Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

next car advice

• 18-11-2009 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

i started driving and bought a 2500 almera 01, it was a nice car really clean no problems. but now im thinking of spending a bit more like 5-6 grand.

any ideas- it needs to be a step up from an almera hatch back! and the cooler the better - any have any thought on nice cars.

ps im not a boy racer so not into that scene

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

no-image-large.gif&width=120&height=90

Only buy this if you like getting wet :D

Ford Focus gets my vote. Good value, great to drive and they dont break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

ha ha! luckily the roof closes too, and no leaks!!!!

If your a girl, I've had two ford ka's, very cheap and fun! (not being sexist, but only really a girls car!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How about a Hyundai Coupe:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200938195225422

Not a sports car but look nice and cheap to tax & insure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

+1 for Ford Focus.
    if you want .:D
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=125574

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You'd be looking at an 03 focus for that money :rolleyes:. Although I've be looking at puma's a lot lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hal1 wrote: »
    You'd be looking at an 03 focus for that money :rolleyes:. Although I've be looking at puma's a lot lately.

Indeed you would:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200944195697620

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

ooo a mini one! awesome little cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Saab Ed wrote: »

Ford Focus gets my vote. Good value, great to drive and they dont break.

If you think an poverty spec 1.4/1.6L Focus is "great to drive" you really need to get out more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

VeVeX wrote: »
    If you think an poverty spec 1.4/1.6L Focus is "great to drive" you really need to get out more.

You're mistaking handling for performance. They have very good handling for the market segment they're in, Ford is well known for designing cars that handle well.

"Handles well in comparison to other cars in its class" would have probably been more appropriate.

Great to drive is a little ott Mr Clarkson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

"Handles well in comparison to other cars in its class" would have probably been more appropriate.

Great to drive is a little ott Mr Clarkson

Great contribution. Gold star. Did you even bother to read the replies in the context of the original post? No? I thought not...

OP, a focus would be a good step up. For the class of car nothing can match it really

Confab wrote: »
    You're mistaking handling for performance. They have very good handling for the market segment they're in, Ford is well known for designing cars that handle well.
    EPM wrote: »
    Great contribution. Gold star. Did you even bother to read the replies in the context of the original post? No? I thought not...

OP, a focus would be a good step up. For the class of car nothing can match it really

I was replying to the post above if you had followed the thread.

I take it you own a Focus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

No I don't and still your point is missing the OP's point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

I take it you drive an RS or ST? or maybe a mondeo ST?

The OP is looking for suggestions of cars he can get for 5000-6000

If you've a better suggestion than the focus then leave your comment rather than putting down other suggestions because you're just starting an argument.

************************************************************************************

You could get a passat,vectra,mondeo for that sorta money,maybe even a C4 or something? what about the peugoet 406 coupe? :) does your budget include insurance or is that seperate? :)

EPM wrote: »
    No I don't and still your point is missing the OP's point

The original poster wanted a car for 6K and the cooler the better.

People suggested a Focus and in all fairness they are far from cool in standard form or particularly good value in today's climate.

I didnt post to start an argument but I took a slight exception to a post saying a focus was great to drive.

There are better cars for 6K then a Focus that's my point.

Bonito wrote: »
    I take it you drive an RS or ST? or maybe a mondeo ST?

I dont own a Ford and a suggestion that it could be a Mondeo - I'm highly insulted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

i started driving and bought a 2500 almera 01, it was a nice car really clean no problems. but now im thinking of spending a bit more like 5-6 grand.

any ideas- it needs to be a step up from an almera hatch back! and the cooler the better - any have any thought on nice cars.

ps im not a boy racer so not into that scene
    A little more info might help. "Name all the cool cars for 5-6k that aren't civics/supras/scoobies" is a little broad.

Answering some or all of these might give people a better idea of the sort of motor your after:
    What kind of mileage do you do?
    How insurable are you (age/sex/ncb)?
    Tax/insurance/maintenance budget?
    Any preference for car size/shape?
    Any constraints on car age?
    Any particular cars that are tempting you right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The original poster wanted a car for 6K and the cooler the better.

People suggested a Focus and in all fairness they are far from cool in standard form or particularly good value in today's climate.

I didnt post to start an argument but I took a slight exception to a post saying a focus was great to drive.

There are better cars for 6K then a Focus that's my point.

All your posts have been putting down other peoples suggestions, yet you haven't made any yourself?
    Your posts are only serve to take this thread off topic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement