes after a nights rain/frost ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks for all the info folks.
    corktina wrote: »
    try chocking the wheels tonight and leaving the handbrake off (or if its safe to do so, just park it in gear). No chunk in the morning , then its your handbrake sticking on and not too serious
    Yeah - tried that - and you were right. Didnt happen when just left in gear overnight.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Oil them! :D

disclaimer: don't do this or you and others will die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info folks.

Yeah - tried that - and you were right. Didnt happen when just left in gear overnight.
    Like I said... brakes binding, happens all the time. If I'm parked on a flat surface I just leave it in gear as opposed to putting on the handbrake. Glad you got to the bottom of it.

Advertisement