Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25 Suir Bridge Documentary

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

With a toll on it, I don't see it doing much help to relieve traffic at the Rice bridge.

What was really needed was the N24/ N9 traffic getting accross the city without having to go through its city centre streets. I do think The N25 bypass was needed, but this layout doesn't really sort the traffic situation. All it does it gives commuters who use the N25 a Faster route over the river. The Rice bridge will still have it's problems and the N9/N24 layout hasn't really improved at all. There is no circulation at all.

I'd say only about 8,000 a day max use the Suir bridge. Though with a toll, it could even be less.

What most people don't realise(or maybe they do.) The majority of N25 traffic is locally generated or commuters going to and from Waterford. The through traffic going from Cork to to Rosslare would be pinceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

placard wrote: »
    I agree.. The tunnel will have more traffic as it will take all the traffic from Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, Galway, Clare, Kerry, Cork, Waterford and some. I think the idea is to have at least dual carriagway from wexford to Donegal/Derry bypassing Waterford,Cork,Limerick,Galway and smaller towns on route.

They are asking for a toll of 3 euro or more, lol.. They can fup off. Actually the Limerick tunnel has the same problem as Waterford. It doesn't have efficient traffic circulation for all routes to attract traffic from all routes.

The Majority of cross city traffic

Galway Cork(N17,N18,N20)

N21 connecting to N18-N20 and N7

N18 connecting to N24 and M7 as destination (the tunnel would not attract this movement imo)

It would be far faster going NCR straight through town than swinging south the city and then paying a full whack toll. It seems derelicous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

mysterious wrote: »
    They are asking for a toll of 3 euro or more, lol.. They can fup off. Actually the Limerick tunnel has the same problem as Waterford. It doesn't have efficient traffic circulation for all routes to attract traffic from all routes.

The Majority of cross city traffic

Galway Cork(N17,N18,N20)

N21 connecting to N18-N20 and N7

N18 connecting to N24 and M7 as destination (the tunnel would not attract this movement imo)

It would be far faster going NCR straight through town than swinging south the city and then paying a full whack toll. It seems derelicous.

mysterious, did you ever see the temporary bypass Mitchelstown for the past 2-3 years, surely that shape of road is similar to that going N18 to N20 to N7.
    As regards paying for it, when you have a journey of 3-4 hours to make, trust me, you would have no problem paying the price of a bottle of coke for a toll if it saves you having to negotiate the traffic in Irelands 3rd biggest city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

mysterious wrote: »

The toll is only going to cost €1.90 for cars. It is badly needed, no doubt whatsoever about that.

The is an average of 20-25k AADT M7,M20 and the N18.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Bards wrote: »
    Everyone say sorry to RTE,

they are to show a documentary on the New Suir Bridge

http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7812&Itemid=1&ed=767

RTE’s ever popular "Nationwide" programme is to feature a special package next week on the new Suir Bridge.

On Monday night, November 23rd, the station’s South East Correspondent, Damien Tiernan, will report on the success of the bridge and the amazing history of Waterford’s previous attempts to have a second river crossing built at the city.

There will also be superb archive pictures of "Timbertoes" and other matters which will be of great interest to Waterford and south Kilkenny people.
    7:00 PM this evening. I'm sure it'll be available on the RTÉ Player for up to three weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm watching it now, Ryan is such a lame screen presence and the programme cheaper than chips. Terrible script editing, country and western music (wtf). Only about 5 mins is about the bridge and the earlier crossings.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1060791

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Haven't seen it yet, but based on Mike's description, I'd rather not watch it at all. The reality is that we have nothing to apologise to RTÉ for, because they have utterly failed to document the revolutionary transport transformation effected by the construction of the interurban motorways and other life-saving road realignments. Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Furet wrote: »
    Haven't seen it yet, but based on Mike's description, I'd rather not watch it at all. The reality is that we have nothing to apologise to RTÉ for, because they have utterly failed to document the revolutionary transport transformation effected by the construction of the interurban motorways and other life-saving road realignments. Shame on them.

Yes I thought it was going to be an awful lot better, but it was a P**s poor attempt, I take it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Did anybody else notice in Ryans 30second intro, there were no cars heading east on the bridge at all. I thought at first it must have been filmed before it opened then a truck and a car passed westbound...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

He said it was a product of the Celtic tiger, which we all know is code for 'waste'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Agreed, a very poor show, Mike above is spot on with his criticisms.

And Michael Ryan is obviously losing it - faltering and looking down at his script continually.

I think they must have got the latest work-experience trainees to edit and direct it.

Bad.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    He said it was a product of the Celtic tiger, which we all know is code for 'waste'.

Yea, that was kind of a stupid comment I thought. Undermining the existence and need for the whole thing. That's how it came across.

It's not completely finished of course; the M9 opening soon (we hope) will compliment the bypass and bridge very nicely indeed.

Advertisement