Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent negotiable??

Options
  • 18-11-2009 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

So I'm looking at 2 bed apts with a friend at the moment... is the rent negotiable or is the price advertised set in stone would you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Definitely negotiable. Although this doesn't mean that some landlords are not complete assholes and won't give you a second look cause you dared ask.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Very negotiable. Its taking increasing lengths of time to find tenants these days- most landlords would rather accept a lower rent and get a good tenant, than leave a place vacant. It really is a case of- if you don't ask, you won't get it though.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Friend got a huge reduction from 1200 to 950.
    -admittedly though, she originally offered 1000pm.
    landlord refused but called back couple of weeks later to say he would rent at the 1000.
    so my friend dropped to 950!!
    that was two months ago so I imagine things have gotten worse for landlords now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

meglome wrote: »
    Definitely negotiable. Although this doesn't mean that some landlords are not complete assholes and won't give you a second look cause you dared ask.

Sorry just to add to this. I saw an apartment in Temple Bar on daft for 1500 which was easily 300-400 overpriced. I asked to view it and mentioned politely it was overpriced given the other places I saw in the area. The reply I received was "Let's not waste each others time". It was still on daft a month later and at a lower price, funny he didn't come back to me.

One of the many wonderful responses I received over the two months I looked for the right apartment. I got an apartment in the same block for 1100 in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Defo negotiable;

Im looking in drumcondra ATM and am looking at 2 places, the first was listed at 900 then was dropped a couple of times to 600. I offered 450 and wasnt laughed out of the place (im waiting for him to call me back) the second is a place in drumcondra originally 750 which I could have for 550. Depending on what the first chap says

Moral of the long story - always negotiate!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Haggle like a cattle dealer

14 months ago our two bed was going for 1050 per month.
    Come renewal time we asked the landlord for a rent reduction, were politly told no and didn't I realise they were under financial pressure. Like I care :rolleyes:
    Cool, here's our notice

With one week to go we got a call offering 900 and we accepted on a month by month basis, we're weren't going to sign a new lease. Mainly to interia and it was the going rate. Plus we had nothing organized!

However rents have dropped even further since September and now the similar apartments in the estate are 775-800. I'm sure we could haggle down again after Christmas, lots of empties in this estate.
    I didn't break any contracts, served the 12 month lease. All I ask if the landlord matches the neighbours and can give the going rate

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Certainly haggle; it's implied in the asking prices these days. I noticed that rents collapsed in our estate early this year (2-beds went from 1300 to 1000-1100 asking) but then, a surprise average increase in the asking (1200-1100) crept in around June as the landlords figured out that all prospective tenants are assuming rents are negotiable and were setting asking prices to take this on board.

A letting agent makes life a little more complicated - most won't consider month-to-month arrangements and insist on a lease. This is another point to haggle on - if rents are continuously decreasing, then surely allowance must be made for this in the monthly rent if you are locked into a 12-month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭LordDorington

Hi

Looking for some advice

Our rent is supposed to be 1100 a month (thats whats in the contract) however we find it easier to pay weekly as this is how we are paid ourselves - so it works out at 253.86 a week. Our landlord has now said that because we are paying by the week, he wants 260 a week to "cover the extra bank charges incurred by us lodging the money weekly instead of monthly" - is is really possible that he has to pay an extra €30 per month in bank fees because there are three extra transactions going into his account?

I suspect he is pulling a fast one but my partner is happy to pay it blindly and now we are coming to blows over it.

it sthe principle of it, I HATE feeling like I am being ripped off or that someone is taking the proverbial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Hi

Looking for some advice

Our rent is supposed to be 1100 a month (thats whats in the contract) however we find it easier to pay weekly as this is how we are paid ourselves - so it works out at 253.86 a week. Our landlord has now said that because we are paying by the week, he wants 260 a week to "cover the extra bank charges incurred by us lodging the money weekly instead of monthly" - is is really possible that he has to pay an extra €30 per month in bank fees because there are three extra transactions going into his account?

I suspect he is pulling a fast one but my partner is happy to pay it blindly and now we are coming to blows over it.

it sthe principle of it, I HATE feeling like I am being ripped off or that someone is taking the proverbial.

To avoid these "Bank charges"(yeah right, pull the other one) just save the rent each week and have it go in on a nominated day each month.

my self and my other half have a separate joint account for rent and bills, saves a lot of hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭LordDorington

hobochris wrote: »
    To avoid these "Bank charges"(yeah right, pull the other one) just save the rent each week and have it go in on a nominated day each month.

my self and my other half have a separate joint account for rent and bills, saves a lot of hassle.

Yeah I thought of that before, we are just so disorganised with our money its unreal! :D I might see if I can set up an account with my exixting bank (do they let people open two diff current accounts?) and maybe do it that way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement