Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diesel Tank at Home

• 18-11-2009 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to plan for the future (2 weeks to be exact) and am looking for economies from my car.

I am considering putting a tank up at home and getting it filled with diesel when needed.

Does anyone know:
    - Is it cheaper to buy this way?
    - What price / litre you can buy at?
    - Is there a pump needed?

I have tried to get an online quote for buying road diesel but no go.

Any ideas?

Rgds,

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eamonntheviking

The big drawback is when you go to your tank some fine day and its been emptied.1000euro gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You need to order a minimum amount of diesel from the wholesaler and therefore you would need a big tank to store it.

A few years back the minimum was 10 or 15,000 litres of diesel and 20/25,000 litres of unleaded.

So best of luck! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

You don't always get the diesel much cheaper either. We just ordered a tankful for work and it was only about 10- 15c per litre less than at the pumps. And that was for something like 5,000 litres !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

it works out a small bit cheaper works out even cheaper if u can claim the vat back or are willing to run the risk of using agricultural diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

its not worth the hassle imo, the cost of a good tank, the likelihood of it being nicked, the minimual savings as you'd probably have to take about 4,000 ltrs minimum and you have to pay on delivery etc etc

And of course there is the huge likelyhood that the price will move about 3 times each week and you can end up sitting on fuel thats dearer than the pumps.

False economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Haven't a clue what a tank would costs, but if going by what's been said here, 4,000 litres at a saving of 10c/15c per litre is only a saving of about €500 a year and I'm guessing the tank costs more than that? Now if you were to go by the MPG of my Ford Transit, that 4,000 litres will get me about 24,000 miles, if you were to go by the MPG of an average car, that's about 40,000 miles, average use being 10,000 per year, it will take you 4 years to use it. Now if it's going to cost you about 5,000 to get the first fill and the tank, then that's definitely a false economy over 4 years as you could use that 5K for things that will earn you or save you far more than €500. Even with my use in the Transit, considering it would take a year to use it nearly, having to spend €5,000 just to save 10% isn't worth it as that €5K could be invested to make much more than €500 elsewhere.

Hammertime, what's your take on fuel cards? I'm considering signing up for one, do some garages have a problem accepting them as the fuel is generally cheaper on them, or is it all the same to the garage?

cormie wrote: »
    Haven't a clue what a tank would costs, but if going by what's been said here, 4,000 litres at a saving of 10c/15c per litre is only a saving of about €500 a year and I'm guessing the tank costs more than that? Now if you were to go by the MPG of my Ford Transit, that 4,000 litres will get me about 24,000 miles, if you were to go by the MPG of an average car, that's about 40,000 miles, average use being 10,000 per year, it will take you 4 years to use it. Now if it's going to cost you about 5,000 to get the first fill and the tank, then that's definitely a false economy over 4 years as you could use that 5K for things that will earn you or save you far more than €500. Even with my use in the Transit, considering it would take a year to use it nearly, having to spend €5,000 just to save 10% isn't worth it as that €5K could be invested to make much more than €500 elsewhere.

Hammertime, what's your take on fuel cards? I'm considering signing up for one, do some garages have a problem accepting them as the fuel is generally cheaper on them, or is it all the same to the garage?

hi Cormie

as an aside I'd be ASTOUNDED if you were saving anything like 15c on buying it direct, it'll be more like 8c imo. Especially on a tiny amount like 5k, its not really worth their while delivering it as a once off sale tbh.

Regarding Fuel Cards, I don't accept any of them, not worth the hassle and you end up having your place blocked up with artics, big trucks etc etc As a user of them you'll get frustrated at having to go to certain places and finding there are none near you when you need it most. If you shop around at the pumps I do believe you'll get pretty much the same deal as you would on a fuel card, however I'm not an expert in them by any means.

