Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband range extension

• 18-11-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I have wireless broadband in my house but one of the rooms I want to use my laptop in is out of range, is there any sort of device I can get to amplify the signal and extend the range?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

First thing you can do is try moving around your wireless router.

In particular try to move it onto a high shelf. I found I got much greater distance by moving my router just one meter higher.

You can also try pointing the aerials in different directions.

There are extender devices, but I don't know how well they work, someone else might know.

Also if you switch to a higher quality 802.11n router and use N in 2.4GHz, you might get greater range. However make sure to get a dual radio model if you will also continue to use 802.11g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Hi OP,
    yes there is a device, it's called a "wireless range extender", do a google search and plenty should pop up. These can be fiddly things to set up.

As bk has suggested, moving your wireless router would be the preferred option. I moved mine to a shelf high in the attic, it made an enormous improvement on my wireless range.

Advertisement