Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual Carriageway near Blanchardstown Corporate Park

• 18-11-2009 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

I have been taken what is probably one of the shortest stretches of dual carriage way in Ireland for years and I have always wondered what the intention was of this road? Was this meant to be extended to connect to the N/M 2 perhaps?

I wonder if anyone knows more about this road. Here it is on a map:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.410759717226&lon=-6.36820256710052&zoom=17

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

i'd imagine that there were to be Blanchardstown Corporate Parks 3+4 also, further back in the development, this road might has been more necessary then to take traffic volumes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The Fingal Development plan doesn't show anything extending from the roundabout at the northern end anyway. I have wondered about this stretch before. It does have a certain 'supposed to be something greater' feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

That road is indeed meant for bigger things. It's one arm of what was planned to be a link between the N3 (the Damastown Way link road was finished), Tyrellstown, Blanchardstown's industrial area, the N2/M2 and, eventually, the airport.

There was to be a Y-shaped road going from the roundabout at exit 2 of the M2 towards Blanch, splitting around Dolly Heffernan's. One arm would go towards the big roundabout beside the ESB facility (you can see a big gap left at the roundabout there), linking up with the dual-carriageway you're talking about.

The other arm at Dolly Heffernan's would head towards the back of that hotel in Tyrellstown (a retail park was to go in along with this) and link up with the now-finished Damastown Way.

A link to the airport could be provided by building a road from the roundabout on the R135 at the Brock Inn towards the northern end of the airport.

It was discussed by Fingal CoCo a lot while the M2 was being built and it came as far as them looking for 20m or so to fund it.

Somehow I don't think it'll happen for some time yet. It would be a great way of taking traffic off the M50 and could pave the way for an alternate orbital route for west Dublin, linking (some day) with the R113 route in Lucan that links the N4 and N7.

Well, we can dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Thank you JayeL for the information.

There is definitely is a need for a larger orbital and specifically a link between the N2 and N3 as the only really proper one north of the M50 is the R125.

So we can only hope that someone will see the light and complete the connection.

Advertisement