Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying duck please

Options
  • 18-11-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi Folks

As this is my first Xmas ever staying in my own house with the OH, we have decided not to bother with the usual turkey and ham as neither of us would be big fans of turkey.

So we are having duck, as we both love it. The problem is, anytime we buy a duck in Dunnes or wherever and roast it, there is very little meat on it - barely enough for 2 small people (and we are not small :o).

Would anyone know how/where to source a whole duck with lots of meat on it? One of the lads at work suggested ordering from M & S (I'm in Cork City), but I would prefer not to do that.

Is it Barbery duck I should be looking for? Can you get a decent sized duck off the shelf? Would a good butcher be able to source one for me? Would the English Market in Cork be the place to go, or any butcher?

Sorry for all the questions, I haven't a clue about this.

Thanks in advance
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

you're better off getting a goose to be honest. tastes absolutely delicious, is much bigger than a duck, and has a lot less fat (although it still has plenty)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

I really don't think you will get a duck bigger than 2kg anywhere, and like you said, that would only cover two people at best.

There is a brand that does really good duck called SilverHall or Silverspoon, some variation on that. I much prefer them over the Barbary ones, the quality is far superior.

The goose suggestion would be your best bet I feel. Be a lot of tasty meat on it, more than enough for you both. Really is a shame about the ducks not having as much meat on them as you would expect, they would be perfect otherwise.

I love having the duck liver that comes with them, and using the duck fat to roast some beautiful potatoes !!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

you're better off getting a goose to be honest. tastes absolutely delicious, is much bigger than a duck, and has a lot less fat (although it still has plenty)

Wild duck isn't that fatty, nor is wild goose.

The duck in the supermarket is so fatty because it had a handy life.

If you really want duck, get wild, more meat less fat.

It still won't be enough for a xmas dinner, so try get wild goose

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

I know they ell duck breasts in Aldi, dont know how nice they are though

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Schnooks

Thanks for the replies folks.

By the sound of things, goose is the way to go. We have never had it, is it similar to duck? I would imagine that the meat is dark like duck, but what about the flavour? Is it very strong/gamey?

Would a butcher be able to source one for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's closest to duck, and a decent sized supermarket will have them, or any that require you to take orders will order for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Goose is like duck but with all the best things multiplied - the skin is thicker and crisps up wonderfully, the meat is richer and the fat makes the best roast potato you will ever eat!

Try a good butcher who will source one from a reliable source - the supermarket ones are usually imported from eastern europe, whereas your butcher will source one locally. Ask him for lots of extra fat (they take it out of the cavity and its very precious! so they don't hand it over unless you ask) - and the giblets for your gravy.

I just had to share this recipe for Roast Goose with mashed potato stuffing - the potato absorbs goose fat as it cooks and is the most velvety texture, really lovely. Also the advice on roasting is spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Mellor wrote: »
    Wild duck isn't that fatty, nor is wild goose.

The duck in the supermarket is so fatty because it had a handy life.

If you really want duck, get wild, more meat less fat.

It still won't be enough for a xmas dinner, so try get wild goose

be very careful with wild duck tho, its not as big as a "roasting Duck" so it can overcook very easily, but for an average sized wild duck you'd get 2 portions and it'll cook in bout 15 min, but dont be put off by the fat of a larger bird, as a chef our first motto of food is fat= flavour, and all that fat is amazing for your potatoes, if your roasting a larger duck or goose, my advice is score the whole bird lightly and put plenty of salt on as this help crispen the skin, also start if off in a very high oven, 220-230 dgrs then turn it down to a moderate oven 160-170 , this will give you the crisp skin and keep it moist..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Schnooks wrote: »
    By the sound of things, goose is the way to go. We have never had it, is it similar to duck? I would imagine that the meat is dark like duck, but what about the flavour? Is it very strong/gamey?

I would reccomend goose also. It's quite similiar to duck, and probably even nicer in my opinion. Put it this way, if you like duck then I'd be 99% certain you will like goose. It has much more meat on it than duck, so alot more suitable for Christmas, and while not quite as fatty as duck, it still has more than enough fat that you will get nice crispy skin and good roast potatoes. It'll be significantly more expensive than a duck, but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 epicurist

Go to the English Market, and try to get the Skeaghanore Duck, it is from west cork ( near the Pink Castle)

can compeed with the best french birds, silver hill is too commercial -but it is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Schnooks

epicurist wrote: »
    Go to the English Market, and try to get the Skeaghanore Duck, it is from west cork ( near the Pink Castle)

can compeed with the best french birds, silver hill is too commercial -but it is ok

Thanks for the info. Would that Skeaghanore duck have more meat than one you would pick up off the shelf? And where in the English market would I ask for one?

Advertisement