I think the pattern going forward is for unbranded stations buyig fuel at the cheapest price, which in turn means less comapny influence = less places taking fuel cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭bog master

Hi All

Have a lot of experience in the building and plant hire trade and many have small tanks in the yard for jeeps/vans etc along with red diesel for the machines. No problem getting deliveries of 1000 litres but last time I checked, there is not a huge saving, its more the conveinence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Berty wrote: »
    You need to order a minimum amount of diesel from the wholesaler and therefore you would need a big tank to store it.

A few years back the minimum was 10 or 15,000 litres of diesel and 20/25,000 litres of unleaded.

10 to 15 k ltrs. ??????

we used to buy 2 to 3 k ltrs but I know most companies will be happy to deliver 1000 ltrs. not a lot of savings and you need a secure storage, especially if you live in the the L & LK transit van catchment area, we had a visit from those a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to dig into this a bit further and try to generate a setup cost (tank etc) and also get a "today" price for filling that tank from a supplier.

I am going to gather a list of what is needed so I can generate a complete price:

What I think I need:
    1. 1000 litre tank.
    2. Blocks to raise it. (I have these)
    3. Piping (?) for transferring diesel to car. (What is proper name of this?)
    4. Nozzle (or equivalent) for pouring into car tank. (What is proper name of this?)
    5. And lastly - Diesel.

Can anyone think of anything else that is needed? Have I omitted anything for pricing purposes?

Rgds,

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

snowman707 wrote: »
    especially if you live in the the L & LK transit van catchment area, we had a visit from those a couple of weeks ago.

:D I love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Hammertime wrote: »
    hi Cormie

as an aside I'd be ASTOUNDED if you were saving anything like 15c on buying it direct, it'll be more like 8c imo. Especially on a tiny amount like 5k, its not really worth their while delivering it as a once off sale tbh.

You save closer to 5c-10c from my experience.

We have always had a tank at home.

Benefits:
    • Handy... On a sunday I can wash the car, check the air pressures and fill the tank without leaving the house
    • Cost effective... debateable, but you make some savings on the wholesale and you can stock up when prices are low/before the budget. We managed to avoid a lot of the crazy prices last year this way. You can just as easily get it wrong.
    • Tax efficient/less accounting... again, you could use a fuel card, but if you are self employed it makes more sense. We have a few different businesses
    We also use a substantial amount of marked oil for the tractors, and diesel/kerosene for the heating so there are deliveries anyway. NO we don't put green diesel in the cars.

Disadvantages
    • God awful bill when it needs filling
    • Possibility of theft (tank is kept locked, all external hoses are steel and the flexible ones are in a locked house.. there is also a dog)
    • Petrol evaporates and goes off... so not a runner

Unless you have a business and a lot of vehicles (last time I counted we have 3 diesel cars, 4 tractors, A JCB, and a few other diesel powered implements), it makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

I went down this route last April before the last budget. I purchased a tank/hose etc and installed it in a outside garage.

The tank I got is 1380 ltrs and I bought it and the hose together from WFC Oils. I think it cost maybe €380 for both but could have been slightly less.

I didn't actually leave the tank high enough so I'm waiting to empty it to raise it about another 3 blocks

I filled it and I think it was only 2-3 cent cheaper that the pump price at the time and I expect it hasn't changed much. I reckon after 3-4 fills I will have saved the installation cost and I can have a tank of diesel for convience and energy security.

TBH having done it I'm unclear if it is worth it but I will fill before the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

maidhc wrote: »
    [*]......(tank is kept locked, all external hoses are steel and the flexible ones are in a locked house.. there is also a dog)[/LIST]

...god, that's terrible - what did the dog ever do to you to deserve being locked up ?? :p:p
    E30i wrote: »
    ... for .....energy security.

LOL, I know we're at Peak Oil, but it's not that bad yet !!

(I know, because my brother is currently working HERE and yes, that IS Siberia...........! :eek:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Dummy wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to dig into this a bit further and try to generate a setup cost (tank etc) and also get a "today" price for filling that tank from a supplier.

