Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loudest fan?

Options
  • 18-11-2009 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to work out what the loudest fan in my case is when idle. It's perfectly acceptable, I'm just aiming for ninja silent here!

It's either:
    - Intel 1156 stock fan;
    - Corsair TX650w fan; or
    - HD4890 fan @ 20% fan speed.

Taking off the side panel, it wasn't immediately obvious which was making the humming, so I was just curious if you guys had any thoughts.

(I'm hoping you'll say the Intel so getting an after-market cooler at a later date will really make this quiet :) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Well in my own experience, ditching the AMD stock cooler I had for a Xigmatek worked wonders.

Plus, I have a 4890 as well which is barely audible on idle but a little attention seeker under load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

From my experience the Corsair psu's are almost silent, if the 4890 is a ati revision card with stock cooler it's very quiet too. So i would say the stock intel cooler would be the loudest part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Farcear wrote: »
    I'm trying to work out what the loudest fan in my case is when idle. It's perfectly acceptable, I'm just aiming for ninja silent here!

It's either:
    - Intel 1156 stock fan;
    - Corsair TX650w fan; or
    - HD4890 fan @ 20% fan speed.

Taking off the side panel, it wasn't immediately obvious which was making the humming, so I was just curious if you guys had any thoughts.

(I'm hoping you'll say the Intel so getting an after-market cooler at a later date will really make this quiet :) )

use the ye olde pc builders stethoscope: cardboard tube from a toilet roll.
    Open your case, hold the tube to your ear and you should be able to trace the noise.

I also hope you know you are now on the slippery slope: pretty soon you will be replacing case fans, fitting a 3rd party cooler to the gfx card ;-)

After you fix one noise problem, the next annoying fan you never heard before becomes the next one to be tackled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

uberpixie wrote: »
    use the ye olde pc builders stethoscope: cardboard tube from a toilet roll.

Or just roll up a magazine/anything really

I actually read a review how the corsairs don't fair well when under any kind of load noise wise.
    Can't say i notice it too much, Although saying that my pc is very loud... And when i'm playing games i tend to have the sound on and don't pay much attention to the other noises goin on around my room.

• Advertisement
Advertisement