Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented House, bars on bedroom window question

Options
  • 18-11-2009 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I'm renting a house and my son is in the back bedroom. His bedroom window has iron bars (which cannot be opened) on it. I'm just worried that if there was a fire in the house, he would not be able to get out the window. Anyone know the position on this?

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It might be in a grey zone of being something that was done before such things were prohibited.

If you feel it is unsafe you can:

(a) move,
    (b) swop bedrooms,
    (c) ask the landlord to have it changed, e.g. fit a lock and hinges,
    (d) ask the landlord to have it removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The building regs part b deal with this.
    first ask Threshold or the prtb if the fire safety regs apply.
    then ask the landlord
    How
    "adequate means of escape in case of fire from the building to a
    place of safety outside the building, capable of being safely and effectively used" are provided for the house.

the prtb will probably say it's nothing to do with them but if you feel it is unconscionable to live in a house that doesn't meet the building regs for fire protection then your contract may be void. If you want to get out that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lock and key may be best, as they could be there to deter robbery: ask the landlord why they're there. As said, it's gray area, but what sort of area is your son renting in?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It could be a case of that window being vunerable to robbers getting in outweighing the likelihood of a fire in the house.

Perhaps tenants before you requested the bars to be put on for added security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

According to people putting in windows it seems that only one window need have exit possibilities and not every room. Things may have changed but it is likely only applied to new builds and leaving existing properties as they are. I really don't see it as a grey area as being suggested

I think the first response is really the best you can do but as stated fires are a lot less likely than burglary. There are a lot more real dangers about

• Advertisement
Advertisement