I am going to gather a list of what is needed so I can generate a complete price:

What I think I need:
    1. 1000 litre tank.
    2. Blocks to raise it. (I have these)
    3. Piping (?) for transferring diesel to car. (What is proper name of this?)
    4. Nozzle (or equivalent) for pouring into car tank. (What is proper name of this?)
    5. And lastly - Diesel.

Can anyone think of anything else that is needed? Have I omitted anything for pricing purposes?

Rgds,

D

A Lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

Berty wrote: »

thats not what the OP meant.You can buy a 500L Tank and just get it filled from his local Heating Oil supplier.I dont think he is on about a tank of 15,000l.

E30i wrote: »
    I reckon after 3-4 fills I will have saved the installation cost and I can have a tank of diesel for convience and energy security.

Watch out for this dude:

oreo33-mad-max-2-04.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

Dummy wrote: »
    I'm trying to plan for the future (2 weeks to be exact) and am looking for economies from my car.

I am considering putting a tank up at home and getting it filled with diesel when needed.

Does anyone know:
    - Is it cheaper to buy this way?
    - What price / litre you can buy at?
    - Is there a pump needed?

I have tried to get an online quote for buying road diesel but no go.

Any ideas?

Rgds,

D
    heres a second hand one that is reasonably priced.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/trucks/976512

I hope your tanks never leak lads, the cleanup charges for contamination of even a small amount of around 1000 ltrs run up to €50k very quickly !

you have no sumps, chambers etc etc.

hi Cormie

Regarding Fuel Cards, I don't accept any of them, not worth the hassle and you end up having your place blocked up with artics, big trucks etc etc As a user of them you'll get frustrated at having to go to certain places and finding there are none near you when you need it most. If you shop around at the pumps I do believe you'll get pretty much the same deal as you would on a fuel card, however I'm not an expert in them by any means.

I think the pattern going forward is for unbranded stations buyig fuel at the cheapest price, which in turn means less comapny influence = less places taking fuel cards.

Thanks for the input. A lot of the fuel card companies that have rang me have said there is no fee for having the card, you use it when you want and keep it as long as you want. So I guess I could sign up to a few different ones and if the price is cheaper than that at the pump itself, just use the card. Would also be handy if someone else needed to fill up for me so I can just give them the card rather than money, or them having to take the money from their pocket and I pay them back. I can see the reason for not wanting it at your garage alright, but from my point maybe it's worth it? :)

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. A lot of the fuel card companies that have rang me have said there is no fee for having the card, you use it when you want and keep it as long as you want. So I guess I could sign up to a few different ones and if the price is cheaper than that at the pump itself, just use the card. Would also be handy if someone else needed to fill up for me so I can just give them the card rather than money, or them having to take the money from their pocket and I pay them back. I can see the reason for not wanting it at your garage alright, but from my point maybe it's worth it? :)

It is probably as easy to just get a visa business card...

Never heard of that, but you don't get cheaper fuel with that I guess :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You can get an electrical pump with nozzle in some of the hardware/tool shops.

It runs of 12v, has two clamps, so that you can connect it to a car battery or the likes and nozzle works the same way as one at the filling station.

I have one, that I use for filling generators from a tank and it's dead handy.

There are other types of pumps, where you use a drill to drive it.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

kodak wrote: »
    A Lock.

If you live in the bog and have a big dog it might be worth considering.

Otherwise difficult to stop pilfering.

Marlow wrote: »
    You can get an electrical pump with nozzle in some of the hardware/tool shops.

It runs of 12v, has two clamps, so that you can connect it to a car battery or the likes and nozzle works the same way as one at the filling station.

I have one, that I use for filling generators from a tank and it's dead handy.

There are other types of pumps, where you use a drill to drive it.

/M

sorry but are you insane? You are pumping petrol using an electric pump?

Jesus that's sucicidal.
    :eek:

Jesus that's sucicidal.

Maybe you should check your facts, before you open your mouth. How do you think the pumps at the service station work ?

