Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again.......???

Options
  • 18-11-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=602748

Does this band ever stop touring???? If they announce an Irish date, I hope to f**k it won't be in that Godforsaken HELL HOLE that is Marlay Park!!!???

Am I the only one who wants an indoor concert this year???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

i dont care if its in door or ourdoor i just need a proper bar, cant drink any more of that watered down beer crap the last time i had the worst headache troughout the gig! Actually if it was in door there is more chance of some spirts:D

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

I kinda like the outdoor ones...

But thats because I have a mate that always gets me pit passes so i can sit on the grass drinking beer all day and then go straight up to the front when they come on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Am I the only one who wants an indoor concert this year???:confused:

Nope, an indoor show would be far better than another outdoor one. Who knows, we might even be able to hear them!

And maybe they could drop 'Whiskey...' from the setlist...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I kinda like outdoor shows. Unless its pissing down rain. You can just chill out and sit on the grass.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

is it possible for them to come to Ireland and not play Whisky? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Well in August they got Whiskey over with relatively early which wasn't too bad.

Also, I like outdoor gigs. Especially if the weather is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

I would love to see them again Ireland if they an announced an indoor show. Outdoor shows are fine now and again but i think a metallica gig really would benefit from being indoors - sound, lighting, stage set up etc.

We are overdue an indoor show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The only problem I can see with an indoor gig... Is there an indoor venue in Ireland big enough for a band like Metallica? Don't think the o2 would be big enough, nor would the RDS indoor bit... Even outside of Dublin, there are relatively few indoor venues that would come close to being big enough for a band like Metallica.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

DazMarz wrote: »
    The only problem I can see with an indoor gig... Is there an indoor venue in Ireland big enough for a band like Metallica? Don't think the o2 would be big enough, nor would the RDS indoor bit... Even outside of Dublin, there are relatively few indoor venues that would come close to being big enough for a band like Metallica.
    Point not big enough? You're joking, right?? They have played there before, you know, when it was a smaller venue than now.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

blastman wrote: »
    Point not big enough? You're joking, right?? They have played there before, you know, when it was a smaller venue than now.

No, the o2 is not big enough for Metallica's current stage setup. They play in the round and there's no way that they could fit their stage, lighting rig etc. into it.

09sep1909_pic14.jpg
    10oct3109_pic01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

DazMarz wrote: »
    blastman wrote: »

Metallica sold out Marlay Park and the RDS Arena in recent times... These places hold, what, say ballpark of 30,000 people. The o2 only holds in or around 14,000 (I am completely open to correction on these figures). Looking at that, it does not seem likely that the o2 would hold even half the people who went to Marlay or RDS.

Plus, as stated above, Metallica's stage set and lighting rig is so huge now, the o2 in Dublin could not cope with it.... The o2 in London on the other hand........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

AC/DC sold out Punchestown Racecourse but still played a gig in the Point this year as well. Most indoor venues aren't big enough to hold enough the amount of people that want to get into them, but then there's no point playing to a half-empty hall either. You let as many people see you as possible by playing a second night.

While I accept the Point isn't conducive to in-the-round gigs, it lakes no sense to say you want to play as many indoor gigs as possible and then bring a set that won't fit into the majority of venues. The roof of the Point now is very high, I don't think there's too many stage sets it couldn't accommodate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

What about the RDS indoor arena. I remember seeing Korn there years back, and it seems big enough. Or am I just remembering wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

LD 50 wrote: »
    What about the RDS indoor arena. I remember seeing Korn there years back, and it seems big enough. Or am I just remembering wrong?

That place is tiny. I think it barely holds 6000 people??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

yeah I really hope they come here again next year! it will be my 5th year running :D never get tyred of it though, one of the best gigs you can go too! :) Yep hope its somewhere different to Marley Park, I like the venue dont get me wrong but its sooo ages away! :rolleyes: especially if you want to get a good plce! RDS is cool, saw them there in 04 and 06, Marley park was good the first time in 08 though, just seemed different to this years gig:o! Dont know about indoors though, itl be different anyway as Iv always experienced Metallica gigs outdoors! Will hopefully be going with the OH next year anyway! cant wait! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I'm not so sure about this notion that the O2 can't handle Metallica's stage setup. There's already been a few 'in-the-round' events there, e.g. Britney Spears brought some kind of 3-ring circus show there a while back.

Metallica's current indoor stage doesn't look so big that it wouldn't fit into the venue.

The RDS Simmonscourt on the other hand....iirc it has a really low roof. And capacity wise it would be a lot smaller than the O2.

The Odyssey in Belfast might be a good shout for an indoor Metallica show, and they haven't played up there since 1988.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I think the O2 could easily fit the stage, the problem methinks is the amount of space left for standing patrons, probably knock the capacity down by a few hundred. Those who would be seated would get a pretty damn good view though.

I think the O2 could easily fit the stage, the problem methinks is the amount of space left for standing patrons, probably knock the capacity down by a few hundred. Those who would be seated would get a pretty damn good view though.

Just announced a date in Belfast at the Odyssey Arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Just announced a date in Belfast at the Odyssey Arena.

Fuck it anyway, they would have to announch a date during the middle of my summer exams:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just looking at the Points website there's only 1 show between the 7th and 14th of May,room to squeeze in a Metallica show methinks.:)

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    Just looking at the Points website there's only 1 show between the 7th and 14th of May,room to squeeze in a Metallica show methinks.:)

Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    yeah I really hope they come here again next year! it will be my 5th year running :D never get tyred of it though, one of the best gigs you can go too! :) Yep hope its somewhere different to Marley Park, I like the venue dont get me wrong but its sooo ages away! :rolleyes: especially if you want to get a good plce! RDS is cool, saw them there in 04 and 06, Marley park was good the first time in 08 though, just seemed different to this years gig:o! Dont know about indoors though, itl be different anyway as Iv always experienced Metallica gigs outdoors! Will hopefully be going with the OH next year anyway! cant wait! :)

Lol I dont think you'll be going with the OH next year (but i'd have an inside knowledge on that line :P)

Seriously though.. they gotta learn when to give it up... Seen two metallica gigs here in the last two years, and i'm not going again (maybe will change my mind if its indoors).

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Lol I dont think you'll be going with the OH next year (but i'd have an inside knowledge on that line :P)

Seriously though.. they gotta learn when to give it up... Seen two metallica gigs here in the last two years, and i'm not going again (maybe will change my mind if its indoors).

Same here mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Denny M wrote: »
    is it possible for them to come to Ireland and not play Whisky? :P

RDS August 2003. The crowd kept chanting for it, they promised they'd play it next summer. They did, and have every year since.

Ye couldn't have just kept your mouths shut.... :mad: :D

Advertisement