Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night shooting tips (foxes, rabbits..etc..)

Options
  • 18-11-2009 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi lads... I am looking for the different ways of calling foxes, best way to lamp them and all that sort of stuff...
    I shoot using a .17HMR.. Got is as my 1st rifle a few weeks ago as an all around rifle... Didnt want to jump staight into a .223 with such little experience but will upgrade in time...
    Im looking for all kinds of advice on shooting rabbits, foxes etc at night and the best callers, effective ranges and yer experience of night shooting.. The best type of ammo to use for the HMR in yer opinions...
    Thanks lads
    Mark...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Not being a smartarse but get confident during day shooting, before attempting night shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

Jonty wrote: »
    Not being a smartarse but get confident during day shooting, before attempting night shooting

couldnt have put it better myself;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Get to know your ground, get to know your rifle. After that get started and learn from your mistakes. Trial and error is often a good way of learning. Personally I find that foxes are a lot more receptive to squeals and prey calls in hard cold weather.
    During mating time ( soon enough now ) a caller with a vixen scream and a dog fox bark tends to work quite well. Always use the wind and the physical features of the land to your advantage. A high hedgerow for example can make your silhouette blend in the background on a clear night, just like a hill or a high cutting bank of a bog can help to blow your smell clean over a fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mark.17hmr

Hi lads thanks for the advice... Ive been out a lot during the day normally between 4 and sunset mabye 2-3 times between Monday and Friday nd head out for the best part of the day on Saturday or Sundy and have yet to see any red fella within a reasonable range even after callin for about 30 mins he just [EMAIL="f@*ks"]f@*ks[/EMAIL] off but maybe that was the wind working against me have got a lot of rabbits... Id head home then and hold off then till maybe 8.30 or 9 and head out for a look and the place would be crawling with them:mad:... That was why i was asking about the night shooting... I have been shooting the lands here since I turned 16 and got my 1st shotgun and know the surroundings very well and where its safe to fire and where not to take the risk...

I dont want to come across as being ignorant or one of these eejits who thinks he knows it all...

Many Thanks again for all the advice lads

Mark....

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Good luck with the night shooting Mark.17hmr.

Most people have their own, personal approach to this subject as individual circumstances are so variable such as choice of gun, ammunition, terrain, time of night/year, vehicles such as jeeps/quads, lamps, batteries, clothing...... etc. etc. etc.

I guess one of the best lessons I've learned is to make sure the fox is dead before one picks him up!! This follows an unlucky incident many years ago when one of our regular foxing crew walked over to a fox which had just been shot and picked him up by the tail to get a good luck at him under the lamp. However, foxie wasn't quite dead yet and sunk his teeth to the bone in the back of my mate's leg and wouldn't let go, locked on just under the knee. My mate fell to the ground, breaking the lamp and thus, leaving us in darkness. Jokingly, we offered to shoot the fox again but I think that made the mate squeal louder than the bite!! We sorted the fox out anyway and my mate still has a limp!! Lesson learned :D.

What lamp are you using at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

First thing is to remember that Charlie knows his territory better that you and he is alway alert, you on the other hand can prob go through some days on auto pilot, so keep quite and use the wind and surrounding features to both drowned out any noise you make and break up you silhouette respectively. i.e. Pick a night that provides you wind an soft footing.

Don't go crazy on the calls and TBH i find the back of the hand works best for me, when Mr fox get near i can use my lips on their own- both hands free!
    And i found that less is more when it come to calling.
    Some time when I'm at a hedge i might have inadvertently rustled the bush but only very very slightly but let me tell you that this caught the full attention of Charlie and he either came in running or sat still on the spot and BANG!

Work different spots for about 5mins or so even more of sharp night! Again limit your calling don't go OTT!

When spotted use the least amount of light possible and try not to shine directly into their eyes. try shining on the ground directly infront of them!

Remember that calls work best during the hard cold weather as Meathsteve already mentioned. This is purely down to the fact these are leaner times and thats foxes are have difficulty sourcing food.
    Smelly old rabbits guts and the like can draw in any downwind foxes but for better results buy some Thai Fish Sauce and drench a small piece of cloth and hang this on a stick place near the bait keep it up in the moving breeze.

Also keep calm when you get the first lad with that hmr (use silencer) because contrary to the info supplied in the Garda guild line, foxes do often arrive in pairs especially in early winter and the calm hunter can often bag two in as many minutes.