The pumps i referred to are build for that specific purpose and certified for the pumping of fuel. Also, I'm pumping diesel, not petrol, doesn't make a difference to the safety of the pump though.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

My father has done this for years, we have a 1200 litre tank in the garage locked in so no one can steal it. It is fierce handy and is quite cheap too, I would say their is a 15 to 20c saving, we always order the home heating oil (Kerosene) and Road Diesel (White) off the same company and they deliver both at once as those lorries have compartmentalised tanks for Agri, Marine, Home Heating, Road etc.

This is quite common in the countryside and the same plastic tank as is used for the oil heating is usable for the diesel, all you need is a long length of Diesel hose and a Diesel nozzle, you also need to rise the bottom of the tank up a minimum of 6 feet or higher from the ground level to get a good gravity flow going or else it will take all day to fill especially when the tank goes low; I should know as I recently rose our tank up and got a greater diameter hose and the diesel comes gushing out even though the tank is practically empty!.

The crappy thing about having a Diesel tank at home means I and my sister were gifted petrol cars so we couldn't pilfer the fuel!

netwhizkid wrote: »
    The crappy thing about having a Diesel tank at home means I and my sister were gifted petrol cars so we couldn't pilfer the fuel!

haha.. my parents did the same for my sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I hope your tanks never leak lads, the cleanup charges for contamination of even a small amount of around 1000 ltrs run up to €50k very quickly !

you have no sumps, chambers etc etc.

How is that different to home heating oil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Marlow wrote: »

Jesus that's sucicidal.
    Maybe you should check your facts, before you open your mouth. How do you think the pumps at the service station work ?
    Oh dear. Marlow, go check Hammertime's post history. He might have a better grasp of service station 'facts' than you realised.

I'm almost certain there's a meme for this situation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

We used to have one but it was secured inside a garage. Hose reached outside the garage so the van could pull up alongside. It was cheaper in bulk years ago which was why it was bought, but only for business not for personal use. But its not cheaper anymore. Another advantage was you could fill cars/vans in the morning. So they didn't have to looking for a garage and could straight to a job. Handy if theres heavy traffic, and a garage is out of your way. I don't think I'd bother for domestic use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

BostonB wrote: »
    How is that different to home heating oil?

It is just green propaganda, I powerwashed out our tank a few years ago and easily contaminated a couple thousand gallons of water, but I am not really bothered because in this country there will be trillions and trillions of more water to come and wash the old crap away. Worrying about water or its pollution is the last thing we should do in this country as we are blessed with a neverending supply of the cursed stuff from sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

netwhizkid wrote: »
    It is just green propaganda, I powerwashed out our tank a few years ago and easily contaminated a couple thousand gallons of water, but I am not really bothered because in this country there will be trillions and trillions of more water to come and wash the old crap away. Worrying about water or its pollution is the last thing we should do in this country as we are blessed with a neverending supply of the cursed stuff from sky.

....indeed....for the first time ever, I failed to ford a flood today. For me, normally the first to test, but today, I baulked.....the idea of water inside my 968 was just toooooo much.

...and another thing - when you consider where oil comes from..........yep, the ground, surrounded by groundwater..........makes you wonder what all the brouhaha is all about.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Jesus that's sucicidal.

If that was the case you would put your life at risk every time you drove a fuel injected petrol car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

samih wrote: »
    If that was the case you would put your life at risk every time you drove a fuel injected petrol car.

think its the clamping and unclamping of the battery terminals thats the danger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

bog master wrote: »
    Hi All

Have a lot of experience in the building and plant hire trade and many have small tanks in the yard for jeeps/vans etc along with red diesel for the machines. No problem getting deliveries of 1000 litres but last time I checked, there is not a huge saving, its more the conveinence.

This is spot on IMO and exactly what I was told. Get if for convenience not necessarily any cost savings. One other reason for getting the fuel would be to have some level of control over the quality.

Oh dear. Marlow, go check Hammertime's post history. He might have a better grasp of service station 'facts' than you realised.

If that was the case, he'd asume, that I'm most likely talking about pumps certified for dispensing fuel and he wouldn't have made that comment.

/M

Advertisement