Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iceland - Finglas

Options
  • 18-11-2009 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hey just noticed that the Iceland in Finglas village has re-opened.

Has anyone been in yet is the rip-off that the ballyfermot one turned out to be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's exactly the same as the one in Ballyfermot. Think they're owned by the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

yeah, it's a franchise for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

Got a leaflet in the door for the Finglas branch today - all party food - €3 or 3 for €7. 9 x Mini Pizza, chicken goujons, mini quicke, mini cheesecakes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gwame

Boom Boom wrote: »
    Hey just noticed that the Iceland in Finglas village has re-opened.

Has anyone been in yet is the rip-off that the ballyfermot one turned out to be?
    Rip-off? It's quite cheap there in Ballyfermot actually. People assume that because the £1 prices become €1.50, that it's unfair. Remember that the food has to be shipped from the UK which incurs additional costs and sometimes taxes for desserts. In addition to that, the cost of living in Ireland is higher. If you actually do your full week's shopping at Iceland in Ballyfermot, and compare to what you would've spend in other supermarkets, you'll find that you saved a decent bit of cash on both frozen and grocery goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

apparently kerry katona is working there

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Horrible muck that food is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 you_cabbage

Gwame wrote: »
    Rip-off? It's quite cheap there in Ballyfermot actually. People assume that because the £1 prices become €1.50, that it's unfair. Remember that the food has to be shipped from the UK which incurs additional costs and sometimes taxes for desserts. In addition to that, the cost of living in Ireland is higher. If you actually do your full week's shopping at Iceland in Ballyfermot, and compare to what you would've spend in other supermarkets, you'll find that you saved a decent bit of cash on both frozen and grocery goods.

Someone with a balanced view on how retail actually operates when importing goods from the UK and abroad! Fair Play!
    I always use the example of LIDL and Aldi in Germany, where the prices are, and this is only an estimate about 30% cheaper than in Ireland, why is this? Ireland is an expensive place to both live and do business. And that is the unfortunate reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Remember that the food has to be shipped from the UK which incurs additional costs and sometimes taxes for desserts. In addition to that, the cost of living in Ireland is higher.
    The shipping argument doesn't hold up, the same trucks are delivering it here as up north where it's cheaper.

Currency conversion, plus franchising costs. The two RoI stores are franchised whereas up North it's the actual company.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

jdivision wrote: »
    The shipping argument doesn't hold up, the same trucks are delivering it here as up north where it's cheaper.

And how are they getting down to Dublin? By running on fresh air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

They really should open up in Dublin city centre or a popular shopping centre. That way anyone would be able to have a peep in. Ballyfermot and Finglas are out of reach for most people.

Lifelike wrote: »
    They really should open up in Dublin city centre or a popular shopping centre. That way anyone would be able to have a peep in. Ballyfermot and Finglas are out of reach for most people.
    Yeah I suppose. The thing is, these 2 stores are technically re-opened, since they're in the same place the old ones were, cos that's obviously cheaper. Besides, the 2 there now are owned by the same people, and I doubt they're gonna want another one any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Did they not open one up in Thomas St. at start of decade near where LIDL is? Oposite Frawleys?
    Or did that shut-down?
    I'd a brother who worked there.

Did they not open one up in Thomas St. at start of decade near where LIDL is? Oposite Frawleys?
    Or did that shut-down?
    Iceland closed all Irish stores in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Iceland food may be relatively cheap and cheerful, but any kids fed it on a daily basis have a one way ticket to destination obesity. Healthy it is not and it's aimed at those who aren't bothered or able to prepare their own food other than bunging frozen chips and mini pizzas in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

the franchised is owned by the same fellow that has the 321 shops in town, trade cash and carry, aim cash and carry and some other electrical name,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Someone with a balanced view on how retail actually operates when importing goods from the UK and abroad! Fair Play! !

TBH I wouldnt care if they had the prices as £1 or €5 if €5 is a reasonable price for what I'm lookign to buy it doesnt bother me what they sell it for elsewhere.

I like a good trip to Iceland, few nice things that I wasnt able to get when they were gone.

Degsy, how is the food any different to when the same stuff is being sold in Tesco or any other supermarket?They sell thinsg like Coke and Goodfellas pizza.

Or did that shut-down?

There was one on Talbot street or North Earl street or somecuch before.

dbyrne wrote: »
    the franchised is owned by the same fellow that has the 321 shops in town, trade cash and carry, aim cash and carry and some other electrical name,
    The same guy owns them all technically, since he financed them, but he doesn't actually run them.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

The same guy owns them all technically, since he financed them, but he doesn't actually run them.

thats the reason you have managers in stores, so that the store owners can do other things or run other businesses. The fellow that owns/part owns BWG has over 100 spars, he "technically" owns them but doesnt run them..... but its his money on the table and its his headache when something goes wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Lifelike wrote: »

Apart from the 100,000 people or so that the areas arent out of reach for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 FireyFaierie

I know this thread is a long time ago but presume you all know that Iceland has opened in the Ilac now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

I know this thread is a long time ago but presume you all know that Iceland has opened in the Ilac now. :)

Is it where Dunnes was?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 FireyFaierie

Yes and it's got a sister store called Home Savers - great store - big - with lots of household bargain stuff - TV's and all - and pet stuff and even garden stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Yes and it's got a sister store called Home Savers - great store - big - with lots of household bargain stuff - TV's and all - and pet stuff and even garden stuff.

If I wanted to get a job promoting the Ilac centre in some sort of online capacity who would I contact about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 caoimh38

Does anyone know what time Iceland in Finglas is open until on Friday nights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Try the F a g g ots s they are delish

Advertisement