Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightroom Question re New import

Options
  • 18-11-2009 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Quick/ Possibly silly question

I’ve just picked up two 1TB drives today and have decided to finally organise my photography folders.
    It’s going to be a long task i think, as i have 4 other hard drives ranging for 300 gigs up to 1TB. Now i now that there will be alot of duplications in the folders as i’m always feared that one will crash so i tend to copy the folders to all the drives.

I use Lightroom to organise my photos. There has been a few times when some drives failed and it seems that the “Lightroom 2 Catalog.Ircat” didn't load, resulting in some of the images that i had previously worked on returning to their original raw state instead of the edited version.

Once i have my folders in order from this backup, i will make a copy and leave it on one of the remaining drives. Then i intend to delete the current drive paths in Lightroom and direct it to the new hard drive.

My main concern is - How can i do this without losing the edits i’ve made to my previous collection. Is it just a matter of finding the last saved Lightroom 2 Catalog.Ircat file and opening/loading it up.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

mobileblog wrote: »
    Quick/ Possibly silly question

I’ve just picked up two 1TB drives today and have decided to finally organise my photography folders.
    It’s going to be a long task i think, as i have 4 other hard drives ranging for 300 gigs up to 1TB. Now i now that there will be alot of duplications in the folders as i’m always feared that one will crash so i tend to copy the folders to all the drives.

I use Lightroom to organise my photos. There has been a few times when some drives failed and it seems that the “Lightroom 2 Catalog.Ircat” didn't load, resulting in some of the images that i had previously worked on returning to their original raw state instead of the edited version.

Once i have my folders in order from this backup, i will make a copy and leave it on one of the remaining drives. Then i intend to delete the current drive paths in Lightroom and direct it to the new hard drive.

My main concern is - How can i do this without losing the edits i’ve made to my previous collection. Is it just a matter of finding the last saved Lightroom 2 Catalog.Ircat file and opening/loading it up.

You are not really clear on whether all your photos are in one LR catalog or spread across multiple catalogs. If you have all the photos in one catalog then you can use LR to move the files, all the info is in here.

If you have multiple catalogs then the same principle applies, you just need to close LR and reopen by double clicking on the next catalog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

nilhg wrote: »
    You are not really clear on whether all your photos are in one LR catalog or spread across multiple catalogs. If you have all the photos in one catalog then you can use LR to move the files, all the info is in here.

If you have multiple catalogs then the same principle applies, you just need to close LR and reopen by double clicking on the next catalog.

Yeah it's spread over about 8 catalogs, thanks for the link.

Advertisement