Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making portions of a site editable

Options
  • 18-11-2009 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hola,
    I have someone who has an existing (basic html) site, they are looking for a web based editor to edit the content on some of the pages (special offers etc..) and want to be able to do it from any pc (not a software solution)

Anyone know of any quick utilities for this - dont fancy moving them over to a "proper" cms as they are happy with the site itself.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 spiderpig2k7

Try cushycms.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

+1 for cushycms

Note that cushycms doesn't facilitate adding new pages which probably suits your requirements. (There are ways to facilitate doing this but not explicitly within the cms)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

Do you have a control panel with your hosting account? There should be a editor in there for you to fix up your website anywhere with a computer and internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

tricky D wrote: »
    +1 for cushycms

Note that cushycms doesn't facilitate adding new pages which probably suits your requirements. (There are ways to facilitate doing this but not explicitly within the cms)

Yep, this drives me mad - makes it more of a fancy content editor than a content management system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

eoin wrote: »
    Yep, this drives me mad - makes it more of a fancy content editor than a content management system.

OTOH it can be a boon. Some clients should only be allowed minimum access to content. You've prolly got a few of them yourself. Why only last month, I had a client from Clontarf who blanked their Wordpress homepage and didn't know to simply scroll down to revert to a previous version despite it being clear in the training docs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ddub

Perfect solution for what I was looking for folks - thanks a million for the heads up on this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

eoin wrote: »
    Isn't that exactly it's beauty? There's tons of full blown CMSs out there, but not many that fit this very small precise niche.

But it's marketed as a CMS, and it already has configurable options for the designer to determine what can be edited. It would be so easy to be able to upload a template with the editable areas pre-defined, without it becoming an over-blown solution.

I do absolutely love how easy it is to implement, but not having the ability to add news articles is a major pain in the hole for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I think if they started adding that functionality the whole 'easy to implement' would get watered-down. 'just setting up templates' opens up a whole load more issues that you'd think.

Perhaps light CMS, might be what you're looking for. I believe it's like cushyCMS but with more page management:
    http://www.speaklight.com/

As a more general discussion, I think it's really tough with services like this how tochange when your customers outgrow your service. Do you change the very nature of your product or service to become more of a pro app, or do you just say no, keep the product aimed at the same audience and let people be frustrated and have to move on. It's a tough call.

I found a similar option to cushy last week, but it allowed template creation and page adds, and was adding features too.
    http://pagelime.com/

I may actually use this 'un.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Perch seems the best out of these lightweight editors, will probably try it out soon enough.

I found a similar option to cushy last week, but it allowed template creation and page adds, and was adding features too.
    http://pagelime.com/

I may actually use this 'un.

Thanks for that, that looks interesting.

Advertisement