Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarm

• 18-11-2009 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Anyone have any recommendations for a company to instal a house alarm etc etc or have any idea what kinda price we are looking at?

Alarm would be for a 3 bed semi....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

D F S in Tramore used them myself found them good and reliable and know their product. price depends on what you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

Got quote of about 750 from JEC plus 1 year monitoring. Also option of text dialler for about 100. This texts you when the alarm goes off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Waynecarr wrote: »
    Got quote of about 750 from JEC plus 1 year monitoring. Also option of text dialler for about 100. This texts you when the alarm goes off

that sounds like a very good deal.

Anyone know someone to take a look at a prob with a house alarm? Goes off by itself at night randomly. jec want 150 euro just a call out fee before even looking at the problem!!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Waynecarr wrote: »

Very good price that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Today 10:17Drew Repulsive ViolistAnyone know someone to take a look at a prob with a house alarm? Goes off by itself at night randomly. jec want 150 euro just a call out fee before even looking at the problem!!

Today 10:17Drew Repulsive ViolistAnyone know someone to take a look at a prob with a house alarm? Goes off by itself at night randomly. jec want 150 euro just a call out fee before even looking at the problem!!

Who installed it? I have the same problem with my alarm. Doing my head in. Gone off nearly ten times for no reason since Xmas.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Having worked alongside JEC on several major project's in waterford,i can say they are about the best in the country,they are prompt,fast and exstremely neat,i also used them on my own house,which i designed myself,i.e. just did all windows,front and back door's so at night i can turn on the alarm but still move about the house ,relax knowing if anyone tries any of the windows or door's,a very bright strobe and loud siren let's me know,also put a dummy bell box on the back with the real bell box out front and very high.hope this might give you some ideas.lynchwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

[quote=[Deleted User];66688555]Anyone know someone to take a look at a prob with a house alarm? Goes off by itself at night randomly. jec want 150 euro just a call out fee before even looking at the problem!![/QUOTE]

probably one of the wires loose at one of the connections , trace the wire all the way through as much as possible and ya'll probably find the fault, then a lot of the times its just redoing the connection
    do that before ya call anyone in
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

The LED display on your key pad should,1)tell you which zone the fault is in
    2)which sensor in that zone is faulty.The most common cause of this particular problem is a faulty sensor that will go off at everyday noises i.e traffic passing or a door slamming which would not normaly set off alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i hope you aint connected to a monitoring centre as its probably costing you a fortune everytime it goes off!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

[quote=[Deleted User];66688555]Anyone know someone to take a look at a prob with a house alarm? Goes off by itself at night randomly. jec want 150 euro just a call out fee before even looking at the problem!![/QUOTE]

Was that you in Cherrymount last night and this morning? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

When we had a problem with our alarm going off , it was caused by cobwebs in front of the motion sensor .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Adyx wrote: »
    Was that you in Cherrymount last night and this morning? :mad:

That really pissed me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

As already mentioned , cobwebs in front of a motion sensor can cause false alarms.
    But spiders or insects getting inside the sensor can also set them off.

If you have motion sensors , you should be able to identify exactly which one is giving you problems (if the alarm is less than 15 years old....there should be only one motion sensor attached to each alarm zone).
    Make sure its clear of dust cobwebs etc...that its well clear of any draughts/heat sources....and there's nothing hanging in front of it(like bits of old Christmas decorations)

If you open the sensor ,the internal siren will go off and you'll need you code to silence it.You can check the connections are ok and clean out any dirt , but its very important not to touch the infra red sensor...or you'll ruin it.

If you dont have motion sensors , but have reed switches and vibration sensors on your windows and doors....then call JEC.....Over time connections to window sensors can corrode due to condensation build up...unless you have a digital multimeter and some experience of electrical fault finding...ye won't have much hope of finding the problem.
    Best advice for window vibration sensors , is to go around to each one and bang 'em .....give them a right good rattle...this will loosen up any that have sticky internal connections.

Another problem with Alarm systems is the back up battery in the main control panel (not to be confused with your keypad....but on some older systems there are one in the same).
    The alarm system is designed to cope with and ignore short interruptions in the ESB supply.....but if you have a faulty back up battery , the alarm
    will go off at the slightest blip in supply......the batteries themselves are not that expensive...but could be hard to get.....awkard to replace....and if you make a mistake changing it you could fry you control panel (or electrocute yerself)....in which case JEC would be looking for a lot more than 150euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

yup have to agree with most here and recommend JEC. Ive found there work faultless. Even if they may come in slightly more expensive than others, the job is done properly and will save you money in the long run.

edit: just realised how old this thread is. doh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

yeah. plus 1 to most of the other posts. when calling jec, talk to carmel. shes a legend and will do her utmost best for you regarding ur alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Keea

I'll throw Safeguide Security into the mix. I have a house alarm from there and no problems with it. Not sure what cost is to install now. Best to shop around though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

Pat Malone 0872286047 in Avondale does a good alarm, that calls your mobile phone and 2 others if the alarm goes off with no monitoring fee's. worth getting a quote off anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Anyone hear of them or if they are gone out of business.

I thought Jec alarms only did commercial premises. Seems that way going by their website. http://www.jecsecurity.com/

Advertisement