Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Position of Research Assistant, leading to PHD...advice please!

Options
  • 18-11-2009 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hello
    I have a M.Ed and I am contemplating applying for a position of research assistant, (during which I could study for my PHD as well)

I obviously understand the role of research assistant, but I can't seem to find salary scale, holiday entitlements etc..

anyone any advice for me?

it is part-time, fixed contract

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Fragglefur

from what I understand there are no set guidelines for how much research assistants are paid etc, it usually depends on the institution (and or grant holder) and on how much they want to pay you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jrd_old

As Fragglefur said, it really depends on the grant holder..
    In some colleges/universities research assistants are considered to be part of the student body, and as such you wont be PRSI insured, and may be required to pay fees out of your salary.

Personally I got stung with this one when I started my phd. I was quoted a salary of 17,000 euros but was not informed until later that I was expected to pay fees out of this.

Others consider research assistants to be members of the staff and may require you to supervise undergraduates, give tutorials etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭acmj2007

Thanks for the replies
    the position is as member of staff
    I found the pay scale, but I have no idea where I would come on to it!
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

acmj2007 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies
    the position is as member of staff
    I found the pay scale, but I have no idea where I would come on to it!
    thanks

Ask up in HR

Advertisement