Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone stops broadband from working

• 18-11-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I have a strange problem, I just got my broadband set up the other day so I put an DSL filter onto the phone but that makes it not work. So I took it off and though I'd put up with the noise, but if I have my phone connected without a DSL filter the broadband will only connect at about 192 Kbps rather than the normal 2048 Kbps.

As another note, the DSL filter I got with the router I'm using is an English one, but I have a converter on it, would this be the issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Are you sure you have the filter on correctly? Also, filters need to be on any ports that have a phone connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭seregrail7

I've tried connecting it in every possible way, the ports are labeled so I'm certain what I have now is the correct way. The splitter is in the wall socket, then the phone connects to one port(labeled phone) and the router connects to the other(labeled DSL).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭davebuck

the DSL filter I got with the router I'm using is an English one, but I have a converter on it

That sounds like it could be the problem get an RJ11 filter

Any advice on where to get a filter? Went to Peats, PCWorld and Maplins today and none had an RJ11 filter. PCWorld was the only place with any at all, but they were the same as what came with my router.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Hi lads I am a non "techie" so be gentle. I just got wireless Broadband with BT and all works wonderfully its a BT VOYAGER 2110 modem. The only problem is that if I make a phone call or receive a phone call on my cordless phone the Internet drops. I spoke to a techie friend and also to BT basically they say the signal for the Wireless broadband is the same or very close to the signal for the cordless phone. ( I used an older phone with an actual wire and the Internet was fine)
    So, and the BT guy agreed I presume I can change my phone to one that operates on a different frequency...EXCEPT, BT say they dont know of any particular type of cordless that is on such a different frequency. Any ideas
    (a) What type of phone to get
    (b) Where can I get one

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

I can send you the standard Eircom phone/dsl splitter if you want I have a few spare are you saying the wall plate has the splitter in it as against the normal loose splitter?

I can send you the standard Eircom phone/dsl splitter if you want I have a few spare are you saying the wall plate has the splitter in it as against the normal loose splitter

Many thanks for the offer, the plugged into the wall plate is a splitter called Excelsus Z Blocker DSL Filter I plugged in the phone to one port, and the modem into the other. There was an ether net cable plugged in to one of the ports but not actually plugged into the computer. I unplugged it just there, I was just that both BT and my tech guy both said it was the frequency was the issue

Finally got my router sent out form Vodafone which came with some normal DSL filters and everything is working great now.

Sorry Discostu1 our mails crossed I was replying to seregrail 7 about sending out the filters.

Sorry Discostu1 our mails crossed I was replying to seregrail 7 about sending out the filters

No Prob you dont know anything about my issue by any chance ??.

• Advertisement

discostu1 wrote: »
    No Prob you dont know anything about my issue by any chance ??.

The only thing that springs to mind is your phone is the same or close to the wireless frequency of your broadband.I had the same problem at home when I tested a wireless CCTV system a while ago the frequency of the cameras was 2.4 GHz so maybe look at buying a new wireless phone I have a couple from Lidl and they work fine but just check the specifications on the phone before buying.

OK a bit more info my BT voyager operates at 2.4GHz I am looking at buying a Phillips cordless which operates at 1.9Ghz would that be a sufficient difference in frequency to stop it knocking out the internet????

yes that should work okay but to be sure why not check with the BT techs.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

I replaced our existing cordless phone with a new BT model, for which I had to get a BT-to-RJ11 adaptor. When I plug in the new cordless phone (into the phone/DSL splitter) it works, but the internet DSL connection goes dead. Remove it and go back to the old phone and the internet comes back.

I even tried plugging the new BT phone into another socket in the bedroom and it still knocks out the internet.

Might this BT phone need a "DSL filter", even though the old one didn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't drag up 3 year old threads like that. All phone equipment need filters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement