Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to drive in mud or get out when stuck in mud??

• 18-11-2009 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

hi... i really need some help with this. I've just moved to a new house and i have to park on the grass in front of the house. The only problem is when its rains (which is pretty much all the time), I'm not able to drive up into my parking space cause i just get stuck in the mud with my tyres just spinning. i can always get out when i eventually manage to park it but just not able to drive in the mud!! any ideas or tips??? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Auto or manual?

If Auto it ain't gonna be easy. Manual I would stick the car in gear and lift off the clutch very slowly until you get traction without pressing the accelerator at all. Not good practice in normal circumstances but in snow / mud it works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

nursemar88 wrote: »
    hi... i really need some help with this. I've just moved to a new house and i have to park on the grass in front of the house. The only problem is when its rains (which is pretty much all the time), I'm not able to drive up into my parking space cause i just get stuck in the mud with my tyres just spinning. i can always get out when i eventually manage to park it but just not able to drive in the mud!! any ideas or tips??? thanks
    Not easy to get a good tip here. Move gently up and reverse, do not spin the wheels.
    I had very same situation before I finally built my driveway. The front heavy Mercedes 123 would not move in the mud at all (just spinning the wheels making the situation worse), while the Volkswagen Beetle with an engine behind the rear axle and light front, would simply fly through the same soft surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A bit of plywood under the tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

As above !

Or just nice low revs. Too many people are rev happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

lorry load of stone perhaps on the mud...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There is nothing as slippy as wet, mucky grass (except for black ice), add a bit of a gradient and it even leaves 4x4's struggling.

In the long run, the only solution is to put in a different surface / find another parking spot ...as this wet weather continues conditions will only get worse over time ...no matter how carefully you drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

You could try parking the car so the front wheels are still on a good surface and the rest of the car is on the grass.

That's if your car is front wheel drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Had this problem myself, got to winter and we dug up the garden, and got a lorry load of non sinking stones, now I can park properly without worrying about getting out.*

*Unless I brake a little hard and push some stones forward, digging a little hole :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

ok thanks everyone for all the ideas... firstly i dont have a problem reversing out of the spot(ie i havent got stuck in the mud), i just cant get up the grass to park cause my tyres keep spinning in the mud...and also im renting the place so a new surface is totally out of the question... dont think i can convince my landlord to pay for it! any more suggestions??? thanks again...

how do you then move the car if your not pressing the accelorator? won't it just cut out? not doubting you but just dont know much bout how cars work...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

how do you then move the car if your not pressing the accelorator? won't it just cut out? not doubting you but just dont know much bout how cars work...

In most circumstances it could and should stall as there is good traction but in snow / mud it is the best way to get you moving IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you know of anyone cutting xmas trees, get a few bootloads of the trimmed branches and lay them over the grass, they should be flat not sticking up in the air.
    Break off any bits that point upwards, lay a good covering of them and you should be good to go, I have used this trick before in fields with a 4x4 and trailer.
    The bark is very grippy and they sit off the ground enough to not sink in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Keep as straight as possible and get a bit of a run at it in low revs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

With lots of careful clutch work. Don't engage the clutch as normal (ie, don't take your foot off the pedal as normal). Very gently lift it off. If it's just about to stall, use a tiny bit of throttle, and I mean tiny.

The best thing is for you is to get somebody who knows what they are doing to show you how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭irish_ninja

Get stuck in mud all the time myself.But with a tractor. Go forward fast as you can,while trying to grip the ground by turning the steering wheel all over the place.Keep on driving back and forward with no stopping. Its a technique,really hard to explain in fairness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Get stuck in mud all the time myself.But with a tractor. Go forward fast as you can,while trying to grip the ground by turning the steering wheel all over the place.Keep on driving back and forward with no stopping. Its a technique,really hard to explain in fairness...

or...

how to thoroughly dig up a front lawn in five minutes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭irish_ninja

peasant wrote: »
    or...

how to thoroughly dig up a front lawn in five minutes :D

pfft either that or else his car becomes a piece of art.
    p.s only takes two minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

try reversing in your space & driving out .. a fwd car has more traction going back wards

don't attempt if there is a fall into your parking space as you may get stuck & be unable to drive out again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...or, Poor Man's Traction Control: low revs, clutch all the way out, tickle the brake with your left foot :eek: (for fwd cars).....or little squeeze of the handbrake (if rwd...)...........not for the faint hearted in confined spaces !! :eek:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

nursemar88 - I think the only real solution is to find somewhere else to park. Every time you drive on the grass it'll get a bit more churned up. Grass doesn't grow in winter, so it'll keep getting worse until you finally get stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

Reverse in as said above, if you have a couple of rubber mats put them in front of the tyres, rinse the mats off afterwards.

If all else fails buy a horse might be only one hp but he'll get you out of a lot of slippery places and starts first go every time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm surprised no-one has yet advised the OP to try starting in 2nd or even 3rd gear. You might need to slip the clutch a bit, but it should make it a lot easier.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ok thanks everyone for all the ideas... firstly i dont have a problem reversing out of the spot(ie i havent got stuck in the mud), i just cant get up the grass to park cause my tyres keep spinning in the mud...and also im renting the place so a new surface is totally out of the question... dont think i can convince my landlord to pay for it! any more suggestions??? thanks again...

I you don't ask you won't know. If the landlord realises you can't tolerate this situation anymore perhaps he might do something to keep a paying tenant, empty houses don't pay the mortgage. Driving in & out is abd enough but what about all that muck messing your shoes and car mats.

thanks to everyone for the suggestions.i shall be testing probably all of them over the next week!! fingers crossed something works! :):confused::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Reverse it up, simples.

If it won't back up there, it won't go up at all.

Advertisement