NV is great for spotting with the correct illumination, I use a cheap NV mono and an IR filter light force- can spot eye shine at 400plus on Charlie-wish i could shot that good.

One thing more. Don't destroy your local fox population because they provide you with good sport!
    Also try to leave a few rabbits alive with that killer 17hmr- they are nice to look at and TBH when you are out lamping its very dis-hearting to shine a light around a field and find it completely void of animals -so keep a few rabbits even if it just allows you to check how good your night time set up is.
    Also try and be ethical in the time of year you choose in which to shoot foxes and rabbits.

regards Ivan

PS I wont say welcome but i will say its nice to meet you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

If you ever find yourself in a situation where there`s two foxes in a field,, one comes in and you dispatch it! keep calling, the other is sure to follow!!! but if the first fox is cautious and keeps his distance, eventualy getting around you out of range, so`s he can pick up your sent!! then stop calling!!! slowely move over close to the gap or tree where the fox passed and start calling again. The second fox will take the same path as the first, works every time!!! I even had occasions when the first fox started barking, worning his mate that there was something up! the second fox will still take the same path!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I have yet to use this method but try boiling up some horses hoof, got from the farrier, and leave outside in a covered top bucket for a couple of months better in the summer when the mixture gets to go off more in the heat.
    Use a flower sprayer to spray about or put onto a cloth and hang up in the breeze. Do not get any on yourself as it stinks.
    If you have seen how dogs love to eat the hoofs bits then you can see how this trick will work well.

If 2 foxes come to you hit the far one first. The whack of the bullet hiting the fox will confuse the nearer fox into thinking that the danger is behind it, even though it hears the gun fire from the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

clivej wrote: »
    If 2 foxes come to you hit the far one first. The whack of the bullet hiting the fox will confuse the nearer fox into thinking that the danger is behind it, even though it hears the gun fire from the front.

Absolutely agree.

I'm not a believer in the horse hoof stuff. I haven't tried it but I've read about those who have, no foxes shot as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I have yet to use this method but try boiling up some horses hoof, got from the farrier, and leave outside in a covered top bucket for a couple of months better in the summer when the mixture gets to go off more in the heat.
    Use a flower sprayer to spray about or put onto a cloth and hang up in the breeze. Do not get any on yourself as it stinks.
    If you have seen how dogs love to eat the hoofs bits then you can see how this trick will work well.

Thats digusting Clive. I've often been with the farrier at home and fresh hoof is ripe enough, thank you very much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Scout the ground you intend to lamp during the day, this will let you see whats about in the line of buildings and livestock, it will pay dividends if you have a rangefinder and range diatances of fields and so forth as well as this will cut out guesswork at night and give you much more confidence in your shooting. Organise your team mate if you have one about what the protocol is when you call up a fox, and make sure the lamp is directly over the scope to give a clear sight picture without undue error!.
    And lastly remember the golden rule " if in doubt dont shoot!":eek:-take no risks at night, the fox will be there for another time.;)

Just on the "two (and more!)foxes at one time" issue.- It seems to me if i remember correctly that on nearly all occasions when i spotted two foxes in close proximity to each other it was either a very still and quite night or i was either very close to their earth or den!
    Does this sort of behavior strike a bell with anyone else?

Just on the "two (and more!)foxes at one time" issue.- It seems to me if i remember correctly that on nearly all occasions when i spotted two foxes in close proximity to each other it was either a very still and quite night or i was either very close to their earth or den!
    Does this sort of behavior strike a bell with anyone else?

mostly when we spot two ivan, its either biggish cubs that arent properly gone on their own yet or pairs at xmas when they breed , we shot a pair on monday night past that were close to heavy cover, so your theory may have something too it, most ive had come in at once was 4:eek:-2 pairs from different directions, managed to knock off the first pair, but the second pair got wise:D

Seen five in a field one night, there were rabbits a go go down there. I was lamping, mate got three and unfortunately winged the fourth which we could not find with the shotgun in the rushes.

Seen six in a 20 acre field of ewes and lambs during my first week ever out lamping with a mate and his shotgun. Think we got two that night but we picked and choose which ones due to the limitations we were under at the time.

