Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving through floods

• 18-11-2009 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Where I currently live if there is any rain at all part of a shared lane way I use gets flooded out. It going to be a costly enough job to address and realistically will not be done until next year as there is a construction site still there.

What are the dangers with driving through water which is easily up to bottom of the car and beyond on a daily basis. Is it a matter of time below the water plays havoc with the car?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

dp639 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Where I currently live if there is any rain at all part of a shared lane way I use gets flooded out. It going to be a costly enough job to address and realistically will not be done until next year as there is a construction site still there.

What are the dangers with driving through water which is easily up to bottom of the car and beyond on a daily basis. Is it a matter of time below the water plays havoc with the car?

Thanks

Check where the air intake is on your car before even attempting to go through more of a puddle. E.G. The BMW 520d has a very low air intake and it doesn't take a very deep flood to knacker one.

If the intake is higher up on the car then you should make it through. Not sure if repeated fording will cause other issues, maybe rust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Ahh just put your hazard lights on and you'll be grand so.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Ahh just put your hazard lights on and you'll be grand so.

Or you might end up like this, with the accompanying €17,000 bill for a new engine :eek:

swimming5series.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Ouch, but the whole scenario looks all too familiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As has already been said, find out exactly where your engine air intake is located and how high it is off the ground.

Besides that, I'd be strongly recommending against wading regularly in an 'ordinary' car.
    Any water much higher than the bottom of the bodywork is going to be getting close to and into stuff like wheel bearings and brakes, suspension bushings, wiring looms and lights, steering joints and linkages, and the multitude of openings that appear to be in pretty much all monocoque car bodies these days.
    Going only a little deeper will have the transmission, clutch, and the bottom end of the engine taking a dip.
    Catalytic converters particularly don't take kindly to the sudden shock of a dramatic temperature change, as would happen if you were to go wading at the end of a journey, and the radiator fan may decide to join in the fun at an inopportune moment too.
    A hot transmission can suck water in through the seals when suddenly cooled, especially if the breathers aren't working properly.

Given that you say that the "lane" has construction going on, it's pretty likely that the water you'd be wading through is well laced with silt and other rubbish that will only accelerate any damage being done by the water alone. This silt and rubbish will also lodge in various nooks and crannies in the car, retaining moisture and promoting corrosion.

Bear in mind too, that as the lane is being used for construction, that the lane surface under the water may change quite rapidly, leading to unpleasant surprises if/when new and unknown potholes open up.

In short, unless the water is low (not much higher than a few inches), I'd be looking for alternative access or for the flooding to be rectified immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Put a snorkel on the car, or just don't drive through them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

Get a boat and park your car at the other end of the flood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

If there's a public right-of-way across the lane, the contractor/local authority is legally obliged to maintain such to a reasonable standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

its weather like this that makes me happy I'm driving the legacy than the GT.

I used to $hit myself when I had the E39 years ago going through floods aswell as the air intake was low on that aswell. Brown pants moments going thro the floods with fingers & toes crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Grab one of these and you should be grand. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

So the air filter is really the only important concern in a flood? good to know.

So the air filter is really the only important concern in a flood? good to know.

Not quite the air filter, the bit that feeds the air in to the air filter.

Water tends not to compress as well as air, so on the squeeze cycle of a 4 stroke engine it becomes bothersome with it's presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I just adjust the air suspension to the 'lift' setting and it raises me up about ten inches about the normal height.

I then proceed to floor it through the water and soak everyone within a 50 m radius....

* runs out of thread high fiving everyone in sight.....

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

people will always take risks with floodwater though!,
    i have heard of an €11,000 bill for an e-class merc after it went into a flood!! finding another way around is a better bet

years ago i was working on a farm out in meath, i was driving home on a backroad towards the balbriggan-drogheda road (on a 50cc gilera moped),i came around a corner and the road was flooded,i had to turn around and drive the 4 miles back to the n2 and find a new way home:(,

it was heartbreaking but it wasnt worth the risk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Hammertime wrote: »
    I just adjust the air suspension to the 'lift' setting and it raises me up about ten inches about the normal height.

I then proceed to floor it through the water and soak everyone within a 50 m radius....

* runs out of thread high fiving everyone in sight.....

