Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Barrell not in great condition

Options
  • 18-11-2009 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi Guys often read the treads but never asked questions or left replies before.

I bought my shotgun second hand almost 3 years ago, it is in fairly good condition but the black on the barrel is pretty much gone barrel is almost silver. it would apear if i dont clean the gun to well the black will begin to return but this leads to rust marks which piss me off even more than silver barrels. I think the previous owner may have been to sever when cleaning barrels.

The gun is 12g u/o Mistrail(cant remember actual make) if someone could remind me would be greatful.

Basically can i do anything to improve condition fo barrels. Photo arent geat but hopefully you know what i talking about.
    Thanks sorry about the essay
    Ronan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

There are cold blue products that you can apply yourself, but are really only a touch up job.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=474604

From the sound of things a pro might be the best person to use. However this might proove cost prohibitive.

I'd say the gun slip is the main cause of wear here.

You could alternativly strip the bluing completly and get her chromed for the pimped look:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Pro job in my opinion. I've read a few threads here and there on DIY bluing, and I don't think any have been truly happy with the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rola

Was kinda hoping that was not going to be the answer but that life what sort of money am i looking at. John from you location im figuring you may be able to answer would duffy be able to do anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

No idea, I don't deal with him. There's a guy in Newport in Mayo, supposed to be well into his shotguns, McGee I think is his name, could be worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

The success of DIY blueing depends very much on the sort of steel in the barrels. I have a Model 25 AYA that I completely cleaned down and blued from scratch with Hoppe's Blue and it looks as good and wears as well as the factory finish. But the same blue barely works on my Miroku or Browning and has no effect at all on the Beretta. If you do try it yourself, the main thing is a complete degreasing with alcohol between applications. Even the grease of your fingertips will prevent the blue working properly. Also rub with wire wool between each application. Its kind of like french polishing - too much, too quick and you have to strip it down and start alover again:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If the gun is a field gun you could use spray on High temp paint in low sheen black, this is actually a pretty durable finish similar to the Remington express finishes.
    As always prep is everything to a good finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Give this guy a shout..http://www.irelandcustomrifle.com/ im pretty sure he does duro coating..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you feel the blueing is essential for you by all means get it done but it doesn't affect the working of the gun. If you want to prevent corrosion you only need to wipe the gun with an oily cloth before you take it out and let it dry before you wipe it with an oily cloth again when you bring it in.

Advertisement