I've seen them in two's the odd time, mostly on still nights as Ivan has said but I shot a pair with the .223 on a very windy night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Jonty wrote: »
    Thats digusting Clive. I've often been with the farrier at home and fresh hoof is ripe enough, thank you very much

I forgot to add try putting some rabbit guts in the bucket as well for good measure. And as you use it up top it off with some more water. You should be able ot keep it going for years. :rolleyes:

mostly when we spot two ivan, its either biggish cubs that arent properly gone on their own yet or pairs at xmas when they breed , we shot a pair on monday night past that were close to heavy cover, so your theory may have something too it, most ive had come in at once was 4:eek:-2 pairs from different directions, managed to knock off the first pair, but the second pair got wise:D
    Yes
    It seems that the still damp nights before the onset of frosty ground conditions seems to increase the chance of seeing pairs- Now i know what young cubs look like but some pairs might be breeding pairs as you suggested but I wonder if they are implementing some strategy that works toward a more successful hunt under such conditions

Anyway its a nice thought! I'd hate to know that i knew it all:D I have no interests:P

johngalway wrote: »
    Seen six in a 20 acre field of ewes and lambs during my first week ever out lamping with a mate and his shotgun. .

i bet you that was the last time you ever seen six in and around your little "tasty" lambs;)

The most i ever seen was four in one field- only one was interested in a close look at a 22lr so I delivered a 30yard speech about firearm safety!:D
    The others just sat there like children but at 100 yards they were out to far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Is it too early for them to start pairing off?
    A farmer down the road shot one out of two the other morning, a big dogfox. He reckons the other was a vixen.

i bet you that was the last time you ever seen six in and around your little "tasty" lambs;)

It certainly was, we got 13 foxes with an old side by side that week, two each night save one, in quite a small area. It was some introduction to lamping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

We have found when lamping when you have one fox looking at you but not responding to any calls, just sitting there for a few minutes and then running away it can be a very good idea to lamp behind you too, there can often be another fox coming up behind you, got one like that last week!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 mark.17hmr

Hi all... Thanks for all the advice its great.... At the moment I have a lightforce 170 or 140 not totally sure...

Great light really happy with it super range with it...

I dont think that ill go with the horse hoof.... The small bro wud prob mix it up with sumthin... think its a fetch toy for the dog r sumthin:D....The dog at home is not too keen on hunting she too big and a pure house pet with all the smallies here..any time she sees the guns she gone like a rocket for indoors...

When using that Thai Fish sauce do i need to leave food with it or how do i use it:confused:... Cant see myself heading out over the next few days... Id need a boat here to go shooting at the moment ;).. Bandon Area Co.Cork..

Just another question... What are the ideal conditions and best times of the year to get foxes...

Once again thanks lads.. Fantastic advice from all of ye.... Fair play..

Mark..

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Is it too early for them to start pairing off?
    A farmer down the road shot one out of two the other morning, a big dogfox. He reckons the other was a vixen.

Im seeing pairs now dusty but its usually around x mas they pair off, they mate mid january and throw pups 51-53 days later, however theres nothing too specific in the animal kingdom.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Careful if using that Thai Fish sauce as a scent lure with all the flooding in your area Mark.17hmr, goodness knows what could come out of the water for it!!!
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tom Donnavan

Smelly old rabbits guts and the like can draw in any downwind foxes but for better results buy some Thai Fish Sauce and drench a small piece of cloth and hang this on a stick place near the bait keep it up in the moving breeze.

Very interesting there Ivan about the bait. Would you or anyone there have any experience of what would lure in some stray cats?

Catnip (Nepeta cataria) and Valerian (Valeriana officinalis).
    Two Plants that work well in live catch traps

I don't actual go out to catch or kill feral cats however I have come across them in the field and tbh a simple squeak seem to ring their dinner bell!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tom Donnavan

Catnip (Nepeta cataria) and Valerian (Valeriana officinalis).
    Two Plants that work well in live catch traps

I don't actual go out to catch or kill feral cats however I have come across them in the field and tbh a simple squeak seem to ring their dinner bell!:rolleyes:

Thanks Ivan. Now off to google those two plants

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Excellent advice from all the lads especially from ivan.

My advice based on a lot of experience with a hmr is to avoid the 20grain bullets for it they dont expand great at all the 17gr balistic tips even though a lot more fragile seem too kill a lot better,and keep the distance below 100yrds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Anyone ever made a hat out of the foxes they have shot? Even keep the hide?

Thai fish sauce eh, I'm going to have to look for that in the morning :)

• Advertisement

Valmont wrote: »
    Anyone ever made a hat out of the foxes they have shot? Even keep the hide?

Not as yet. There was one particular fox I would have loved to have done the hide, but unfortunately he was in no condition for it, amazing shade of red!

Advertisement