Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Wicklow Mountains, stormy weather, tomorrow? Thursday 19th

• 18-11-2009 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.
    I'm set to be up in the hills tomorrow for Mountain Skills training.
    I've been keeping an eye on the weather and can see from my limited knowledge that yes, it's going to be a rough one.
    I've been up in hills in some seriously rough weather before but I'm seeing warnings of force 7-9 gales on low levels and am guessing these winds could only be much stronger up higher. Mix that with poor visibility and I could have my hands full.

As far as visibility goes, I'm not worried. I am fully capable to navigate with very low visibility(2-5 meters) but I know strong winds on unstable, steep ground could be a killer and the wind disorientating me could lead me to make bad and potentially deadly decisions.

So my questions is this, can anyone give me a forecast for the area of the mountains around, Luggala/Gravale/Mullaghcleevaun, over to Sorrel Hill, as far north Tonduff and down as far as Camaderry?

A large area, I know but I don't have a route card set out yet.
    That will be more than likely set out tomorrow morning.

So, safe or not?

Thanks in advance lads.
    Cian.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Tommorow will be wet probably all day, especially in the mountains and to add to that, there will be gales or near gales for most of the day at low levels so as for the mountains, consider adding adding at least 1 or 2 beaufort scale forces to that, especially over the tops.!!!

Very seriously consider not going - that's all I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've been thinking of not going up alright.

I'm always complaining about people that know they're taking stupid risks and then need the Mountain Rescue teams to come get them. I don't wont to be a hypocrite.

I had to give up on sailing today, gales were to strong for the gear I would have been using.
    As much as I like to watch what the weather can do... It gets in the bloody way sometimes. :rolleyes: haha

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I was about to add, as you said, think about the people who may have to rescue you!

Winds will be stronger tomorrow than today.

But, if you do decide to go - let us know if you get back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I think with such bad conditions possible tomorrow it would be foolish to set off through the mountains. Whatever about simply being up there in conditions like that, but trying to navigate your way round a route in the mountains with such strong winds and limited visibilty sounds a bit dodgey imo

Advertisement