:p

lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

Low gear and high revs and slow steady speed through the flood, never drive through a flood if another vehicle is going through it in front of you, if your behind him and he stops your fu@ked.
    Clonmel is flooded again so we get plenty of experience driving through them.

Why so bad to stop in a flood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

because you cant get out with out flooding the car or yourself if you need a push. Make sure you can drive through at a slow speed in a low gear with revs fairly high and dont stop..... ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

i floor it before i hit the water and stay off the accelerator while goin through it so the air isn't being sucked in as much 2 the engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Why so bad to stop in a flood?

Also you are pushing a wave ahead of you that drops the water level right in front of the car. You stop and then it levels and you get water into the intake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As Rovi said previously, the air intake is not the only one (but the most expensive) of your concerns.

Water sucked into the engine instead of air breaks the engine terminally. And by break I mean break ...kaputt ..throw away buy a new one kind of kaputt.

But besides that there are a multitude of other risks: Flooded/shorted electronic components (driving through a flood could potentially even set your car on fire). Burst turbos or catalytic converters (sudden cold water on red hot components makes them go "ping"). Silted up clutches or gearboxes (sandy water and mesh gears do not mix). Grinding bearings and brakes (once again ..abrasive sand on shiny surfaces)

And then there would be the minor nuisances: Electric components that arent' broken but still won't work until properly dried out. Soggy carpets and smelly trim. Wet silt in inaccessible recesses of the body work that will turn your car into crispy rust in no time at all.

Driving through floods really should best be avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

cascade35 wrote: »
    Low gear and high revs and slow steady speed through the flood, never drive through a flood if another vehicle is going through it in front of you, if your behind him and he stops your fu@ked.
    Clonmel is flooded again so we get plenty of experience driving through them.
    Why the high revs then?
    Old wives tale about water getting up the exhaust. Cars have much higher compression now so all you are doing in reving the engine to suck the water in through the air intake.......
    Low revs, low speed is the way to go.

i floor it before i hit the water and stay off the accelerator while goin through it so the air isn't being sucked in as much 2 the engine

It doesn't take buckets of water to break your engine ...one spoonfull should do a proper job :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

A lot of cars had to give up today, for sure.

This is the car that you need to drive, to survive:
    12444_178636218681_698008681_3019874_3332410_n.jpg

I'm in the VW T4 behind it, and that does also have the intake quite high, but honestly, I avoid going through flooded areas, wherever I can. All those poor Transits out there, not a good idea to go through floods either (actually .. Ford in general, low air-intake).

But yes, one thing is getting water into the engine, the other is all the gunk, that comes to sit in places like breaks etc. and there's plenty of electronics down there, too. Just to mention: tow hitch plug, parking sensors, break sensors, foglights.

/M

cadaliac wrote: »
    Why the high revs then?
    Old wives tale about water getting up the exhaust. Cars have much higher compression now so all you are doing in reving the engine to suck the water in through the air intake.......

no keep the revs up to force out the exhaust gases, the engine will stall if the exhaust cant clear the exhaust pipe and if it does with the pipe covered water can be sucked up the exhaust to the engine..the exhaust is after all a lot lower than the air intake! Not very high revs you understand, just enough to make sure it keeps going...

Why the high revs then?

It works for me, id much prefer low gear high revs and drive through at slow steady speed than to drive in on low revs and stall half way through. Been through a few floods tonight (no choice) and my method gets me through every time.
    Also anyone with limited driving experience of floods is more likely to stall half way on low revs.
    Anyway if your in deep enough to suck water in the air intake your in trouble what ever you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'll have to post a vid I took of a brand new 09 Opel Insignia being driven through a flood just recently.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I'll have to post a vid I took of a brand new 09 Opel Insignia being driven through a flood just recently.:D
    please do!

• Advertisement

cascade35 wrote: »
    please do!

what an apt name you have for this thread :-)

corktina wrote: »
    what an apt name you have for this thread :-)

Lol:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭bog master

Why the high revs then?

Ehmm, would respectfully disagree unless you are talking turbo diesels, petrol wise, very little change in compression ratios from the 70's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

GStormcrow wrote: »

How does the NSX stay running through that? Surely it would be choked of air, let along the overall height of the water wetting ECUs and other parts.

On the top of Air Filters, Ive read that Foam filters are better for wet environments than the standard Paper style OEM filters. Paper filters collapse when they get wet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Matt Simis wrote: »
    How does the NSX stay running through that? Surely it would be choked of air, let along the overall height of the water wetting ECUs and other parts.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055695065

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

If you drive a petrol car, then the ignition will be effected if it gets wet, carry some WD40,spray all the ignition cables, coil and distributer. The WD40 will help disperse the water.

Oh and get a Land rover Defender, even in standard mod they can wade in deeper than normal water.

Another problem would be the differential, as when this is hot and then hits cold water, it can suck water in and cause problems. Land rover s use a breather system on the axles, gearbox etc.

If there is a builder doing work, ask him to use his digger to dig a trench at one side of the road to try and allow the water to run of the road into the ditch or field beside the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Photo from todays Indo :eek:

floods_indo_417710d.jpg

Motorists take their chances by trying to get through the flooded Tuam Road at Two-Mile Ditch in Co Galway

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/families-trapped-by-flooding-and-more-storms-on-the-way-1947874.html?start=1

Just got the estimate through for one of our drivers who tried to drive his 26 day old 520d though a flood 2 weeks ago. Roughly €15,500 so less than the last one.

Here you go. Late model 09 Insignia, rather his new car than my old TLC:D
    View My Video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

R.O.R wrote: »
    Just got the estimate through for one of our drivers who tried to drive his 26 day old 520d though a flood 2 weeks ago. Roughly €15,500 so less than the last one.

wow, the cost of arrogance for that BMW driver is putting a little grin on my face..tut tut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

View My Video

Won't do a thing on it. It's not made of sugar, you know.........:)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

The water was higher than it appears, remember the back of the car is a low pressure area. The water was up around the headlights.
    Even on my 265/75-16 tyres it was coming up at least halfway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

btw, night before last, out on the bike, came over the brow of a hill, and, in the dark, and raining, only spotted the flood at the last minute....had the front wheel in it when I got the speed down, but too late to turn back - no reverse on a Harley ! - so, snap decision, don't put feet down, keep revs up, and trundle through....

What did I learn ? Oh, that a Harley makes a weird sound with the pipes under water.........:D !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

View My Video

Phew! Don't reckon it's one of mine. Can't make out the reg but it looks to be 3 digits after the county and all my black ones have at least 4 :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

galwaytt wrote: »
    btw, night before last, out on the bike, came over the brow of a hill, and, in the dark, and raining, only spotted the flood at the last minute....had the front wheel in it when I got the speed down, but too late to turn back - no reverse on a Harley ! - so, snap decision, don't put feet down, keep revs up, and trundle through....

What did I learn ? Oh, that a Harley makes a weird sound with the pipes under water.........:D !!

gurgle :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I went through some bad flooding today. I normally wouldnt do that but I had no other route of getting to work which was 1km away from where the flood was and with an impatient boss I couldnt take the 12 mile detour to avoid the flood. I was just annoyed. Didnt realise how deep it was until I saw the car in front of me splashing water and slowing down to a crawl. Next thing i see a stream going across the road. It was deep enough but it was hard to judge how deep as it was very dark and early in the morning. It was approx up to the wheel of my car when I went through it. Not Good :( I had reacted to the sitution a small bit late. I entered the stream with a big splash but slowed car down immediately to go through it with caution without trying to cause too much of a spash which might go into engine. I changed down to second gear , kept revs at 2200 and went through it slowly. I have a Diesel Passat TDI. I hear diesel engines are a c**t for sucking up water. Hope the air intake isn't too low on it. I left engine running for a couple of minutes after I arrived at work, just thought it might help to dry it out if water did get into the engine compartment. Is my engine wrecked? How would I know if something was wrong? Didnt notice anything unusual about it after. All my other work collegues had to do the same and go through the flood. I went a different route on the way home and avoided any areas where flooding was present on the roads.

thanks.

trust me ...you would have noticed something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

peasant wrote: »
    trust me ...you would have noticed something

What would I have noticed? Engine noise?

Hear that sad "clonk" noise at the end?

That's the engine breaking in bits because of hydrolock

and that engine doesn't run again afterwards ...or if it did it would somewhat sound like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

teednab-el wrote: »
    What would I have noticed? Engine noise?
    You would have noticed a certain change in the engine noise allright. It would be a good bit quieter than usual actually :D.

Seriously though, it sounds like you got away with it. If the engine ingested water, it would have given up on the spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement