Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donnington Park goes into Administration

• 18-11-2009 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Just saw this on Donnington's website, not really suprising after the failure of their deal for an F1 race.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

frostie500 wrote: »
    Just saw this on Donnington's website, not really suprising after the failure of their deal for an F1 race.

I presume there where penalty clauses in the contract they signed with FOM and now breached.

They had started work at the track but I don't know if they are building new alongside the old or have pulled down the old. Is it a case that they have demolished the old pits for example.

At least Tom Wheatcroft won't have to see his track dug up and looking like a building site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

zeris wrote: »
    At least Tom Wheatcroft won't have to see his track dug up and looking like a building site.

Exactly what i thought when i seen this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Shame about this. I haven't been to Silverstone in a few years, as it can be a pain, so I was really looking forward to going to Donnington next year.

zeris wrote: »

I think part of it's already dug up! I think the big question is how much is it going to cost to repair it, and who's going to pay???

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

mrmac wrote: »
    Shame about this. I haven't been to Silverstone in a few years, as it can be a pain, so I was really looking forward to going to Donnington next year.

I think part of it's already dug up! I think the big question is how much is it going to cost to repair it, and who's going to pay???

:eek:

If Bernie gets really pissed off with Silverstone maybe he will step in(or find someone with the £££) and takeover the running of Donnington and get it finished :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

More likely Bernie will take the slot somewhere else altogether! Money talks, and Bernie is happy to go wherever the money is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

mrmac wrote: »
    More likely Bernie will take the slot somewhere else altogether! Money talks, and Bernie is happy to go wherever the money is.

Yeah but he makes the most money at circuits that he has some kind of involvement in. Now if he can get someone to come in with him and take the risk to fund it, while he guarantees the GP for 20 years its win win if it fails he walks somewhere else, if it works out he is a hero for saving the British GP(the irony being he is the one that put it at risk). The only thing is whether they can get it finished in time for 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sorry for anyone who loses their jobs because of this but

HOORAY!!!

that Donnington fell thru, crap track. Hope Silverston is confirmed back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Scober11

Donnington needed the work done to the track, the Melbourne loop is crap to drive and the rest of it isn't much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Scober11 wrote: »
    Donnington needed the work done to the track, the Melbourne loop is crap to drive and the rest of it isn't much better.

Yeah the Craner Cruves really are a crap place to see a racing car or bike in action! From Redgate all the way to the Foggy esses Donnington is a cracking track. The end section was needed to take the track upto GP length but yeah the loop could be improved but the final turn is a good off camber one that challenges drivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

well thats donington shafted totally, can they recover or is it just a matter of time before the circuit closes for good ?
    (rmembers many great days watching rs cosworth touring cars and many monsters of rock festivals)

Silverstone signs 17-year deal for British Grand Prix

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8397777.stm

good news for british gp fans i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

well thats donington shafted totally, can they recover or is it just a matter of time before the circuit closes for good ?
    (rmembers many great days watching rs cosworth touring cars and many monsters of rock festivals)

Silverstone signs 17-year deal for British Grand Prix

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8397777.stm

good news for british gp fans i guess

Donnington didnt get shafted. They bit off far more then they could chew. Their plans for the circuit were far too ambitous and they didnt raise enough money to host the race and build the new track. The bosses never disclosed how they planned to get the money, claimed to have planning permission when they didnt, tore up the entire racetrack so that not even club racing can take place it at present and have British motorsport with one less international class circuit.

Silverstone has stepped into the breach at the last minute because they are responsible enough not to let themselves fall down the path of paying highly for a race when it wouldnt be profitable. Because of the polocies of the new owners of Donnington their circuit lost both the Formula 1 and MotoGP races for Britain to Silverstone

Advertisement