Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are our poorly maintained roads responsible for accidents?m

• 18-11-2009 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭

I can appreciate that we're having some pretty bad weather at the moment but the condition of the roads around county Cork are absolutely appalling, even the duel carriageways seem to have potholes and sections ripped off them. Poorly maintained roads must be a major factor in traffic accidents, especially as you can't see the damage as the roads are wet most of the time. Has anyone else encountered this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

I have,

Driving anywhere off a main road in Co. Cork is inviting trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

I'm hearing about how bad the roads in cork are at the moment alright. I've to go down there on the weekend and my car is lower than snail sh!t so i'll propably buckle a wheel or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

There'd be less accidents if people matched their driving to the conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Fair comment but I do think that when your driving on a main duel carriageway that they should be maintained to a certain standard at least, it's impossible to see potholes on a wet road and it's wet most of the time in fairness. I do think there's a serious fall off in road maintenance of late though and considering what we have to pay to use the roads I don't think it's acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...that is a trite statement, and the sort of simplistic nonsense the RSA spout. 4 dead young women in Galway today would beggar to differ, I'd wager.

And five more fatalities within 3kms of my house inside the last 3 years are to me, a damning indictment of the contempt motorists are held in by Co Council's and their negiligence with regard to road standards generally.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...that is a trite statement, and the sort of simplistic nonsense the RSA spout. 4 dead young women in Galway today would beggar to differ, I'd wager..

In fairness, your diving right in yourself. How do you know it wasnt down to bad driving/driver error on the part of the car driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Stekelly wrote: »
    In fairness, your diving right in yourself. How do you know it wasnt down to bad driving/driver error on the part of the car driver?

No less sweeping than the comment I was addressing. That and the evidence from the people living beside the bends in question, on the TV inside the last 1/2 hr. Another fatality in the same spot Aug 09, Aug 08, and 7 non-fatal accidents in the last.........10 days or so ?

That is most assuredly what used to be known as an accident 'Black Spot' and there's an onus on those who receive our motoring taxes, the roads are to a suitable standard.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Stekelly wrote: »

+1

OP, yes poor road maintenance and design certainly contribute to traffic accidents, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

At the current rate that the road my house is on is degrading I calculate that within two months I wont be able to drive the car on it, this is no over exaggeration and I will get pics to prove it if required.

The locals have even taken it upon themselves to fix the road up, of course in the process their "repairs", lasted 1 day and of course left a mess all over the road leaving it worse than ever.

While the road is small and you cant drive fast enough on it to have an accident its a sign of how the roads are being left to rot in the "recession", the road would normally have had at the very least a good repair job done on it by now and sometimes a full relaying but not this time and its worse than its ever been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Considering the road maintenance conditions in large part of the country, that means not driving at all, ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

budgets have been slashed - road maintenance is not a priority for councils - social engagements/christmas parties/christmas lights are more pressing matters.:rolleyes:

I agree that the roads are a disgrace and I would ask where the "plastic bag tax" is supposed to be going ....wasnt it meant to go on Roads ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I would say VRT has killed more people than bad roads have, if you look at safety equipment it has been stripped out of cars landing on our shore to avoid excessive VRT taxation on the added safety devices, people should be hung for their bloody greedy hands in it and maybe if some of their family were bagged and tagged in some crashes as a result they would understand the errors of their ways :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

PCPhoto wrote: »
    budgets have been slashed - road maintenance is not a priority for councils - social engagements/christmas parties/christmas lights are more pressing matters.:rolleyes:

I agree that the roads are a disgrace and I would ask where the "plastic bag tax" is supposed to be going ....wasnt it meant to go on Roads ?

Plastic bag tax is ring-fenced for environmental schemes.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/waste-management-and-recycling/plastic_bag_environmental_levy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

junkyard wrote: »
    I can appreciate that we're having some pretty bad weather at the moment but the condition of the roads around county Cork are absolutely appalling, even the duel carriageways seem to have potholes and sections ripped off them. Poorly maintained roads must be a major factor in traffic accidents, especially as you can't see the damage as the roads are wet most of the time. Has anyone else encountered this?

