Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

In a crash, now car needs repairs.

Options
  • 18-11-2009 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Folks,

I was in a car crash and the passenger side of my car was damaged, the passenger door and quater panel.

Originally i was going to get this sorted with the person directly and have no insurance involved. When i got a quote to fix it, it was over €4,500.

She now said she wants to go through the insurance but the insurance weren't happy with the quote i got. They asked me to get a quote with their local company for repairing crashed cars for them "Crofton Motors" on sun drive near harolds cross. They done a quote to repair the whole car for €4,200. which has been agreed with the insurance company.

Im worried the car with not be worth much next year when i go to sell it, just wondering what anyone else would do in this situation? I could just agree to have the car services there, but is that just being lazy. I will have to tell the next buyer it was in a crash which will put bad thoughts in their head about the car. That is why I wanted BMW to carry out the repairs

Is there anything I should look out for?
    Is there any other options I have, like to refuse to get it repaired and have it scrapped? I heard you can have it written off by them and buy it back alot cheaper.

it's a Bmw 318ci 2000 so you can see how many are on the market now a days.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

BMW won't repair it themselves, they'll just subcontract it to a bodyshop which is authorised by BMW to represent the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Get the work done at a place that suits you not them. Tell the insuance company your are not interested in dealing with their repairers as you have never heard of them and they are not a BMW approved garage.

Seeing as they are being smart arses with you concerning your previous quote I would go to 2 BMW main dealers and get them to quote and tell the insurance company that you only allow main dealer to work on your car. You'll find the BMW quote is about 6 or 7k.

They cannot have an issue with a main dealer thay are all approved repairers afaik. When they then make the cheque out to YOU, you can then go and get it repaired where ever you wish.

Edit - your car is realistically worth about 4k (I sold my immaculate FBMWSH 2002 330ci Clubsport with 70k miles on it for 7 grand last month), why don't you get your quote from BMW dealer, when you get the cheque for the repairs from the insurance, you can then just dispose of it for scrap and buy yourself something else.

Advertisement