Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Hotel with lots of car parking space?

Options
  • 18-11-2009 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm wondering could you help me out with finding a good hotel in Cork city that has good sized car park?

A few of us from the motors section are looking into organising a charity drive around Ireland for next summer and we plan on staying in Cork city on a Saturday night.

So we need a hotel that is decent enough but will be able to accommodate around 20 cars as well.

So has anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

Jurys on the Western road is probably your best bet! It's got underground parking for 100+ cars

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I use the Oriel House in Ballincollig with the club all the time. If you want, I can try to stroke a rate for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I use the Oriel House in Ballincollig with the club all the time. If you want, I can try to stroke a rate for you.

Only thing with the Oriel house is that it's in Ballincollig and not city centre.. so for drinks etc. you'd be a bit out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The Imperial use a multi-story about 5 minutes walk away...but I think you still have to pay.

Jurys (the one close to UCC) would be your only option - the underground carpark is fairly big.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks for the info so far, drinks wouldn't be too important, we dont want to be waiting around the next morning for everyone to get over there hangovers :D

Although having the options for a few pints would be nice, would the Oriel house be very far away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I stayed in the Oriel there a few weeks ago and it's at the far side of Ballincollig, about 15 mins walk into the centre where the main pubs etc. are. There is a nice little pub 10 min walk from the hotel, but the hotel does have it's own bar too - though we found there was no atmosphere there at all and had to leave!!

Ballincollig is about 20 mins drive with no traffic from City Centre.. there are regular busses and it'd definitely be a taxi job if you were to have drinks in city centre late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Jurys (the one close to UCC)

I'll be passing the door tomorrow - I can pop in and ask them for you if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

The clarion Hotel has a big underground carpark aswell. Thats in the city centre too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

jurys does have a big carpark but at weekends and evenings its nearly always over 90% to 100% full most of the time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

deRanged wrote: »
    I'll be passing the door tomorrow - I can pop in and ask them for you if you like?

I've sent them on an email but if you dont mind and see what they briefly say about it then that would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Jury's on the Western Road or the Kingsley Hotel out on the Lee Road. Jury's have access to a big underground carpark that's free for guests, while the Kingsley has a lot of surface space.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Try silversprings. Bout 10 mins from the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

SilverSprings or even the Radisson in Little Island offer the benefit on pretty quick access to the North/Sount Ring roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Kinglsey hotel first option and then maybe the Rochestown park - short walk to Douglas village or 3 miles from city centre. Would not recomment Oriel, just to far out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Kingsley is good. With a large over ground and underground car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

murphym7 wrote: »
    Kinglsey hotel first option and then maybe the Rochestown park - short walk to Douglas village or 3 miles from city centre. Would not recomment Oriel, just to far out.

I was just about to suggest the Rochestown Park too. Good sized carpark out the back and at least 7 pubs within a few minutes walk. I seem to remember a rally crowd were in there over the summer, or maybe the previous summer, too so you wouldnt be the first car people to have gone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I would give the nod to The Kingsley or Rochestown too. I have used the Kinglsey as a location for an old VW club that we started up a good few years ago. There is not that many pubs nearby really but if you're driving ho much drinking are you gonna do?
    Rochestown have a lot of space too with lots or eateries nearby from McDonalds to nice restaurants..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

Is this the Kingsley Hotel Carpark yer all suggesting?!!

11.jpg

Found it on another thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

gary82 wrote: »
    Is this the Kingsley Hotel Carpark yer all suggesting?!!

11.jpg

Found it on another thread....

That was exactly the picture i had in my mind when reading this thread , i had seen it earlier this morning when it was first posted , wonder was there many cars down there ? Terrible Flood .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

Stargate wrote: »
    That was exactly the picture i had in my mind when reading this thread , i had seen it earlier this morning when it was first posted , wonder was there many cars down there ? Terrible Flood .

A friend of mine works (worked) there, was told to find new job today. Supposedly a lot of new Audi's in the underground section without license plates. The hotel is wrecked, I live 100 yards from it. Shame.

• Advertisement

Apparently there was a whole load VW head people were over staying in the Kingsley for the official opening of the VW Orchard Road.
    You can see in the picture above that there are loads of VAG cars in the car park. Apparently there are even more in the underground section!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm wondering how many more cars are destroyed in undergound car parks. Ones that come to mind are Jurys, the Clarion, the Apartments at the end of the South Terrace which got destroyed before. Car insurance next year is going to be horrible.

104494431 tnx for the link , weather is really terrible , couldnt believe this morning was such a beautiful day and the city was in Chaos , more rain forcast for tonight and high tide , im on a hill thank god , but sure do pity everyone in the lower lands having all the flooding problems and the nitemare their going tru now , sorry bout your buddy loosing his/her job , and just before xmas as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

People forgot to mention the Kingsley also cater for top class submarines ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I'm wondering how many more cars are destroyed in undergound car parks. Ones that come to mind are Jurys, the Clarion, the Apartments at the end of the South Terrace which got destroyed before. Car insurance next year is going to be horrible.

It shouldnt be really are these people even covered act of god clause and all that . As far as i know they are not but someone correct me if im wrong

It shouldnt be really are these people even covered act of god clause and all that . As far as i know they are not but someone correct me if im wrong
    If you have fully comprehensive insurance then you are covered for flood damage. If you have 3rd party, fire & theft cover then you are not.
    Also if you drive your car into a flood you are not covered no matter what insurance you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

terrible to see jobs going as a result of this but seriously, whoever gave the go ahead for the building of a hotel and underground car park on a feckin floodplain needs to have their head tested...obviously it was some town planner with a job for life and accountable to no one.

terrible to see jobs going as a result of this but seriously, whoever gave the go ahead for the building of a hotel and underground car park on a feckin floodplain needs to have their head tested...obviously it was some town planner with a job for life and accountable to no one.

I often thought that , the Straight road of ALL places :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

That car park has been flooding since it was built and does so even with mild rain. To the VAG people, tough, you allowed one of the worst dealers in Ireland into the City and made God angry, still pity to see some nice Audi's ruined.

The Ambassador* can easily accommodate the OP and the run, built on a hill with enclosed parking means no floods here. PM me OP if you want me to go ask for a group rate.

MC

*Have no affiliation other than knowing they are a decently run hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I think the run is next summer, so none of the flooding will matter then - unless the hotel is gone out of buisness.......
    Jurys is also underground and under the level of the water in the Lee river next to it, as is the Clarion car park. In fact, in the carpark of the Clarion you can feel the temp of the water in the river if you touch corrigated steel sheeting that seperates you and the river water.
    I use the car park all the time. (not in this weather though). Very handy.
    For the convience of access to the south link, and closness to bars and resturants the Rochestown Park Hotel is the one to aim for. You can walk to Douglas village and you will have very easy access to the south link in the morning.
    The other hotels are in the city (accept Silversprings - but you will have to get a cab into town, and out again) and you will find traffic a pain depending on the day of the week etc.

Advertisement