In fairness the County Council are fighting a loosing battle in the past few weeks. It is a tough job keeping the roads in Cork passable when they have a habit of getting washed away over night.

I'm not standing up for the Council, because they are a shower of wasters, but compared to other countries in Europe with better climates our roads get the most desperate hammering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭storker

No, no, no.

Accidents are caused by drivers who refuse to cop on and adjust their driving to suit the conditions. The myth of the "killer road" is one that needs to be put to bed instead of being encouraged by an irresponsible press and drivers who think that the roads should be maintained or upgraded to suit their own driving style.

From the news reports I hear, the most common fatal accidents seem to be when a car leaves the road entirely or has a head on collision with another car. For a head on collision to happen, one vehicle must be on the wrong side of the road, but roads don't pick up cars and throw them against trees or walls, and roads don't pick up cars and drop them onto the wrong carriageway. Drivers do that all by themselves.

Stork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭storker

Pete4779 wrote: »
    Considering the road maintenance conditions in large part of the country, that means not driving at all, ever.

...or just sensibly. Unfortunately, many drivers would find both options equally unthinkable.

Stork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I would say VRT has killed more people than bad roads have, if you look at safety equipment it has been stripped out of cars landing on our shore to avoid excessive VRT taxation on the added safety devices, people should be hung for their bloody greedy hands in it and maybe if some of their family were bagged and tagged in some crashes as a result they would understand the errors of their ways :mad:
    And yet these same cars still manage to retain their electric windows, metallic paint, and alloy wheels? The sad fact of the matter is that most Irish buyers are too stupid to specify ESP instead of more neighbour-impressing options.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Almost all my male friends have crashed because of anomalies in the road.

Metal man holes 6 inches bigger then the road surface surrounding them was a trap for my bro on his motorbike. (the road around it had worn away on the main road)

Massive pothole in my estate caused my front wheel of my scooter at the time to shatter in two along with the two suspension forks, front flipping over to my road rash.

While doing up the road to carrick, The council tought it would be funny to not finish the left hand side of the left side of the road, Was driving perfectly fine on the road untill the right side was 5inchs higher then the left (Of the left hand side of the road - hard to explain) and my back wheel of my bike went into the 5inch groove while my front wheel stayed on the 5inch playform. another nasty spill.

Massive pothole on the way to carrick tore the oil sump out of two of my friends cars on the same day, not a crash, but damage all the same.

I can keep going on and on and on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

junkyard wrote: »

driving in cork is an absolute nightmare, apart from the scum bags littering the city at night...

every second road seems to be 2 feet wide and have cars coming in all directions at once., and of course be littered with pot holes and generally date back to the roman period

not to mention a bewildering array of traffic lights and junctions even the locals don't even know how to navigate....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Probably not coincidental that Donegal has the highest number of fatalities and worst roads. It is a contributing factor, but its only a guess at how many accidents are caused by it.

But what pisses me off no end is a junction just up from my home place, the thing is a disaster, 3 people have been killed at it (separate accidents) and everyone in the council agrees it should be closed, but because a few residents will have to drive 500yr extra (there is a tunnel under the road 100yr away) they keep it open. Its only a mater of time before the next fatality and then it will be closed, but it'll be too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Galway1989

Road condition plays a major role in accidents i'm sure. Everyone goes way too fast on our roads and are not expecting the unexpected.
    Most people try to approach corners at a pace slow enough to allow an oncoming car to pass but do they think of what else could be around the bend? A cyclist could be on your side of the road, while you're meeting an oncoming lorry taking up most of the road. Will you be able to stop in time? Not exaggerating like but you get the picture. The roads are not wide enough.

Driving is hazardous enough without having to cope with poor road surfaces aswell. Potholes can do serious damage. If you come on one at speed, it could send the car out of control.
    We know all of this already, and yet we still have the lucky escapes or accidents....

Safe driving and Rest in Peace my fellow students at NUI Galway.

Advertisement