Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break Ins

• 18-11-2009 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I hear there has been a lot of break in out the Dunmore Road way. Has me worried, what is the general consensus on what should be done if you hear em downstairs, for example - should you sit tight and hope for the best or....

On the second option is it advisable to have a weapon in the bedroom etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you hear a break in make sure you have your phone, lock your bedroom door. Phone the cops and let the intruders know you have done so. Most burglars are chancers who don't seek a messy confrontation and will scarper from the cops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Kick the s**t out of them (anywhere upstairs downstairs anywhere anywhere ) just make sure you drag the body into the bedroom when finished !!!!!!

Garda ,, I was fast asleep when...............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Kick the s**t out of them (anywhere upstairs downstairs anywhere anywhere ) just make sure you drag the body into the bedroom when finished !!!!!!

Proper order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

ROCKMAN wrote: »

Deffo, knock the balls of em!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

did you know this!

if you are tucked up in bed at night and you hear someone downstairs and you go down and confront them and give them a slap or whatever and they sustain an injury they can actually sue you for injury on your premises despite them being an intruder. However if you are tucked up in bed and they come upstairs then you can defend yourself and give them a whack! crazy isnt it! one would think that once they step inside your house that they are at fault! but it can backfire!

but yeah id be making a load of racket and just let them know you know they are there!!

get a dog!

People please don't have this kind of mentality. If someone breaks into your house and you kill them there is not a court in the land that will convict you. Legally you are allowed to use reasonable force to defend yourself, your family, friends and property and what is reasonable depends on the circumstanes. Nally shot someone in the back as he was walking away from him and he got away scot free. I know what I would do if someone broke into my house and I wouldn't have a moment's hesitation in doing it, and the law will certainly not punish me, or anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I've heard that the crowd doing these robberies are looking for car keys so you'd probably be grand just staying upstairs. Best to just lock the door and phone the cops; I've seen them on patrol out this way a couple of times over the last few nights so I don't think you'd be waiting too long for a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Its dat time of the year for it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

We had loads of robberies up our way (Ferrybank) this time last year. Some scumbags threatened a neighbour with a knife from his own kitchen when he went downstairs - he thought it was the wife - they then stole his grankids christmas presents. People like this deserve to die, we actually found out who did it but the great Gardai had no concrete proof, I was behind one of the thieves in the post office collecting his dole last week.......Isn't Ireland great??

If anyone came into my house they wouldn't leave it alive - I have a shovel and a huge boot in my car - and a big fcuk off serial killer knife, night vision camera and a wooden bat under the bed. No one will miss you. Seriously though I was very freaked out by the neighbours being robbed that I had to take these measures and I'm young, imagine an elderly person living alone, these people are vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

If anyone came into my house they wouldn't leave it alive - I have a shovel and a huge boot in my car - and a big fcuk off serial killer knife, night vision camera and a wooden bat under the bed. No one will miss you. Seriously though I was very freaked out by the neighbours being robbed that I had to take these measures and I'm young, imagine an elderly person living alone, these people are vermin.

haha i always keep a hurley in my bedroom i swear id paint it offa anyones face trying to rob my house or hurt my family and i wouldnt hesitate in doing your idea either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Three words of advice that seem to ring true:
    1. Don't produce a weapon unless you are willing to use it.
    2. If you're going to shoot people make sure you kill them so they can't whine in court.
    3. The second shot goes into the ground, that's the warning shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

4. Throw the body out onto the footpath so it's not on your premises

... read that many years ago in a Tom Sharpe novel :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I read that they're also targeting family homes at school collection time.

It's bad enough that they break in and rob people but to viciously assault people particularly the elderly is just inexcusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

merlante wrote: »
    3. The second shot goes into the ground, that's the warning shot!

Thats the best bit of advice I've seen on boards in a good while!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Simple answer, 2 barrell ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I keep all my downstairs doors locked at night. If they get in the back door, they can have the kettle! If they make it upstairs, I have a metal 1-wood beside me...though I'd probably slice the fcukers into the wall rather than straight back down the stairs. Maybe I should get the trusty 3-wood instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I am not the violent type and would shy away from all those proposed responses - seriously who wants to fight one or two thiefs who could be carrying any form of weapon.

I was thinking of buying a sword in Funk It as I dont think many would come upstairs if I was there holding a sword.

Alternatively would get my son and lock the bedroom door as someone suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

....we actually found out who did it but the great Gardai had no concrete proof, I was behind one of the thieves in the post office collecting his dole last week.......Isn't Ireland great??
    I hate that ****. Cops should be allowed to raid a house of a known thief if they get permission from a senior. Whatever happened the momentum behind Dermot Ahern reform of laws when someone breaks into your house.
    Do we have to wait till there is another high profile media news report of breakins before we hear more about it?

Here is my 2 cents towards home security:
    1. Get a bloody house alarm and use the damn thing, so many houses dont have one. If possible turn on downstairs alarm before going to bed. Any houses around me that have been broken into all had no alarms. If you have a house alarm and don't turn it on and you get broken into if you are no there you could possible void any insurance claims.
    2. Check all doors before going to bed.
    3. Lock the front, back and patio doors even if you are in the house.
    4. Lock doorstairs rooms and leave key in the outside of door (for fire exit reasons)
    5. Check windows before going to bed.
    6. Say hello to your neighbours, having neighbours who know you will help deter crime and also lookout for your house. Leave your nnumber with the neighbours and tell them to ring you anytime they see anything suspicious around your house even if they think it is minor.
    7. Hide valuables in your car (boot or glove compartment). Out of sight of out mind. Less attractive target.
    8. For extra feeling of security get a panic button in your room. Press it if there is burgulars downstairs. Wake up the whole street, maybe someone will see theives leaving your house and get a description for the gardai.
    9. Leave on upstairs hall light if away at night time. Get timer plug for your bedroom to come on during intervals at night if you are away.
    10. Report suspicious activities in your estate. The gardai will be delighted with public reports even if you think it is minor. It helps them build up profile activity of what is going on in your estate. You may not be the only one who reported this minor thing and it will help the cops to be proactive. Dodgy van, odd characters around your estate. i.e. Someone delivering pamphlets but has a good gawk in your windows or tries opening the front doors are all worth reporting. If it turns out to be false no harm is done.

If anyone wants to add more please do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

mozattack wrote: »
    I am not the violent type and would shy away from all those proposed responses - seriously who wants to fight one or two thiefs who could be carrying any form of weapon.

I was thinking of buying a sword in Funk It as I dont think many would come upstairs if I was there holding a sword.

Alternatively would get my son and lock the bedroom door as someone suggested.
    I wouldn't be a big fan of sharp or dangerous weapons. What if your son plays with it when you are not around?
    Or even worst he brings it outside to show off to his friend and one of them gets hurt.
    A hurl under the bed might be better solution.

a sword in an enclosed space is never a winner. You know the story, all you'll end up doing is chopping the tops off all your candles while swinging it around :D
    the ACME Pocket Flame Thrower is the weapon of choice in these situations

Clano wrote: »
    haha i always keep a hurley in my bedroom i swear id paint it offa anyones face trying to rob my house or hurt my family and i wouldnt hesitate in doing your idea either.

lol paint it of their face, brilliant!!! My mam has a rolling pin under hers and if I was a thief and saw it coming I'd need clean pants, its feckin huge and she's a great aim :D

I do agree with not having sharp objects near the kiddies though, I did have a long hard think about it and after the houses on both sides of me were burgled I felt it was necessary. Scary to have to make that decision.

Baronfly very good advice, cheers.

old gregg also excellent advice: "Throw the body out onto the footpath so it's not on your premises" but also make sure you kill them from the front and not the back so if you are caught it was self defence. :cool:

• Advertisement

old gregg wrote: »
    a sword in an enclosed space is never a winner. You know the story, all you'll end up doing is chopping the tops off all your candles while swinging it around :D
    the ACME Pocket Flame Thrower is the weapon of choice in these situations

Just found this for those without space for a trusty mutt, those Americans know about protection!!
    http://www.cbgsafetyproducts.com/electronicwatchdog.htm

Just found this for those without space for a trusty mutt, those Americans know about protection!!
    http://www.cbgsafetyproducts.com/electronicwatchdog.htm
    love this, also with rain forest sounds :p

anyone remember Garry Larson's Dobie-o-matic?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

The music shop owner in ennis who had a problem with pissheads urinating in the letter box solved his problem by connecting electricity to his letterbox or something like that! I suggested to the wife about doing something similar. I wanted to connect 220volts to the outside handles of the doors and windows. Switch them on when going to bed and if any one in the middle of the nite tried to break in the would have a burning smell of themselves for a few days. Anyone know a good electrician looking for a nixer:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Golf clubs and hurleys are too big... you wouldnt get the room to swing it... you need something small... like the extendable baton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭placard

here's a quote from an article in the indo

"Out of a total of 99,799 reported or recorded burglaries between 2003 and 2006 there were only 7,985 recorded convictions, or just 8 per cent of cases."

shocking statistics!!

I had the unfortunate experience of my home being burgled and the guards did nothing about it. They simply looked around my home and asked what was taken and said all they could do was wait to see if any of the stolen items turned up. Not a very proactive approach.

here's a link to the full article:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-massaging-crime-statistics-for-years-new-cso-report-shows-1360452.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

placard wrote: »
    here's a quote from an article in the indo

"Out of a total of 99,799 reported or recorded burglaries between 2003 and 2006 there were only 7,985 recorded convictions, or just 8 per cent of cases."

shocking statistics!!

I had the unfortunate experience of my home being burgled and the guards did nothing about it. They simply looked around my home and asked what was taken and said all they could do was wait to see if any of the stolen items turned up. Not a very proactive approach.

here's a link to the full article:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-massaging-crime-statistics-for-years-new-cso-report-shows-1360452.html

ah sure their too busy carting crates of water around the place and giving them to the elderly (as seen on 6-1 news this evening)

WTF - is this what we are paying our taxes for so our Gardai are highly paid couriers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

The guards will do sweet FA if yer house is robbed.

If your unfortunate enough to be there if it happens be prepared have a baseball bat or such to hand, No wonder so mant people are after gun licences. If I could get one Id blow the head off any cnut that comes in me house uninvited.

Even if you know who done it the guards will do fcuk all so if ya can get a few nice slaps in on the cnut great go for it leather the bolxi, Id knee caps the bastids if I could get near em.

So many bastids on the rob now ya need to be ready for the cnuts Id wrap their fckun balls around their neck the fcukn rotten cnuts!

Advertisement