Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what kind of insulation to put in vents in house?

Options
  • 18-11-2009 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭

hi, I'm lookin to insulate my vents in my new house as its a fair draught coming in. Any idea's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    hi, I'm lookin to insulate my vents in my new house as its a fair draught coming in. Any idea's?

How can you insulate a vent, it's meant to be a hole? The best you can do is limit the air flow a bit. If you have a fixed grill in the room then you can tape up a few slats or replace it with sliding grill which you can close slighty. Do not block the vent completely as it could cause other side effects such as damp walls, especially if you're still decorating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

its not safe to block vents, your house will be airtight and you could easily make RTE news when your found dead :)

IMO.... its madness not to close over the vents if there is wind blowing directly on the outside of the wall, just remember to open them again when the place is warmed up, and open a window asap if you start to feel sleepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

if your only blocking vents for a while because of windy weather,use attic insulation....moy insulation or rock wool .it can be easily removed later

• Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Don't block them with insulation. Install an adjustable vent over them.
    You can pick them up for a couple of euro' sin Woodies.

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-id-5187-Adjustable-Air-Vent-229mm-x-76mm.html

Advertisement