Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalities

Options
  • 18-11-2009 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondeirng what the legalities are for guns that are capable of firing above the 1 joule limit. If a replica fires over 1 joule, it's illegal and considered technically a firearm.

Gas powered devices are often capable of firing over a joule by using a stronger gas, although in some cases it will destroy the internals. I'm just wondering how legal it is to own an airsoft device that is capable of firing over a joule? I ask because one of the pistols I'm looking at buying fires under a joule if used with 134a, but over if green gas or CO2 is used. I think GBB Rifles are in a similar situation.

I'm just curious as to whether this is allowed, or if it's a straight no. I'd assume it's allowed, but at the same time it's safe to assume that it's not allowed for it relies on the "But I promise I'll only use it with this gas"

Thanks in Advanced!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

I would say its legal as long as you use it legally.
    Any AEG can fire over 1J if you put a stronger spring in it, and most standard GBB's will run over 1J if you put CO2 in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Cheers for that Andy.

I was just wondering cause I figured it was similar to people using velocity reducers on AEGs, changing the weights of BBs til it was under etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Its a matter of what its designed to use i suppose. Technically speaking, all airsoft guns are "capable" of firing over 1 joule, its just a case of what you have to do to get it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Inari wrote: »
    Cheers for that Andy.

I was just wondering cause I figured it was similar to people using velocity reducers on AEGs, changing the weights of BBs til it was under etc

Cahnging the weight of the BB means nothing, it's still over the limit. One thing that should be asked by who ever is chronoing guns at a site is "what weight are the BB's?" or they should use a mag that they know is full of .2g bb's.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Cahnging the weight of the BB means nothing, it's still over the limit. One thing that should be asked by who ever is chronoing guns at a site is "what weight are the BB's?" or they should use a mag that they know is full of .2g bb's.

That shouldnt be a question, but a standard site's only using there own .20 at the chrono most do , some dont instead ask are you using .20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

so lets clear this up .even if i had an aeg shooting under i joule with 3g bbs its still illegal?am i right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

damagegt wrote: »
    so lets clear this up .even if i had an aeg shooting under i joule with 3g bbs its still illegal?am i right?

No, It must be firing at 1 joule or less while firing with a 0.20 g 6mm BB's. 0.20 g bb being the norm for best practice testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Sure your not confusing FPS with Power?
    Just because it fires under 328fps does not make it legal.
    If using a real heavy bb it will fire under 328fps but could be well over 1j of power.

If its fireing with a Power of 1j and your using bbs weighing 3 grams then
    your fps would be 85fps. or if you ment 0.3grams BBs then it would be 268 fps.

Give this site a go it will do the maths for you:
    http://www.cimmerians.com/FPS_Converter.html?action=fps

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

0.20g - 328fps - 1 joule
    0.23g - 306fps - 1 joule
    0.25g - 294fps - 1 joule
    0.28g - 278fps - 1 joule
    0.30g - 268fps - 1 joule
    0.33g - 256fps - 1 joule

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

No, It must be firing at 1 joule or less while firing with a 0.20 g 6mm BB's. 0.20 g bb being the norm for best practice testing.

It doesnt have to be a 6mm BB,

theres no such mention in the law, which only refers to the muzzle energy of the gun. The fps/velocity/weight is a calculation made by airsofters and isn't mentioned in said law. :)

So in theory, it can be a 10mm BB, as long as its "muzzle energy" is under 1 Joule.
    If an 8mm BB was used and it weighed .2 of a gram, it would also need to be under 328fps/1joule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

Nope, if it's under a joule it's legal. Because a joule is a measure of energy, a 3g BB will move slower than a .2g one at 1 joule; a brick can hit you at 1 joule but it'll be moving really slowly indeed, whereas a grain of sand could be hurtling through outer space pretty damn fast before it'll hit at a joule.

Explanatory thread on this very sub-forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

..so to clear it up.

Shooting at 1J means that your ammo is travelling at the right velocity for its weight.

328fps is the right velocity for 0.2g ammunition.

Using heavier ammo in order to drop FPS is pointless as you will still be over 1J and hence YES your device will still be illegal.

Advertisement