Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish strike - 24 November 2009

• 17-11-2009 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hi guys can anyone help me out by telling me are Irish Rail on strike thata day also i heard the airport's may be striking also? We'll be flying back that day and then using train so am in a a bit of a panic!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The opinion so far is "no strike" on transport, but there may be some knock-on disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

I asked a staff member in a Dart station today if they were going out on strike and he said that they are part of SIPTU and they they have been given the option of going out or not themselves, rather than a blanket decision. If this is the case and a more authoritative source of information doesn't come up in the meantime, I would suspect that services may be running, but with some delays.

Mind you, the service has been fairly ropey since they started running trains over the Malahide Viaduct again, so I'm not sure how much difference that might make...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

I have to get a bus on the morning of the 24th, and don't want to be left a chump waiting for one in the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

I have to get a bus on the morning of the 24th, and don't want to be left a chump waiting for one in the rain

No word on any strike yet. I don't think they'll go out - they'd need a ballot plus seven-days notice to legally do one and they're out of time on that score.

I would suspect that the union brothers down in Irish Rail in Cork though would probably not worry about such customs. But I think Dublin Bus will be fine - just probably some knock-on disruption from protests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Minor but I'd imagine there'd be a little disruption around UCD. Staff will have pickets on the gates which I don't think DB drivers will pass. Thus the entire expresso service will have to find somewhere else to park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I have to get the Dart from Monkstown and the train from Connolly to Belfast............do we think they'll be striking? if they don't, will there be pickets on the gates???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

cjmcork wrote: »
    I have to get the Dart from Monkstown and the train from Connolly to Belfast............do we think they'll be striking? if they don't, will there be pickets on the gates???

How can they picket (or even why would they) if they're not on strike?

They haven't balloted for strike action so there won't be official strikes by any of the transport unions, so there won't be pickets. Whether any unofficial action takes place no-one can tell, apart from the mad brethren in cork i would say it's unlikely there will be any unofficial action.

Advertisement