Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plumber offered to flush radiators

Options
  • 18-11-2009 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We had a plumber in giving quotes on boiler maintenance and he offered a service to flush the radiators which would gett rid of possible sludge for €430.
    Never heard of this before - Is it worth while ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I would say its only worth it if you have cold spots ons your radiators , and if they are really goin to do a proper job of it, its easy to do it half assed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

What made him offer it. Is your system giving you trouble.

Its a good service it takes about half a day and if he offers to do it for 200 i would do it however

Is your system giving you trouble,

Is it old

Is the heat output low.

If the answer to one of these is yes then I would not bother if 2 then yes its worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Is there not a risk of damage with older (or badly corroded) installations. A badly corroded radiator may not leak under normal use but when subjected to pressure by flushing etc pinholes can become exposed?

Is there not a risk of damage with older (or badly corroded) installations. A badly corroded radiator may not leak under normal use but when subjected to pressure by flushing etc pinholes can become exposed?
    well if a radiator pinhole became exposed from a little bit of pressure then the radiator would be on the verge of needin to be replaced anyway better to find out there and then as they check the radiators afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Thanks for the replies.

the boiler was put in about 5 years ago, but seemingly the pump needs to be replaced (cant remember 100% whether we changed the pump).
    Its not really giving us problems, though after a service last Saturday it wouldnt turn on atall, but they were out again on Monday and they fixed it up then.

I think the heat output it like 85% (or maybe he said efficiency) and if we... hmmm change the pump that we would get it up to 95%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

well if a radiator pinhole became exposed from a little bit of pressure then the radiator would be on the verge of needin to be replaced anyway better to find out there and then as they check the radiators afterward.

No9t sure i aggree; if a system is badly corroded there is an underlying problem (pitching/ pumping over/ leak somewhere) which needs to be identified. Powerflushing of a system with corrosion issues could lead to a lot of damage to floor finishes and decor when water starts pissing everywhere! I wouldn't like my central heating system power flushed unless I was certain that there were no corrosion issues.

No9t sure i aggree; if a system is badly corroded there is an underlying problem (pitching/ pumping over/ leak somewhere) which needs to be identified. Powerflushing of a system with corrosion issues could lead to a lot of damage to floor finishes and decor when water starts pissing everywhere! I wouldn't like my central heating system power flushed unless I was certain that there were no corrosion issues.
    well now your talking about a whole different kettle of fish , if you suspect your system is badly corroded then your obviously not going to get a powerflush thats madness. If they were used to power flushing then they would check the system first for pitching/leaks etc last thing you need is to be blamed for an already existing problem.

The kind of system you describe isn't the norm in my experience as a boiler manufactures technician, most contaminated systems survive without issue a good power flush and if a inhibitor is added and kept in the system water then sludge will never be a issue again. The most common reason for sludge i find is the lack of inhibitor and correct flushing procedure when a boiler/system is first installed, also (as above)a decent plumber should walk through a heating system before flushing and look for heavy corrosion which should be evident, i totally agree if a system is badly corroded, proving there is no underlying installation issues would be first thing on my list of things to do, Gary.

Advertisement